Sunday, October 29, 2023

Gardening home and away

 Yesterday the long awaited hibiscus arrived, as always much smaller than expected. Here's her day 





Now in a new home, watch this space.

Then the plant operation Gary postponed because I wasn't up for it the other day, happened. 

He arranged to come get me in the afternoon, and, knowing him, his need first to go out to lunch, then to shop, I didn't rush.

Got my walk in, lovely tree colors

Home again, pot of tea and cranwalsweetpot bread, reading Barbara Pym, nap, before he showed up.

He'd been painting baseboards, which he does by removing them and working outside. I always painted them in place, but I have a steady hand.

Anyway it turned out that he and Billy The Pup were refreshing the pots for several large houseplants, trimming roots, all that



He is exactly like Handsome Partner in setting up an obstacle course which he repeatedly steps over and around. 

I think it's a symptom of excess energy,  and found myself, like old times, organizing as we went, keeping tools in a bunch, not lost, empty pots stacked, all that. Quite a trip down memory lane which he was unaware of, just as Handsome Partner was.

We were slightly jarred by a noisy low flying helicopter coming over, which he identified as a military attack helicopter. There's a big military base not far from here as the helicopter flies, and we wondered if it was on maneuvers, relating to Gaza. We agreed that there's a lot going on we know nothing about. Possibly just as well.  

So half a dozen large houseplants refurbished, I retired home for a cup of tea, after a discussion of favorite teas and why.He was very satisfied with our accomplishments, and he's got his plants, some of them, set up for the winter now. 

Happy day everyone, enjoy your day, wet or dry, here it's wet, good thing we got the gardening done yesterday. My hibiscus will be happy with a bit of warm rain, still very mild here.





32 comments:

  1. It always feels good to get the plants set up for winter! I'll be curious to see what that hibiscus does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few yards away a neighbor has a red hibiscus which is huge and pretty much taking over. So that's one possibility.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like an all around good day. It's 25F here! I agree, there is much we don't know about and since we can't do anything about, we probably are better off not knowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get disturbed when I see military aircraft. They fly much lower than civilian ones maybe part of the training.

      Delete
  3. You did a good day's work with Gary's plants! Hibiscus is one of my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious about the hibiscus. I guess I missed the post where you talked about ordering it. certainly not a tropical if you put it in the ground that small at the beginning of winter. so I assume a mallow, perhaps a rose of sharon which I call an althea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breck differentiates it from rose of Sharon, and the flowers are much larger than local ones, the size of large dinner plates. Whatever it is, I hope it does well.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like your hibiscus planting timing is perfect. Mild weather and a good rain to settle it in.

    We planted garlic a few days ago, just before a predicted rain, and then (also as predicted) the bottom dropped out of the thermometer and we're enjoying nights in the low 20s. Good thing garlic is hardy - I suspect it would be more of a shock to your young hibiscus.

    Gary's repotting was well-timed. It's such a satisfactory feeling to tick off projects like that before the weather changes. And I'm sure Billy the Pup was a big help!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dealing with houseplants and pots is such a nice activity! I've got pots with soil and pots with pebbles, and enjoy refreshing them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a calming thing, like being part of history.

      Delete
  7. Ah- the weather. So warm here today. I should be outside, weeding or trimming or...doing one of those things. But the grandson just left and now I am feeling lazy and may just let myself be that for the rest of the day.
    I hope all the best things for your hibiscus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've earned some down time. I don't think I'd like gardening in Florida. I like the dormant season and waiting for the new growth in spring. And having no outdoor tasks.

      Delete
  8. You are good neighbours to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good neighbours are hard to find. You are fortunate to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this and the next block, I have six households of friends, the thick and thin kind. Yes, best I ever had, really. It's a big reason to stay.

      Delete
  10. How wonderful you have someone close who is happy to help
    Yes my hubby is the same. While he is busy doing “the work”. I’m running around
    Tidying up. They don’t notice but that’s ok.
    I’m just grateful for the help these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help is always great. This was my day to help him.

      Delete
  11. I am always amazed at how the tiniest slip of a cutting can arrive so well rooted and thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about a sturdy box, I think. Uncrushable.

      Delete
  12. I think it must be a male thing. Why don't they plan, organise, complete task, tidy up and put back where things belong? Rather than have everything haphazardly scattered all over the place and then the plaintive cry "have you seen .....?"
    I am looking forward to seeing the hibiscus when it finally blooms. They are lovely flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I don't get is putting things in your own way and having to step over them repeatedly!

      Delete
  13. I hope the plant does well. Gary seems like a great neighbor. Thanks for your kind comment today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a day where I was working for him!

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness... I'm laughing at the "obstacle course". My hubs does the same thing! And when I'm around, I try to clear stuff out of the "middle of the aisle" so someone doesn't break their neck. I can't say I do it all that quietly, though. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on the gardening. Our weather has gone very cold here and I still have more to do -- I wonder if it will actually get done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My outdoor work is done. As much as I'm doing, anyway.

      Delete
  16. Reading about the obstacle course method of doing things reminded me of my RC bitterly complaining about his mother following them around with her broom and dustpan whilst they did some home improvements. Must be in the female gene pool because I do the same thing.
    The hibiscus looks healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!