Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Fungi again and COVID, and advice seeking

 These are the fungi from the other day, already about twice the size. Their growth rate is amazing. If I don't pass that log for a couple of days, I probably miss an entire life cycle.


Yesterday I had the latest covid booster, very little reaction this time, surprisingly, considering the dramatic reaction I had with previous covid vax.

The appointment also saw a phenomenon which seems to follow me about. It's happened many times over the years, when I walk into a public place people seem to think I work there or something, who knows why. Even if I'm wearing a coat, clearly a member of the public.

Yesterday I was waiting for my vax, and a woman came up to me and asked if everyone was waiting for shots, not rxs, and how long was the wait. I said they seemed to be running a bit late, and she looked quite unsatisfied, as if I were fobbing her off.

When I'd been attended, another woman asked me when she would be called. She looked a bit sceptical when I explained I'd been seen late, so I supposed they were running late. I got out before anyone demanded to talk to my manager!

This happens quite a bit, usually comic relief. Like the woman who wanted to know some staff-related thing about an art exhibit I was visiting. I explained I didn't know, I was visiting, And she snarled "Is that meant to be an excuse?"

Why, why! And don't get me started on people asking for street directions, the worst person you could ask! If they're aggressive, I do my best, but wonder where they end up. The worst offenders on  demanding directions have had NY number plates... the advent of GPS has helped me a lot. I don't use it, but if other people do, they leave me alone.

Happy day everyone, if there's anything you need to know, I'll try to help, but I don't work here!

Don't ask me, I'm an innocent bystander.

28 comments:

  1. Fiddle, I wrote a comment and then clicked back without posting it. I think. Shall I try again? No, I'll just say I admire your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is strange. You do have an intelligent classy look that might make you an authority magnet to some people. When you see one coming at you, roll the shoulders forward a bit for a slumpy vibe. It might protect you from inquiries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must just have a competent, knowing look on your face at all times! That's why people assume you're a good person to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha, you're the person with the all knowing look! So sorry that it entices so many questions from others' needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll go with Salty's idea -- go slumpy!

      Delete
  5. I have nothing to add, everyone else summed it up. I'd go with slumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. I think you probably just look very intelligent, aware, and confident which is what people who need questions answered are looking for. And so rarely find.
    Yesterday as I was taking my walk, a big truck slowed down and stopped by me. A guy leaned out the window and said, "Is Baum Road up that way?"
    Of course I wanted to be helpful so I said, "Uh, I think it's that way," and pointed in the opposite direction from where they were headed. They turned around and went the way I pointed. I thought two things- how trusting they were and also, why weren't they using their phones' GPS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might explain why I haven't had problems teaching! Aha, I look as if I know what I'm doing, what a Pinocchio!

      Everyone doesn't have a phone with GPS. I don't. Nor a car with same. Above my price range. So there's that.

      Delete
  7. You have just given me a funny idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg I laughed so much reading this. You must have that kind wise face the clearly says I’m approachable.
    I definitely don’t have that face. I worked very hard on the go away and don’t talk to me face while I was working at a barmaid many years ago lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed reading this post, Boud. I hope you get paid for this assistance you give. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is fascinating. And, if my observations are correct, life is different, in some way, for every single human being. 😊 Now, just my take on why so many questions for you … you must have the appearance of someone who would know, and I would take that as a compliment. However, I can see how it might become annoying, and that might tempt me to think up answers that would prevent them from asking me again. 😊 Thank you for your thoughts today on what to do with the 45rpm records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome on the thoughts. I think the face Angela described might do the trick!

      Delete
  11. It's one thing to ask. I can go with that. But to get mad when you don't know -- that's just rude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often I'm mistaken for someone in authority, so people get indignant when I can't help them - they think it's my job!

      Delete
  12. There's something darkly humorous about that woman snarling at you because you weren't an employee. (I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time!) People are so strange. I once had a woman yell at me in a Post Office because I was standing in line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people get angry when they find they'd made a wrong assumption and don't know how to get out of it. But you're right, later it was funny.

      Delete
  13. You must have an impressive bearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm small, with a high voice that doesn't carry, so it's a mystery. Who knows?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!