Saturday, October 7, 2023

Ottoman fiber arts, Freecycle and granola

 Yesterday the Textile Museum and others presented a really intriguing program on the movement of textiles and artisans around the Ottoman Empire and beyond, largely because of  political forces. The map gives an idea of the general region discussed.



Dr Phillips wrote the book and is the sort of seemingly effortless presenter who has terrific knowledge of the  techniques, history and languages involved in her subject.

The slides are dated and labeled and sourced well enough to tell anyone interested quite a bit about this aspect of textile history, also some etymology, bringing two great interests together for me.

The weaving structures range from tabby to twill to samite, which I had thought was a cloth, but it's a weave structure.








This weaving uses angora goat hair, and I believe the word is related to Ankara. The item name, velense, derives from Valencia, and indicates the journey of the Jewish weavers expelled in the 1492 expulsion of the Jews. They took their skills and materials east and you see an example here. A lot of things happened out of Spain, that year, as our indigenous people know all too well.




Indian makers influenced the use of silk and precious metals in their very expensive cloth,  which, when artisans had to economize in hard times, were replaced by cheaper metals and threads.


Dr Phillips gave a special shout out to the photographers doing the setups to get these images for her book.






here, in India, modern weaving still uses traditional band designs, on a more modern loom.

Here are some researchers' deconstructions of the weaving




This one is interesting, because the original calligraphy, st the top,  was squashed up, even omitting syllables, to fit into a preexisting design size, lower image. There's surmise that it was a rush order, to celebrate possibly a  victory or an accession to power, maybe both, with a short  deadline. Even then this happened!







This was a real adventure with an expert, into a textile era I knew little about, but now would like to know more. I messaged a thank you note to the speaker.

Meanwhile, back to the present, yesterday I had a great urge for granola and next thing I knew, I'd made a batch. Almonds, cranberries, avocado oil, honey, cinnamon, lemon zest, whoa!

As I was picking out clothes yesterday, I noticed yet again a few items I like and never wear, so I took them out, posted them on Freecycle, and within a few minutes was reminded that there are odd ducks everywhere.



The three items on the right make a nice outfit, and the crop tops go with the rayon pants very well. I have another pair of these pants, no need for both, in fact I've been thinking of converting them to a skirt, lovely deep pockets,  but wide legs that can make me trip, but that means plenty of fabric..The tunic is a linen mix, the shirt cotton and the pants rayon, the crop tops  knitted cotton. Mainly  Indian and Indonesian, the rayon pants fair trade. The blue top has applique I painted and stitched on.

The odd duck messaged me very quickly saying she was interested in picking up. No indication of day and time as requested. 

I looked her up, found she was a brand new account, so instead of ignoring her, I figured she hadn't quite got the hang, and messaged that she needed to note my request and give estimated day and time. I'd noted the town name twice in the post, to help estimate if the distance was worth it.. 

Whereupon she got back and said she'd done that. Which she hadn't. Then she messaged twice more, once to say she lives in a town about an hour north of here, and hoped that was okay by me. I wondered what it had to do with me and the price of bananas, when her third message arrived, and explained she couldn't drive this far.

Yes, you see where this was going! Looked like she hoped I'd not only give her the things, but do a two hour round trip in the process. Evidently she confused free cycle with a free delivery service. So I  didn't continue with the pen pal exchange. 

Meanwhile a very stable and businesslike, different,  lady messaged with day, today, time, whatever I wanted, and the parcel of things was gone in an hour to a happy free cycler.

Happy day, everyone, look out for people who are not quite with the rules, and crafty, too, they're everywhere, everywhere, I tell you!



16 comments:

  1. Before your posts, and all the weaving I saw all over the uk. I hadn’t given it much though. Except that very talented ladies did it to clothe and make blankets for their families.
    I’ve learnt so much, and all of it so interesting

    As for clever people who think the world is here to serve them
    I just don’t have time for them at all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're getting value from my textile postings. You're a fiber artist, so it follows. I couldn't tell if the odd duck was just messing with me, or hoping for delivery. Either way, not worth my time.

      Delete
  2. Once again, I am amazed at the way textile arts seem to be part of almost every culture and time in ways that I'd never even thought about. Also, the way that different techniques for all parts can resemble each other and yet be so completely different. You've truly given me a window through which to view these things that I didn't even realize were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're liking the textile posts. Yes, they're far more a part and a driver of history than the conventional white male battles and conquerors school, dominant in education, ever understand. Social history is so much more significant than the male power grabs and money grubbing that passes for history teaching.

      Delete
  3. people will take advantage of you if you let them. I need to go through all my clothes and winnow out the ones I no longer wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about clothes is that you keep on thinking you'll definitely wear this and that, while never actually doing so. At least I do.

      Delete
  4. I, too have not given thought to textiles as art. You have opened my eyes. There may be crafty people everywhere but they aren't getting past you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did give her the benefit of the doubt until she lied. Red flag.
      I'm more and more glad I blended my art blog into field and fen. I think people are reading with interest about art issues and they might never have followed the art blog. I love that it's showing new ways to enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Maybe an innocent, maybe crafty. Glad you had a better response after. Only one person responded to my free cot/car seat adverts. Seemed interested but then disappeared. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happens a lot. Also no shows. And people who show, pick out what they want and leave the busted open bag for you to deal with. But over the years I've free cycled, the genuine people outnumber them. And once you spot them, you never offer them anything again.
      I wonder if there's a women's shelter or maybe daycare, who could use the baby items?

      Delete
  6. The granola looks and sounds good. I haven’t made any in ages…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so quick to make. I think I always need a supply around, now that I've started.

      Delete
  7. The homemade granola looked wonderful.I am sure the exchange between yourself and the person who answered the Free Cycle ad wasn't as humorous as it now seems in retrospect. Glad the items did find a new home with someone who "played by the rules." It was amazing to read that the other person thought delivery was also included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was speaking ironically. I'm sure she knew she was supposed to pick up. She was just trying it on. I've had this before, from people saying they have no car and uber is too expensive, what can they do, how can they manage etc.

      Delete
  8. Always interesting to see the textiles and find out more about them.
    As for the freecycle debacle, it sounds like that person wasn't on the up and up.
    And - granola must be 'in the air' because Resident Chef made some too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granola is now a staple around here. I never liked it till I made my own. It's much better than the shop stuff.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!