Friday, November 17, 2023

Small stuff, but vital

Yesterday was a day of small, but important, things. You know how some of us are always nagging on about voting, usually to people who always do, quoting instances of close elections?

Here's one from this year

This is a North Jersey affluent region, where Mofos for Liberty have been trying to get onto school boards, and local councils, though that wasn't an issue here. What is an issue is that we are all the more anxious to prevent a Republican clean sweep. And here you see one single vote did that.

No doubt there'll be a recount, as there was locally several years ago, when a school board member lost by four votes. He demanded a recount, got it, and now lost by eight votes!

And this week's Misfits was a small box


Seen here with the freecycle bag of bags, later picked up by a happy freecycler.


Nice artisanal cheddar cheese to go with the havarti for the Thanksgiving cheese and cracker appetizer.

And I have had ongoing struggles to get shoes that fit, my longtime style having changed its manufacturer, become heavy, clunky and twice as expensive.  Local stores have almost nothing in size wide, and usually only a couple of pairs in my size at all nowadays.  So for a while it's been online. 

 There are no athletic shoes  I've found and can afford,  that don't have a seam right across the toe box, right where I can't tolerate it. So that's a whole area taken care of.

After trying and having to send back two lots of nice looking walking shoes, with seams where I can wear them, supposedly sized wide but in fact not, I came across a note on a shoe fitting site that suggested buying a size larger. Hm. I'd already tried a man's canvas shoe in the size equivalent to mine, with only fair success, so why not.

So when Zappos had a great clearance offer of Tretorns, the shoe cut the way that works for me, I thought why not, very much marked down, worth a try. Success! These I can walk in, yay. Here's me modeling them this morning, still in night gear.


Those seams are in the right place for my bumpy old feet. 

I have a long history with Tretorns, back to the seventies,  when I could buy them easily, very cheap considering, reliable, nice looking. 

Then they were bought out by Puma. Then they vanished from the market. Then they reappeared but only in sizes they had,  I supposed, lying around the warehouse, twos and elevens. 

Then they reappeared in the whole range at four times the price I used to pay, now way out of my budget.  So these, though they're faux leather, not canvas, are like a stroll down memory lane.

Small things sometimes matter quite a bit. Happy day everyone, and I hope today's small things for you are welcome.





22 comments:

  1. I also struggle with finding comfortable footwear. Congratulations on your success - I really get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on boots! Almost total failure there.

      Delete
  2. Nothing is sweeter than comfortable, well-fitting shoes. Glad you found a good pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hopeful of success now that I've found a workaround. We'll see!

      Delete
  3. One vote! Your vote does matter. I buy shoes online one size larger and it generally works. Can HS or Gary pick up some havarti for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own response never appeared! I have the havarti already. About the shoes, I should have just asked you!

      Delete
  4. Honestly, finding shoes that are comfortable and affordable is not a little thing. It's important!
    Every vote does matter, doesn't it?
    The little thing that has made me happy lately is that Costco has started selling a vintage Havarti that I love but which which I have always felt guilty about buying because of the cost. It is much less pricey at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handsome son, who has always brought cheese and crackers to start celebratory meals, introduced me to havarti and asiago, both of which I love. This year he's doing more of the main meal, so I'm picking up on the cheeses.

      Delete
  5. Comfy shoes are not small things. They’re big important things.
    I have to admit I’m a shoeaholic. I got that from my grandma. I don’t buy expensive shoes. But if they’re on special I think why not. Our kmart has shoes that can start at four or five dollars who can resist that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my new shoes are certainly not small things, that's true! I don't like shoes, probably because a lifetime of struggling to get shoes I can tolerate has removed the fun from buying them.

      Delete
  6. I need lots of support in my walking shoes and the size and type are hard to get on occasion. Yours look comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they'll work for me. So far so good.

      Delete
  7. I'm aghast at how much shoe prices have risen in the past few years. I have a pair of walking shows that I bought probably over ten years ago and they're still going strong. I shudder to think what I'll have to pay for new ones. Resident Chef goes through at least two pairs of shoes a year, mainly because he doesn't take care of them. He thinks nothing of wearing them out in the snow rather than using his perfectly good snow boots. Drives me crazy because then, come spring, he needs new shoes. There's no telling him though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feet have changed a lot over the last ten years, so it's just as well I wear shoes out. My daily walking over rough ground tends to wear the soles to where they're too smooth for grip. And I can't get repairs now.

      Delete
  8. I have the same shoe problem now that I have developed a bunion with a life of its own. I finally googled wide and found ortho shoes. They work.
    If you don't vote, you don't count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up ortho shoes. Not in my budget, though.

      Delete
  9. Comfortable shoes are so valuable. I wish I had learned that lesson when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aging feet get trickier to fit, and more expensive, sigh.

      Delete
  10. If memory serves, there were once Trethorn tennis balls. They didn't become popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not aware of them, but I suppose they're in the same sector as tennis shoes.

      Delete
  11. My son has recommended barefoot shoes. There are several makes but all very expensive. The ones in the sale are never in my size! And that could be your vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sales are usually on the extreme sizes. And when I vote, I think well, since voter turnout isn't very good, everyone who does vote has proportionately more power. But I still encourage voting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!