Monday, October 2, 2023

Onion bhajis, fungi, silo art and sashiko

 Yesterday's walk yielded great fungi



 and the concrete rabbit still hanging in there, aren't we all.

And I made the  bhajis, after the chickpea flour arrived. They're usually deep fried, which I don't do, so I found a way to bake them.





And used tzatziki as a dip. With shrimp. I know there are readers who will ask why didn't you make rice for the shrimp to rest on? I would have if I'd thought of it, but I often forget,  rice rarely coming to mind when I'm not making curry.

The bhajis were okay, and next time I'll use a slightly reduced oven heat, maybe 350°f, rather than the 400°f of the recipe, which browned them a bit too fast, the inside not done quite enough. But they were good, spices in the fried onions as well as in the chickpea dough. Definitely going into the rotation. There's another plateful like this for today.

Special request to Oz blogistas, have you seen any of these? 

Yes, I know it's a huge place, and chances are slight, but just wondering what you might be able to tell us about them.

Just home from my much cancelled and reset covid booster, using the other arm from the rsv arm. This might impede my stitching, we'll see. The pharmacist admired my cheerful pink jacket, said she really likes to see color around. Same one who did last week's rsv, bright yellow jacket that time.

Meanwhile I've started on the sashiko surrounds


Happy day everyone, wear cheerful clothes, it's nice for the people sticking needles into you, or something.

A few more flowers





22 comments:

  1. Mmmm... Those bhajis look delicious. Mr. Moon will be leaving for a week or so at the end of this week and I am thinking of things to cook that he might not enjoy. These look like something I'd like to try.
    And a curry.
    Your stitching is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like these, partly because they're baked. I know you're not a deep fat frying fan. I love shashiko stitching, really don't like stopping.

      Delete
  2. Cheerful clothes never hurt! I have a weird feeling I've seen silo art in blogland. Maybe an Australian blogger posted some pictures at some point in the past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping someone who's seen them comes in, too. Maybe Angela or Sparkling. There are other oz readers, too.

      Delete
  3. I am really going to like the wall hanging. I admire your stitching skill. I have no idea what hajis is but it looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bunch of fried onions and spices, in a chickpea flour dough, baked crisp, whoa, Nelly, so good. I tossed in a handful of cilantro, because, greens..
      The stitching skill comes from decades of doing it! Thank you though.

      Delete
  4. I have a wee concrete rabbit too. It sits on my balcony, helping to hold down one end of my fake green grass runner, because it may be small but it weighs an absolute ton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So does the local one, even without his ears.

      Delete
  5. I hope you have no problems with the vax, and thanks for getting in touch,

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the people doing the needles need to see bright colours, I will oblige. Have a great day, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your arms are not hurting too much
    I kinda felt like my arm was really heaven for a day after the shots.
    I’ve not seen the silo art. But there is a map and you follow it around the country to see all the silo art. I’ve had a few friends on Facebook who have traveled part or all of the trail It’s on the to do list when hubby finally starts to slow down at work
    It takes many days, or weeks, as we are a big country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope if you ever do the silo trail, or part of it, you take us with you. I'm feeling tired this afternoon, probably the vax, but the arm isn't too bad. Right now, anyway!

      Delete
  8. There is an actual silo trail that Angela mentioned. It is in the north east of Victoria and I am planning a trip with my travelling friend next year. A lot of country towns have them, though, and I have seen some beauties. It is mindblowing how much detail and persepective they achieve on such a massive canvas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we'll see pictures then. That would be great with your narrative.

      Delete
  9. Nice photos of fungi — they come in so many shapes and colors.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them and I'm lucky to be able to follow them in walking distance.

      Delete
  10. I got my covid booster last week. no reaction this time beside the injection site being sore for two days. previous shots left my entire arm painful and a day of feeling not quite well. and more adventures in cooking I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This booster seems different from earlier ones. Hardly any arm soreness at all, been stitching and knitting, too. A bit tired today, that's about all.

      Delete
  11. I've seen pictures of silo art on the internet but not sure where they were located (both the silos AND where I saw the pictures).
    We're not due for boosters until late November so hopefully they'll have the shortages issue straightened out by then. Now they're talking about not only covid boosters and flu shots but also a shot for the RSV virus as well. Pretty soon we're going to be nothing but needle pricks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never heard of rsv till recently, and now I'm vaxxed against it! CVS just texted me to say their supplies have arrived, please sign up again! But I've already been done, as they say.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!