Monday, November 6, 2023

Rabbits unite! And other thoughts

Yesterday was bright sunshine, mild, great walking weather, complete with rabbit sightings




And at home, 

L to r, Ursula, small but fierce, still pussyhatted,  Fred Bear, warmly booted, and Pink Rabbit, clean, dry and here to stay.

Since I finished the socks, now parceled up with the gloves to go off to the street people to keep them warm, I need a new knitting project, mainly to have something to do at the knitting group. This is getting things a bit backward, but never mind. 

So I wound up some lovely yarn given for my own use, I never divert the yarn donated for ministry knitting, and this is handwash, not suitable to give anyway



 I'll cast on when I figure out what to knit.

Update on the monstera plant: I noticed mysterious drips on the floor, but I hadn't watered it, consulted with Gary, who concluded that it wasn't water. Oil coming from somewhere on the pot. 

He has theories about how it got there, thought I'd like to continue observing(!),  but my main concern was to get the pot out of the house before it did any more mess to the floor. It's now back next door, on newspapers to absorb the oil and see if the pot's salvageable.  He may end up putting the plant in a new pot. 

Shortly after that I was conscripted to assist at yet another issue at his house, a reno that didn't make it. A light he'd installed in his clothes closet fell down and he needed to cut the power to  fix it. My job was to shout from upstairs at the closet to  him, downstairs at the breaker box, whether he'd cut the right circuit. 

His house is full of projects in process, floors up, ducts open, plumbing issues. He comments on how lovely my house always seems to be, to which I answer that it's easy when you live alone, no visiting children, no pets, and you only fix what's broken! His life is much more complicated. And there are the cars, let's not get into the contrast there -- my one car every twenty years, his multiple cars and trucks for various purposes, all needing something all the time.

I wouldn't switch him as a neighbor for anything, though. Endlessly interesting.

I  was listening to radio the other day, some dull stuff about the NY subway, and the traffic expert guy mentioned that the manufacturer of subway cars is Bombardier. He pronounced it Bombahdeeay to my surprise, but he's the expert. It made me wonder if I should revisit the British Grenahdeeays..

Happy day, everyone, and if you're feeling a bit besieged, remember


Enjoy your day!




36 comments:

  1. Pink rabbit looks very much at home and comfortable. You reminded me of all the yarn I stil have from when we had a crochet group here in the canyon. Maybe I will try to crochet something this winter. I'm not very good at it, but I enjpy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Inger. It's calming and always nice to have a bit of work to pick up when you feel like it.

      Delete
  2. Pink Bunny looks so happy in her new home with her new friends! Bombardier is a long-standing Canadian company originating in Quebec. The traffic expert guy was using the correct French pronunciation of the name (BomBARdeeay), which is how we refer to the company now in Canada. But back in the day decades ago in English Canada, we always used the English mispronunciation of the name as BombaDEER. You still hear it used once in awhile among older people. And I believe the very oldest form of covered snow tractor transport vehicles made by the company (which are now used largely in the Arctic only) are still referred to as BombaDEERS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oil from the pot? What kind of pot is it? You'll come up with something to knit, your hands aren't idle for long. I know I would like Gary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently before the recent roof replacement, some people had oil leaking from the old roof materials. He thinks the pot may have been oily from being stored in the eaves. Or something.
      I have spinning, weaving and stitching waiting in the wings, so knitting is probably mainly for the group, just now.

      Delete
  4. I was so pleased to see your comment about never diverting supplies donated for charity use. Some years ago I had a friend who converted new sheets into fitted sheets for boats and , at my suggestion, we gave a lot to my neighbour who belonged to a church group which sewed little dresses etc. for Africa. To my horror she used most of it to make pillow cases and other "stuff" for her family.
    I never said anything but did not offer her more fabric. So, thank you for your goodness. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the ministry commitment is to dedicate the yarn to its intended purpose. I'd be very taken aback, too, at people doing otherwise.

      Delete
  5. I needed to read all of this today. Thank you. Now I will go put on my walking shoes and take a little stroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your walk. Maybe you'll spot rabbits.

      Delete
  6. Oh Pink Rabbit's come up tidy - to use a Welsh colloquialism. (Gosh I spelled that right first time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's looking pretty good now. Cheerful too.

      Delete
  7. Oil in the pot? What on earth could that be from? I sometimes find sticky droplets on some of my orchids and it's usually a sign they have scale insects. Could your residue be from some kind of plant pest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was dripping off the outside of the pot, all around, made a circle of oil on the floor, gah.

      Delete
  8. Maybe Fred Bear should get a scarf to go with his boots :-)) Ursula's pussy hat in pink is great... I'm excited to see what you'll create with the wool...
    many greetings to you. Have a nice week.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scarf wrapped around Ursula is Fred's scarf. He gave it to her.

      Delete
  9. Your word paragraph gave me a laugh. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the opposite was true. When a person lives alone, there's no pressure from anyone regarding order and cleanliness. One's got complete freedom to do whatever one wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. And when you love cleanliness and comfort, you are free of the complications and needs of messy partners and children and pets. You're free to proceed with the daily life you want. In my case good food, interesting art and a home that stays neat.

      Delete
  11. I think men Like to complicate their lives. It keeps them busy
    Women are busy enough. So we like to keep lifes spanner’s out of our lives as much as possible.
    That’s lovely yarn. I can’t wait to see what you create with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think I know any women with too much time on their hands! More like always trying to simplify. I do know men who are always dashing about, and I suspect it feels like a more important life than a life with few commitments.

      Delete
  12. Strange indeed to see oil coming from a plant pot. That must have been an eye opener.

    I think you lucked out in the neighbour department, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oily pot is a first, for sure! I certainly have entertaining neighbors.

      Delete
  13. To this Canuck, that pronunciation of Bombardier is cringe-worthy. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see what you create with that yarn. Dripping oil sounds weird - from a plant pot?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your post and leaving with a smile after reading, “You don’t owe anyone …” Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those of us who are always looking to take care of people need to remember to give ourselves equal time!

      Delete
  16. I plan on 'liberating' that quote and put it on my blog - thank you. It's a great one worth sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth taking to heart. We're often expected to explain ourselves, usually by people who disapprove!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!