Thursday, November 2, 2023

Textiles and Tea, freecycle and chess

I missed Textiles and Tea at the usual Tuesday time because of Handsome Son's visit, so I caught up on another site yesterday, and here's Felicia Lo, dyer, knitter, spinner and weaver.

She loves color now, but didn't always. She was in competitive ballroom dancing for several years, and there learned to enjoy the vivid colors needed to catch the judge's eye and emphasize the dance moves. She's a trained pharmacist, too, multi talented. But she's most proud of having founded her school of textile arts.

A person after my own heart, she has little interest in weave structures, usually staying with plain tabby. Her interest is in the color changes from her hand dyed yarns. She has used KoolAid for dyeing, safe, nontoxic, I used to use it, too. Take a look. I've asked my library to buy her book.












She knits socks, but with a sock machine, needing production speed.  Aren't those saturated colors great? After watching her enthusiasm, I really wanted to get spinning and weaving again. 

She spun, dyed and knitted the sweater you see,  likes stitch patterns in knitting, though not in weaving.  She taught herself to knit very young, finishing UFOs for an older relative, using the diagrams that came with the yarn, such a self starter. 

The host Kathie was wearing a similar color sweater, as you see. There must have been a memo. Now I need to get my sock finished and the wall hanging, and get back to spinning and weaving. That skirt won't make itself.

I took care of Handsome Son's box of stuff, some good ingredients are now in my kitchen, some things tossed, a collection of incense sticks free cycled.


This group was picked up about an hour after I posted it.

And the puzzle answer, if you have an alternate, please say, is

VIEWPOINT

We need a little something in our crusade to smash the patriarchy, so here's a little something


Happy day, everyone, I'm knitting on with a background of J. Draper, London historian, on YouTube. 



Great researcher, and very entertaining. I'd say required watching for Londoners interested in the historic nooks and crannies of the city, as well as for anyone wanting insights into various bits of European history, etymology, paleontology, politics, clothing, wars, you name it. All in short digestible form.

Speaking of history and the terrible events unfolding in Gaza, a word about Jewish people being targeted there and elsewhere for being who they are. That's just as wrong as discrimination against Palestinians for being who they are. Everyone is valuable and to be respected.  My list of support flags is growing.





31 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about the textiles and dyes. The colours are great. I am going to have to learn more about this as brilliant daughter has just got a job as as art, ceramics and textile technician in a girls' high school. Although her speciality is ceramics, they have asked her to look after all the textile stocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you in here, Tasker. That sounds like a great job for your daughter. I'm a textile artist, so there's a lot of attention paid in here to various forms of textile arts.

      Delete
  2. I can remember dying either Jessie's or Lily's hair with Kool-Aid back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is appalling and unbelievable the antisemitism that is coming to the fore. No, perhaps not unbelievable. The people are not always responsible for the actions of their government.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of us who've had to campaign against our government's actions can attest to that.

      Delete
  4. What’s with the antisemitism around the world? It doesn’t take long for ugliness to rear its head. Humankind can be such a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been there all along. But people are emboldened to say it out loud.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. The puzzle asks for a nine letter word. Those dashes literally replace letters. So, this word, lovely as it is, and I tried it, too, before I counted, is too many letters.

      Delete
  6. So much colour. Beautiful fabrics.
    A sock knitting machine sounds very interesting indeed might have to Google
    As for the vile humans targeting a group of people, no matter who the people are, or the reasons. Are definitely part of the problem and it’s how these wars start. We should start loving one another. Start that ripple, watch it turn to a massive wave and tsunami. And then we can change the world. If only

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a couple of sock knitting machines. Very old, they knit a row at a time on a circular frame with needles that flipped open and closed. Actually they were a bit tedious, always looking out for dropped stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think modern ones are very similar. I believe you have to do hand finishing, not experienced with them.

      Delete
  8. Love the vibrant colors. Knitting socks is on my dream to learn list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did get the answer and left a clue but you missed it!!
    Anti-anything is bad. Here we have large populations of both sides and it gets messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're too subtle, I'll miss your clue! Wouldn't be the first time.

      Delete
  10. Could you explain "plain tabby"? I assume you're not referring to a cat...

    Lovely, lovely colors in those textiles!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabby is plain weaving, under one thread, over the next. No special weave pattern. Aren't the colors lovely, so saturated.

      Delete
  11. very colorful work. we humans are a piece of work. I swear I think our true nature is hate and we barely subdue it at the best of times. anti-semitism, racism, homophobia, anti-muslim, misogyny, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid for a lot of people it's the default setting.

      Delete
    2. I think it's more like tribalism, which served us well when we were small competing bands of hominids hunting and gathering, but helps us less now that we're billions of people living on top of each other and trying to sustain a civil society!

      Delete
  12. I will have to check out that London YouTuber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like her and her discoveries. She's also very funny.

      Delete
  13. I love the fushia and orange colour combos - proves she loves colour! Hope your library can get her book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't. Evidently it's old. Usually these events are timed to publication but this wasn't.

      Delete
    2. Could you track down a copy on one of the used book sites? Or maybe your library could bring it in via inter-library loan?

      Delete
    3. The library says it's probably completely gone, too old for ILL. But used book sites might work, yes.

      Delete
    4. I checked. Even on Kindle, way out of my budget. Oh well.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!