Monday, October 30, 2023

If music be the love of food..And other misreadings

 My honorary granddaughter sends me an art card every week, and when she was in Berlin recently to  run the marathon, she visited museums, including the museum of early musical instruments. So these cards have started arriving.


Here's a wooden flute, the head of a bass viol, the ancestor of today's double bass, a c clarinet and a trumpet, all dating from the sixteenth century. 

These are instruments which played my favorite early music, very exciting to see. I hope they get played now and then, because they need handling and the wind instruments need warm air passing through them, to stay alive.

Yesterday was a rainy cool day, just right for comfort food, here tuna/cannellini bean fritters, with chili pepper, long pepper, and roast potatoes, sprig of Thai basil for a bit of color, ketchup because I could.



And comic relief from Free cycle

 

What I say is, if you need more elephant storage, you've got too many elephants.


And Halloween is almost upon us complete with costumes

Happy day, everyone, don't acquire elephants that you'll only have to store. But dress as one for Halloween, maybe.





33 comments:

  1. You are funny!! I'll keep an eye on the elephants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weirdly, I kind of like that table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well you didn't spot it on the street.

      Delete
  3. somehow I don't think even one elephant would fit in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE that little costume parade!! Thank you for sharing that with us! I only have one of your books, the Sootypaws one, and I love to share it with my grandkids. We enjoy looking at all the little details together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie Rudy? I didn't know there were books. Must check.

      Delete
  5. Cute storage.
    I don't have any animal motifs on anything. I do have a large resin cat sitting on the window sill though.
    Speaking of music, I discovered the YouTube channell of the pianist, Rousseau. I slept better after listening for an hour plus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence?
    Time for a new fence lol yup. I’m a mum who tells dad jokes lol
    Cool and wet here today

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to hear weekly from your honorary granddaughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's wonderful, so faithful for years now. She tells me she enjoys picking out cards and writing up her news to me.

      Delete
  8. Your granddaughter sounds lovely and so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is. I have no related grandchildren, and her related gparents are MIA, so we took each other on many years ago,and many adventures in both our lives.

      Delete
  9. You have quirky humour. It was a good start to my day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dear friend's granddaughter wound up playing a mellophone on her high school band and later in the army. She joined the army to play in their band, and consequently saw the USA and had wonderful adventures. She is still in the army, twenty five years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting when a musician joins the military, that combo.

      Delete
  11. That Hallowe’en parade is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One can never have too many elephants so good storage is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, the wee mice in their Halloween costumes! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your honorary granddaughter finds wonderful cards. I've enjoyed the several show-and-tells you've given us. And thank you for another Maggie Rudy day!

    Tomorrow I'll make my traditional 2 dozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to hand out to trick or treaters. We get just a few families stopping by, and I've never had either child or parent turn down a home-made cookie. It's my little stand against overblown fear and for good neighboring.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  15. The instruments are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect there are YouTube videos to hear authentic early instruments like these. Or modern replicas.

      Delete
  16. I'm with Steve- I like the elephant storage end table. I do have two elephants, both of them plush toys, one of them is Babar. So I could probably use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a good habitat for them. Too bad it's far away.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!