Sunday, October 8, 2023

Funny folks, vote arrived, stitching, a pair and a spare, and more

Remember when I sent in my mail-in ballot, and mentioned a few things we'd fought for and got? Above you see the results of one such campaign. It's called Track my Ballot. Allowing time for the mail, you go into your official passworded account, to check on your voting history to date. 

At the bottom  you see the official acknowledgment that the county voting officials have my ballot safe. Counting doesn't start till the polls are closed on election day, but meanwhile, it's safely there, and the voter knows it.  It encourages public confidence in the mail in ballot.

And stitching is continuing. Here's the whole piece


And here's a detail showing the worked part.


 I did knit that third glove, and I feel better offering a pair and a spare now that they look more as if they all belong together.


Food keeps happening, today fritters of tuna, cannellini beans, in panko crumbs, heavily spiced with long pepper, of course,  and a pinch of ground cardamom. Ketchup. The last of the strawberries for dessert. 


And I found a great labeled chart of photos, waxcaps, including a few I've noted in here lately. This is worth bookmarking, if you're interested in fungi.

 
Before I wrap up today, speaking of odd ducks, I've met a few, in various workplaces, and among my readers here!

My favorite was the lady who'd read in here and emailed me to say she was doing the genealogy of her  family, and wanted me to supply her with information on my Boud ancestors, since she had found an Elizabeth Boud several generations back and wondered if we had relatives in common.

We got into quite a thread of emails, I trying to explain Boud is only a screen name, no connection with people, in fact it was the nickname of my late cat, Boudicca.  So named because small but fearless, like the warrior queen who came close to routing the Romans at the battle of Colchester, but I digress.

My correspondent wasn't having it and wanted to know why I wouldn't help her, when she'd been referred to my blog from a genealogy website. I asked her to please give me the website reference, so I could put the record straight, and she said, oh, er, well, um, she couldn't remember it. 

After emailing me several times with demands, she finally  declared it was people like me who made it hard to research,  refusing to share information. Once again I  explained it wasn't my family name, and wished her luck! She said she'd report my refusal, to save other people from wasting their time, which I thought, but didn't say, was a good outcome. 

So there, a little episode of the endless comedy that is people.

Happy day, everyone, off to the annual dental visit, where I hope  they'll clean my teeth, tap on them, make measurements, and tell me I'm fine before emptying my wallet and seeing me out.

The people there are definitely compos mentis, glad to say.



26 comments:

  1. We have a saying in our family - "you hide 'em we'll find 'em" and you certainly seem to find some doozies. Or they find you! How funny that she couldn't/wouldn't understand that your name is not, in fact, Boud. Oh the joys of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear what a strange lady. I had a conversation with my friend this morning. She does her family’s genealogy and she has been contacted by a lady who has preceded to tell her she’s got it all wrong. Only she knows the truth and only she has original photos of various ancestors. It’s like she’s the expert or something. I think it takes many plants to make a garden lol

    Please delete the incomplete comment. I think it posted but I’m not sure. The screen went blank and it disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see any incomplete comment, no problem. Is there something about genealogy that gets people worked up , I wonder?

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to learn that Boud is short for Boudicca, a favourite heroine! Glad you managed to shake off that weird genealogical researcher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it occurs to me that I should do some genealogy while I still can because as little as I know about my forbearers, my children know even less. This may just be the way it goes, though. I'm not sure I have the sort of mind that traces these things. The obvious truth is, we all came from somewhere and we all come from many.
    You are such a fast stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of what my mom relayed about several generations of her family, all hotly disputed by her sisters! Nothing documented, but that's the privilege of people who own property. Renters rarely have much documentation.

      Delete
  5. You have the politeness of the English. Also the wry wit! I spent a year on ancestry some time ago. It was interesting but I finally tired of it. You are moving right along with the wallhanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think politeness is what gives people licence to go on a rant!

      Delete
  6. I don't think we do mail-in ballots here, but we do have a number of advance polls, and we do send workers to hospitals etc and will even go to bedsides. Voting here is also simpler. We click one box and go home, so the lines are not onerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One box? No individual candidates and functions? Interesting.

      Delete
  7. You certainly have been having your time with folks not accepting or understanding, Boud. While I thought the previous post was amusing in hindsight, this one about the genealogy contact was more so. Thanks for sharing the origins of your blog name, which I was curious about. My own is after a Boyds Bear character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you started following after I last explained about dear little Boud, her full mature weight of 6lbs ready to take on anyone! Definitely a Boudicca

      Delete
  8. The stitching is going well. Love the results!

    Your ballots are much more involved than our one check for local representative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you vote on functions and public questions? Here we vote for candidates at every level, also school board and fire commissioners. Also public questions. In fact this year there's a special note on the ballot saying "Two sides, see both!"

      Delete
  9. That's how it goes with genealogy web sites. I spent about 30 years on it, back to before there was anything online, but the online stuff brought out the cranks and know-it-alls, and the impatient who think it will all fall on to the screen without any thought or work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Locally I know a couple of genealogists who still travel to examine local documents, church records etc so I'm surprised by people trying to do it all online.

      Delete
  10. Love the story about the lady wanting to know all about the Boud ancestors. I’ve got to high-5 you for selecting a screen name … I wish I had done that way back at the start … around 2008 or so, when I first got started on what I will forever (probably) call Twitter. These days I’m concerned about putting too much info out there on the world wide web. I like your words, “… endless comedy that is people.” I will add my take on that … humans are often unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was first active online in 1996 on what was then the Utne Cafe, related to the Utne Reader, full of likeminded granola making people! Even then they had to take precautions to avoid becoming a bro club, and largely succeeded. I think its descendant is still going, maybe even a couple of blogistas still active.

      I'm careful about tmi, too, especially about people I talk about, no house, street names and number, no car license plates, no full face without permission, no kids full faces at all. No real naming my medical practitioners, neighbors, all that.

      Delete
  11. What a funny exchange. Though it seems like it might have been pretty frustrating, you sure have a good attitude. Makes one wonder if she was simply trying to save face, or if she had some comprehension, possibly dementia issues. "A doozy magnet" - LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was just unable to back out graciously, so she fell back on shouting!

      Delete
  12. my sister does the genealogy for our family. just a rabbit hole hobby but she has pushed some lines very far back, one possibly to the 900s. show rude of that woman to assume you are just being unhelpful instead of believing that Boud is not your family name. I had one guy contact me via FB about one of our past relatives/ancestors which info I gave him but then he kept asking for current information on living family members which I declined to give out. I might have passed his info on to my sister but I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do get far into their ancestry. Sounds as if Pam's one of them.

      Delete
  13. I've been suspicious of the safety of mail in ballots but it seems your locale has figured it out.
    As for genealogy and mistaken things - I once message a person on Ancestry who had noted a completely incorrect death date for my dad and politely informed her that it wasn't correct and gave her the proper date. Imagine my surprise when she messaged me and informed me I was wrong. Umm...I should know the date my own father died?!!! I, again politely, messaged her a copy of the death certificate. Never heard from her again and no idea if she changed her information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people get very possessive about their findings, even wrong ones. I wonder if she changed her notes to match the facts.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!