Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Textiles and tea, socks and boundaries

 Yesterday's presenter is a dyer and weaver who works in ikat, where she paints or dyes the threads ahead of weaving, to create interesting shapes and pools of patterns. There were big technical problems, losing her repeatedly, so they had to salvage what they could, and here's the result. Still pretty good.











She started out wanting to make wall art but has been drawn into wearable clothes. But her work with words, in the piece with sayings from a large number of religions, and symbols of peace and unity,  the landscapes, and that group work, are all wall hangings.

The long gallery piece is a communal schoolwide work, where every student,  teacher and staff worker was invited to add a piece of work, using strips of textiles they brought in, meaningful to them. The blue markers indexed,  to help them find their own contribution, in a work over twenty feet long.

She started in the seventies, with a very subdued natural color range, but burst out into color later, as you see.  Weaving blogistas, have you tried ikat, or fancied it?

Meanwhile back in the sock world, the first sock for me is done. 

Rose, I think this is yarn you gave me. It knits up nicely, very friendly.  As you see, I used different color for heel and cuff, because I'm not sure how far the main color will go. They're going to be great to wear.

November is full of memories for me, aside from the general memories of family and war dead, because it has birthdays of two sisters and my parents'  wedding anniversary.

If the sisters had observed and respected my boundaries better, if my parents had dealt with their bullying better, my life would have worked better. Just a gentle reminder to older sibs who wonder why younger ones have become distant. Sometimes they can't protect themselves till they're adults, or you've left the family home. Then they're not in touch any more. But it's not too late to get in contact gently, and try again, on a different footing. 

One of my sisters did, in very old age, and said she didn't know what to do other than feel guilty. It didn't occur to her to say she was sorry. And I knew that would bring on a burst of rage if I mentioned it. But I accepted this was the best she could do. No point in pushing for what another person can't do. I think this is true of friends, too, when they let you down. They're probably doing their best.

Odd how this continues to be important even into old age and survival. But now in my turn,  I'm observing other people's boundaries with care. 


Happy day, everyone! How do you feel about boundaries, yours and other people's? No need to answer this question if it crosses your boundaries!




35 comments:

  1. Lovely, all of it. I copied and will share your Boundaries list. Barb in TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's helpful. I particularly liked the permission not to anticipate other people's needs. Women are so socialized to do that.

      Delete
  2. I was listening to a podcast yesterday (Armchair Expert) and the guest was Trevor Noah. There was a great deal of discussion on just those topics- boundaries and how we cannot expect people to change what they cannot change and if that creates an issue we can't live with, then it's probably best to move on. Very interesting and a lot of truth. I found Trevor Noah to be incredibly thoughtful with a lot of insight which was not surprising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like him very much. He's thoughtful and balanced and simply knows a lot. Maybe I'll find that podcast.

      Delete
    2. I mostly enjoy that podcast. On Mondays they usually interview what we would think of as celebrities and on Thursdays, they interview scientists and doctors and authors and all sorts of people that we probably haven't ever heard of. Trevor Noah is starting his own podcast. It's called "What Now?"

      Delete
    3. I like Noah, and I listened to the podcast you mentioned. He was lovely, where he could wedge in a word with the other two chronic interrupters. I find this often in podcasting, hard to know who's talking at times, and fragmented conversations. I'll check his own out, though.

      Delete
  3. Those socks are gorgeous, and I do love the shades the weaver has created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those colors great, also very wearable, they flow. I bet they're good when the wearer moves.

      Delete
  4. I like all of this. I have a problem with needy people. I am a fixer and my need to fix always kicks in. I am, in my elder years, understanding this and working on changing my ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to refrain from repairing people when it seems obvious what they should do!

      Delete
  5. Great socks! Love the wall hanging with all those contributions. I recently share a quilt with 100 squares from the 100 counties of NC. Community projects need good leadership. And yes, boundaries are sometimes necessary to continue our lives healthily. Sometimes the other person may feel hurt. That's their emotion to solve. Our own health may be more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NC has 100 counties?? I'm used to a couple of dozen! I love community art, have organized a few community projects.

      Delete
  6. Love that sock. Am so glad the yarn is with you, and not still in my closet! I printed the "Boundaries" and have it on my fridge. Now ALL I have to do is abide by that list. So appreciated to have like-minded people who blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, better out and about on my feet! I'm glad the boundaries note is useful. Yes, now comes the hard part -- working on it.

      Delete
  7. This bit of a sad post, Boud, in reading about the unhappiness in your family caused by parents and siblings. It is unfortunate that words/actions can wound so deeply and have such lasting repercussions. I have also had similar instances and the boundaries list you included was good to see as I often need reminding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know the term boundaries back then, but certainly could have used a bit of help! But now it's good to remember other people's boundaries, too.

      Delete
  8. Wow. It always amazes me just how different all the weaving can be.
    I’m tempted to try a little for myself. But I know it will not be kind to the body. So I’ll stick to what I do.
    Like I said before. I really don’t need another hobby.
    It’s hard to set boundaries. Especially for women who have been taught that we don’t have them. We are to be everything to everyone and never. Ever make waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think big weaving would be hard for you. But you might think about stick weaving, using drinking straws, with your granddaughter. She can, when she's older, make a hair band, or a bookmark something like that. You can make art with these simple tools and not wear out your body, a plus.

      And yes I think women are trained to anticipate and fill other people's needs, way beyond what's necessary.

      Delete
  9. My mother had a great relationship with one of her brothers but the other made any relationship difficult. She got along with him as best as was possible under the circumstances without compromising who she was. It wasn’t easy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sounds wise. Also strong, not easy to resist just giving in, keeping quiet, anything to keep the peace.

      Delete
  10. Her use of color rhythm is beautiful.
    You share good words here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful and vibrant colours on your blog today! When I was a kid, some of my boundaries were respected and others were not. Spent a lot of years as an adult figuring that out and getting better boundaries myself. I suspect that's true for most people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds mature and grounded, really lovely.

      Delete
  12. I am thankful not to have the boundary problem with my siblings. Two were boys and my sister was eleven years younger. She and I did not connect until she was a late teen. We became best friends and still are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it. My brothers were not my friends. But they were not the subject of the post.

      Delete
  13. That is an intereseting technique but I can't see myself dyeing - at least just yet!
    Boundaries are so important. It is good to see younger people and children being taught this. It was unheard of in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We were never taught that we had any rights!

      Delete
  14. Sometimes the safest thing you can do is keep your distance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living a fairly small life now, in which boundaries don't seem to be an issue. It probably helps that I never had siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really wish I had the nerve to wear garments like she's showing - I love them on other people but I know I'd look like a Goodyear blimp.
    I guess I'm fortunate that I'm an only child and no siblings to cause problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son, having observed my sisters, has said much the same!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!