Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Textiles and Tea, Freecycle and toes

Textiles and Tea this week introduced weaver, painter, clothing designer, Chickasaw member 


her family can be traced back to the thirteenth century in Mississippi.  Her fourth great grandmother was a child left behind after a battle, collected and cared for by Chickasaw people, grew up with them, and married into the Chickasaw people.

She has produced authentically styled Chickasaw costumes for historical productions, on a Smithsonian fellowship, has had work shown in the New York Met, and has costumed a production planned for 2024 with a symphony orchestra, at Carnegie Hall.

She's also been a production weaver of wearable art. Her painter training and eye shows up as you study her work. She's taught many Guild workshops over the years, and has recently cut back on her projects for health reasons. Not that you'd notice!








It seems appropriate to honor a native American's talents this week, instead of the fake history we've been taught around Thanksgiving.  Where I live was the home of the Lenni Lenape, and I  thank them when I go out walking daily on what was literally their home territory. The six lane Route One, a mile away,  was before the seventeenth century advent of the Dutch, an Indian walking path between waterways. 

Back home, in the process of laying a simple table

 for our Thanksgiving, I found I could part with a couple of things. These linen napkins I turmeric-dyed and stamped using my hand carved stamps were nice,  but not needed



And this six cup porcelain teapot is a bit too heavy for my wrists now. I put them on free cycle and they were literally gone in half an hour to a very happy  lady.

Thanksgiving celebration this year is less work for me than usual. But first,  I have a footnote (!) about fitness and aging. 

I've been working on that toe raising exercise to maintain my walking, the one I showed you  recently on YouTube. Yesterday I found I can raise my toes, i.e. stand on my heels,  without support. First time evah. I've always been able to raise my toes, but never without support. Just shows! 

I still don't have the core strength any more, since I turned 80+, to get up from the floor without supports. Back in my 70s I could do that, and various other things. Now, though I'm fitter than most, in fact I've outlived almost everyone I knew in my age group, there are still things an octo can't manage that a septo can. Enjoy what you can do while you can!

Happy day, everyone, I hope your plans are good this week, with or without Thanksgiving.




29 comments:

  1. I saw the following inscription on a war memorial today. It chimes with the impression I have formed about the way you think: "They fought not in enemy against men, but against powers of darkness enslaving the souls of men." It certainly struck a chord with me and embodies a kind of forgiveness and understanding that many seem incapable of seeing - even generations after a conflict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful quotation, and I hope to live up to it. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. The wearable art is so beautiful
    You’re so good with the winnowing. I’ve been inspired and I’ve given away a few things myself.
    Im glad your not doing too much for the meal. A simple meal shared with someone you love is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to see how happy people are with items that have run their course with me! It's much better than having to dust them. Our meal will be good, and more enjoyable for being easy.

      Delete
  3. Wow wonderful freecycle pieces. And such lovely costumes she designs.
    Good for you with exercising and making progress. I do yoga 2x a week and walk 3 miles most days. I am a firm believer in use it ir lose it.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're made to move! Thank you for the good wishes

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Chickasaw textiles! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing? she combines her serious research with her own take. Thank you for the good wishes.

      Delete
  5. You use Freecycle so well.

    I had a computer collapse while trying to comment here yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope you've all recovered now. At any rate you're commenting.

      Delete
  6. Don't tell anyone but I have bought (very high quality of course!) paper plates and napkins to PERHAPS use tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I am trying to decide on that. But it would make a huge difference in the amount of work after the meal. It's not really that much work to rinse and put twenty or so plates in the dishwasher and wash all the napkins afterwards but...really? We shall see.
    I am fascinated by tales of women who were captured by native tribes who chose to marry into them, become part of that culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ancestor in that story was a baby when adopted into the Chickasaw, so not really a capture so much as a rescue. She later was in what's known as the Great Removal, meaning driving out of the native people.

      I save work nowadays by having us serve ourselves at the stove! It keeps the food warm for refills and it's so much easier. I had added in a lot of tasks, and dishes, when I used serving dishes

      Delete
  7. Good advice!
    Thinking a lot about doing what I can while I can is increasingly more important as the days go by.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting weaving, and yes, so appropriate to host a Native American weaver at this time of year. You know, I just realized while reading this that we don't have enough cloth napkins for our guests tomorrow. Oops! Paper towels it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have provided a stack of napkins. I make them from linen and cotton remnants. Sometimes I need to pass them on..

      Delete
  9. Lovely post. Nice to see some of her work. Congrats on your fitness. Sorry I didn't see your video, perhaps you could repost it. I'm 73 and am trying to get back to yoga for the balance. I was doing it almost daily and got out of the habit, and now I need to start over. I know it helps; but just haven't gotten there. Best of luck to you and keep up the good work. Happy Thanksgivng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't post a video, just referred readers to a YouTube channel about fitness after fifty. Yes, good to get back to yoga and other balance exercises.

      Delete
    2. The YouTube channel is HT Physio

      Delete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving, Boud, and I trust you're now enjoying a post-prandial rest after dinner with Handsome Son.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just left after a lovely afternoon, and now I'm listening to The Franchise Affair.

      Delete
  11. Maintaining strength and balance as long as we can is a job. Well done, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I said years ago that I wasn't interested in longevity as in feeling well for as long as possible. I seem to be getting both, yay.

      Delete
  12. Happy Thanksgiving. Your attitude to fitness as we age is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for both! I think I'm just realistic.

      Delete
  13. Definitely a good choice for a Thanksgiving Textile honouree - I love that flowing article of clothing (a caftan?).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!