Thursday, November 16, 2023

Freecycling, boundaries and pumpkin soup

Yesterday was a good free cycling day. While I was looking in the coat closet for yarn, I realized I could free cycle a bunch of the bags and purses hanging in there,  and this group is leaving today.


Several of them I handmade and they can move on, served their purpose with me, handspun and woven, Tunisian crochet, beaded knitting. Others are nice, like the Indian embroidered tote,of which I have others. So all the bags are in a bag (!) on the step awaiting their happy taker.

The big painted art bag was picked up yesterday, as it turned out by a longtime art acquaintance who has been trying to get a closer connection for years. A bit shovy, which I've handled politely but not with fervor. I didn't know the identity of this taker, just the free cycle screen name, until she rang the doorbell, most unusual, instead of just picking up. 

Turns out she also received a stack of art books, back when I winnowed the collection, and is pleased with them.

She was wearing a fedora, very stylish, she can wear hats, and wanted to come in and visit. Um. I explained I wasn't free, and she was quite graceful about it. 

I'm very picky about who comes in , no sudden irruptions, except Gary, who's basically family,  and not  uninvited ones. We did chat on the step.  She messaged me later to say she loves the bag. So I felt I did a bit of kind boundary management on the spur of the moment. Clever me. It didn't hurt that I was giving her something nice at the time!


And yogurt has happened again, also the sugar pumpkin from the front step is now soup, as planned


And, tidings of great joy, I didn't have to go in person to the dreaded snarling Motor Vehicle office to renew my driver's license.

At my age, and I noticed they'd changed the expiration to my birthday, oh-oh, I wondered if they'd want a retest or new photo or something. Their website was very cagey about who could and couldn't renew by mail, though they did say there's no age requirement for a retest. So I waited, and they sent me the form to mail in. So now I think if your license is clean, they don't make you do anything special.

 I renewed by mail, and they just recopied the old photo, now looking worse even than before. I'd hate to be recognized from it. But yay, four more years of legality. At which point I'll be amazed if I'm still driving anyway.


Happy day, everyone, enjoy whatever good thing happens, and there will be at least one. You might have to look closely.






25 comments:

  1. The little sugar pumpkin has fulfilled its destiny. Delicious, yummy destiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for people who whine about the waaaaaste of Halloween pumpkins. Around here people eat them. I offer the seeds to squirrels who love them.

      Delete
  2. You handled that situation well. I wish we could renew by mail. I don't think anyone enjoys the experience of the DMV. I'll keep an eye open for the potential good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was great pressure on the DMV to move a lot of functions online after the chaos when they reopened after the pandemic closing. This state has the greatest number of vehicles per highway mile in the country, so when people were backed up for literally miles, blocking highways, to get vital renewals, there was nearly a revolution! It's much better now. A lot of the renewals are just rules of the DMV, not the law.

      Delete
  3. How good that you got your license renewed. My friend and I drove to a DMV office in a small desert town, where I had to take a test and get a new photo. I told them that my hair is white, not gray, so they put that on the license. Not that it really matters about hair color. We get renewed for five years here in California and I feel the same way as you about the likelihood of a renewal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a small office, but our population is so dense there isn't such a thing!

      Delete
  4. Ugh. Pushy people. And sometimes you just KNOW that a person is not one of your people and no need to spend a lot of time figuring that out. The older I get, the more apparent this is to me. But yes, she got a very nice bag.
    What a relief to get your driver's license! And who knows? You may be still driving in four years. I really would not be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, about driving, I've been talking for years about it! My last car, the civic, was supposed to be my last! Now I'm three years into driving its successor. So, yes, we'll see.

      Delete
  5. Th drop-in was well handled. Could you meet for coffee sometime to gauge her suitability? Or maybe that would open a door too wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known her for nearly twenty years. Not for me. She's wanting the local art advantage of knowing me. Nope! I've done courteous art related things for her as for many, but not open to a close friendship, no.

      Delete
  6. If you are well known in the arts & crafts world maybe (as you suggested) she was looking for bragging rights’.
    “Last week when I was visiting ***** (you) we discussed ******”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're on the money. And being in someone's house is especially valuable legal tender! Not to mention you might get an entree into a gallery or two..

      Delete
  7. My mother-in-law is still driving at 91. She wouldn’t dream of giving up her license. I hope it doesn’t have to be taken from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot depends on where you live. I live in a congested, impatient region, where people get tboned, rearended etc, frequently local roads are closed to clear up collisions. So that gives me pause.

      Delete
  8. “Happy day, everyone, enjoy whatever good thing happens, and there will be at least one. You might have to look closely.” Just stopping by Field and Fen was one and I thank you! 😊 Hope yours is happy as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice comment to come in to, thank you back!

      Delete
  9. I went to the DMV recently to transfer my old plates to the new car. They picked up on the change of address, too, and shunted me to drivers' licenses' to get mine updated (by a piece of paper, not a new license) and were quick to tell me I would need a new license in March. I wish they could handle it by mail, but no. Also need a new passport in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here we never change plates. Even if you buy a new car you just keep the plates. Some states change plates, I believe. I don't know why they can't do your new license by mail.
      I let my passport lapse years ago, no plans to need one. But nowadays the library will handle passport renewal, and the PO. No traipsing into Philadelphia.

      Delete
  10. I'm with you about "drop ins" I tell all of my friends don't come over unless you call me first. I will not answer the door. I think it is rude to just stop by. I have always been that way. My home is my sanctuary. LOL I love love your art. Here in Oregon we can keep our plates to transfer to another vehicle. We also have an 8 year license and we can renew on line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one neighbor who stops in for a purpose, usually taking very little time, not a problem. But social visiting, only two other people can do that, not the world at large.
      I don't know why we can't extend our driver's license period. It would save all kinds of official time and money.

      Delete
  11. It is a strange fact of life that nothing can make you look quite as bad as an official photograph, and that seems to be true regardless of age, status in life or place of residence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's chilling when officialdom checks it and agrees it's you!

      Delete
  12. Hooray for license renewals with no angst!
    It's interesting to note the discussion about people dropping in unexpectedly and expecting to have a visit. Up until a few years ago we thought nothing of dropping in on people and they did the same to us but now it is decidedly frowned upon. I don't know what happened for the change to take place but I'm far more comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was never comfortable for me, but if generally accepted, I didn't want to be a grouch. I think covid helped with the generic change.

      Delete
  13. You handled the freecycler well. I don't like unexpected drop-ins generally (except for a rare moment, and it being the right person). I can't imagine a stranger thinking she should suggest coming in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!