Sunday, October 1, 2023

October, how did that happen, white rabbits and freecycling

 White rabbits, or for those of the "rabbit, rabbit" persuasion


It seems to be October, and I finally realize summer's ended. This week is usually a great week for birders to observe the fall warbler migration. I used to go to Cape May for this, because a lot of other birds also migrate about now, including many sea and shorebirds. Here inland we do get sightings of warblers in the trees this week, so I'll keep watching. I can do that even from the sofa, the lazy birder's spot. 

And when I said winnowing was done, I hadn't looked on the top shelf where the art supplies are stored. I found this bag of frames, in the original shrink wrap


These were the upshot of a comedy of errors, where I ordered frames, which never arrived, lost in shipping, and I asked for a replacement and got this set. 

Then the letter carrier, who had to bring something else to my door, noticed all the art on the walls, and said, oh wait, have you had a box lost in transit? To which I said well yes. 

Turned out she had a mystery box in her van she'd been driving around in case she found the intended addressee. The address had been washed off by an adjacent parcel leaking all over it and obliterating the house number and recipient name.

Meanwhile I'd been presented with the replacement box, so I got back to the seller, who said just keep them,  they're accounted for now. Easier than accepting them back into inventory. 

But I never did get to use them, so why not pass them on. Within literally five minutes of posting them on free cycle, I had several takers, all known to me, all reliable about picking up. So I took the quickest, by one minute (!). A hour from making the decision, the frames were on their way with a happy freecycler. All happy, me too. 

Still considering the various fiber art projects around here, hampered by the allergens that latest rainstorm brought, eyes a bit blurry, swollen, ew. Maybe today will be better. I did get the threads out for the sashiko stitching.

Yesterday I made potato chips for my evening viewing of Suits. 



Since they don't have any additive to keep them crisp, they're best eaten promptly. No problem.

Happy day, everyone, the government stays open, MAGA is defeated for now, funding for Ukraine being separately pursued, things are much better than expected, for once.

So enjoy your chips and Suits equivalent.





31 comments:

  1. Rabbit Rabbit. :) We are in the tropics again. The Twin Cities Marathon was cancelled do the heat and humidity. I can believe you has a few takers for the frames. A great find for the recipient. The chips look really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot again? I can see how the combo of heat with humidity would make running too risky. It was nice to free cycle something brand new for once.

      Delete
  2. I rather wish we had a version of freecyle here but the closest is the laundry-folding table in the laundry room in our building. Anything we want to get rid of goes on there and it generally disappears in short order. We also have a bookshelf in there and people contribute books and magazines for others to enjoy. There's also an avid jigsaw puzzling 'group' and there's an ever-revolving selection of puzzles available.
    October? No.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah- such a good thing to hear about the missing scrapbook frames finding a new and immediate home! Cudos to the delivery person for making the connection! I like it when life goes to such a logical destination.
    Your chips look so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The free cycle comment was to Mary Anne, but blogger inserted your comment ahead, doing weird stuff this morning.

      I miss that carrier. Her route changed and she was lovely, very caring about everyone on her route, including checking on people like me. She's a treasure.

      Delete
  4. Free cycle works for practically anything! Including jigsaw puzzles, which are taken swiftly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is a freecycle group here but it's not active. I just take stuff to SHARE. sorry to hear your allergies are acting up. I had terrible allergies up until I was about 20, allergic to everything and then basically outgrew them. October aside, still summer here, just regular summer, not killer summer like we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I outgrew my allergies to animals but changing continents introduced me to new allergens, so I still have plant and pollen allergies, oh well. I expect regular summer feells quite mild compared to what you've been getting.

      Delete
  6. I went to Cape May once. A beautiful area, but supposedly very Republican. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The town is definitely lily-white and proud of it. But I was hanging out with birders who scarcely notice humans, so I didn't get in trouble. It's a funny place, part Victorian, old buildings, people painting in the streets, part birders and hikers who rarely bother with the posh b and b aspect of it.

      Delete
  7. Happy October to you. The potato chips looks fabulous. You get birders we have tourists year round now. I hope the birders are nicer than our tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found birders very easy to get along, mostly sharing spotting scopes and pointing out birds you might have missed. They talk quietly, too, which tourists tend not to!

      Delete
  8. The chips look great! I wonder how many preservatives we are eating in our processed food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I found out there were additives in things like shredded cheese to stop it clumping up, I was a lot less inclined to go for the processed versions. Having made a couple of batches of chips, even put, dry, in an airtight can, I noticed they clump and lose some crispness quite quickly. Not a problem -- eat them faster!

      Delete
  9. Longing for homemade potato chips. Nothing quite like them. I am completely over nacho chips these days, even freshly made. Bring me my potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! They're easy and really good. One potato is enough for a bowl of chips.

      Delete
  10. I am sure you were happy to pass the frames on and they were happy to get them.
    For some reason I am all stuffy tonight no idea why I am not prone to allergies.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frames were a really happy free cycle. I don't like keeping things just in case when someone else could plunge right in and use them.

      Delete
  11. Until very recently, because of blogs, I had never heard of the rabbit saying. I didn’t say rabbit as my first words. Maybe that’s why I feel like I’m jet lagged again.
    Most probably it’s the time change for summer
    I’d of loved those frames. Too bad your so far away It would of been an excellent excuse for a visit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we could have enjoyed a chat! Quite a few people wanted them.

      Delete
  12. Yum on the chips. There are not many birds here right now which is unusual.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year we've seen many species but few total birds. Also butterflies. I think the storms may have changed their flight paths.

      Delete
  13. I miss counting the birds in the fall. And in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, that dedicated letter carrier went above and beyond the call of duty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's lovely. We practically went into mourning when they changed her route.

      Delete
  15. That is one amazing carrier going the extra mile to identify the owner of the damaged parcel of frames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very young, but has the old fashioned idea of letter carrier as volunteer social worker.

      Delete
  16. I've just put some baby stuff on our freecycle. We don't seem to have such keen freecyclers around here. I used to enjoy Suits. it's the sort of easy-to-watch programme I like. Not totally serious and sombre either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of Suits is.hilariously funny, largely around Louis.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!