Friday, October 20, 2023

Misfits and decor

 Yesterday's Misfits box brought the makings of granola, among other things 


And a pumpkin for the doorstep for a few days before becoming soup


This is my entire Fall decorating. When the weather turns wintry, the wooden cat comes indoors.


The beauty of fruit, never fails 



And here's the granola, oats, walnuts, dried apricots, soaked overnight, cut small, caraway seeds, vanilla, dried cranberries.

Plus its friend, the yogurt in action. Notes on the granola: I forgot how oily walnuts are, and next time I'll toast them first to release oil before baking them. I might rebake them a bit. It tastes fine, particularly when you get a hit of caraway, but it's less crunchy than the last batch. Definitely edible.

And, as my tired back could explain, I removed the zinnias, hauling them into the trees to feed the earth and shelter little animals. So here's the meter, accessible to whoever comes to change it for a new updated version.


And here's where I think the hibiscus will be, if it ever arrives, supposedly last week, but maybe they're waiting for cooler weather to ship it.

Happy day,  everyone, knitting group this afternoon, all being well.  The sock is looking more and more psychedelic as it goes.


The good news is that I can use a second ball of yarn for the second sock, so it will be a pair, and I won't have to knit a third sock to make a point 

I'm returning the final season of Suits, to the same library, ready for the quiz. I'd certainly like to know who thought peplums were a great idea. They certainly frump up even the most beautiful actors, gah. Maybe they were a thing when Suits came out.

Anyway, change of viewing pace, I've requested the first season of Sherlock, so we'll see. 

And, for listening, I hugely recommend Rachel Maddow reading Blowout. So much explanation of events and disasters in the fuel industry that didn't get coverage over the years. She's an engaging reader and a brilliant writer.




22 comments:

  1. Busy Busy. I had to look up peplums. Who knew. You knew! I like the sock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend made a coat for her tiny dog with a peplum! Best application evah.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I had one of those cute wooden cats too at one time! I loved it -- mine was a chocolate point siamese version. And I just finished binge-watching "Sherlock" -- very cleverly written and wonderfully acted. Enjoy it! That series will be one of my "Sunday Seven" entries for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're now the third person recommending it. This should be good.

      Delete
  3. You've done more fall decorating than I have. Or will do, probably.
    I was thinking yesterday I should probably make myself some granola. We shall see.
    I'm not kidding when I tell you that your sock looks like a sunset over water. The oranges and yellows make way for the dark purples and pinks. Really quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the eventual recipient likes them, too.

      Delete
  4. That's a delicious looking misfits box! I see lots of good meals in your future -- and yummy granola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely like misfits, and credit them with my good health.

      Delete
  5. I prefer my granola chewy. Every bite lasts longer
    I totally understand the back issues after gardening. Sitting with a nice cuppa and admiring the work helps a little bit.
    Love your wooden cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to overdo it, get the project completed then notice I'm tired!

      Delete
  6. Well you have been very busy
    I love the color of the socks
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you like the socks, well it's one sock at the moment.

      Delete
  7. Your misfits and what you do with them is always quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly get some pleasure out of using them. More than just shopping locally.

      Delete
  8. That sock does seem to be having a bit of an identity crisis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the sock is quite vibrant. more golden berries I see. I only saw them in our grocery store that once. the granola sounds good. you may be inspiring me to make some since I can't get the muesli cereal I prefer on the days when I don't have time to make oatmeal for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granola's a handy staple to have around, not hard to assemble. I do like the golden berries so in case they're seasonal, I'm taking the opportunity.

      Delete
  10. Love the wooden cat! Just popping by to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cat is adorable. Glad you will be making the pumpkin 'into' something edible. I hate to see all the pumpkins go to waste and headed for the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here they're typically eaten if bought at all. The local population not so much into them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!