Monday, October 23, 2023

Sock toe, Sherlock and deja vu

 Thank you to the three people who recommended Sherlock as my next evening viewing. I started Season One, and it's good.  Cumberbatch is as irritating as ever, but Dr Watson is excellent and the landlady just so good, a great foil for Sherlock's affectation. 

Parts of the plot were very evident including the identity of the man who seemed to have kidnapped Watson, and the main criminal, but still fun.

The second sock is underway, and I'm showing you the toe here, as you see still on two needles, that's how this form of short rowing to shape the toecap works.



That dark yarn is a provisional cast on, done by crocheting stitches onto a knitting needle. Next, I'll pull out that yarn as I pick up stitches on two more needles, which results in a completely seamless and comfortable toe. 

The crocheting makes it possible to unzip the dark yarn while catching live stitches. If this is Minoan to you, just know that whoever invented shortrowing as a shaping mechanism was an anonymous genius.

In Aeon magazine today, check it out, very thoughtful writing, there's a stab, by researcher Anne Cleary,  at explaining the brain mechanism that's working when we experience deja vu, the sensation that we've been here, in this place or situation or conversation before. 

The writer points out that it tends to fade with age, and I think that's true, based on my own experience, but she tries and fails, I think, to explain the experience of, not just sensing this has happened before, but, more mysterious,  knowing what is going to happen next.

That was often my own experience, even when the speaker was about to recall a scene I could never have experienced. I simply flashed on everything they were about to say. Before I discovered that this completely unnerves and frightens some people, I'd blurt it out before they said it.  

I suspect it's a form of mind reading, where  people's brainwaves get into sync without our knowing it. I think this faculty may have kept me safe more than once as a young girl. But judging from the current article, it's still not explained by invoking memory, because it's about what hasn't happened yet. 

I wonder now if Oliver Sacks studied it. I must check that. I had a great correspondence with him, acknowledged in the paperback edition of Musicology, about synaesthesia. I suddenly wonder now if the future-knowing deja vu might be related? Certainly I have very active synaesthesia, a lovely component of experience. I wish he were still around to ask.

Anyway,  do you have experiences like these? Let us know, if you'd like to.  Some people prefer not to.

Or just do a puzzle. 


Here's the fishy scene underway, thanks to a bit of help from Handsome Son, between bites of granola bars, and fixing the setting on my car which insists there's low tire pressure after it's fixed. He's a treasure.

Happy day, everyone, puzzle on with jigsaw, knitting or mind reading!




29 comments:

  1. I am sure I've had the feeling I've been there before but I don't recall specifics. I read faces and body language. I'm pretty good at at, but sometimes I am wrong. I think that is a good thing. I had an experience with a clairvoyant that made me a believer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you need the ability to read body language in order to have a good relationship with horses?

      Delete
    2. Now that you mention it, yes you do. They communicate by facial and physical expression. I didn't connect the two.

      Delete
  2. I have often thought that we have more than the five senses we are said to have. I believe that these other senses were very important to early humans but that over the years, as we have learned different ways of communication, they have faded. At least in most of us. But almost all of us have experienced thinking of someone and then having the phone ring and it's them. Obviously- both parties were thinking of each other at the exact same time. Science just hasn't caught up to the details yet.
    So cool that you and Dr. Sacks communicated. I was so sad when he died. What a human being!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so honored to get his thinking. And his reassurance that despite what other doctors had insisted, it is possible to dream in colors not on the visible spectrum.
      I think aboriginal art shows us a lot about senses we've lost touch with.

      Delete
  3. Your son is a treasure. And now you made me want to find Sherlock amongst the streaming services. I guess he must be on one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a PBS /BBC production, so maybe start there.

      Delete
    2. I watched it on Canada's "CBC Gem" streaming service.

      Delete
  4. I had several vivid Deja vu experiences in my youth but no more. Sadly.

    We are doing a fishy puzzle these days too. Love it.

    Have a great week, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the faculty fades with age. I don't have it much these days.

      Delete
  5. I think deja vu IS less frequent with age. I once read that it occurs when brain chemicals associated with recall get released at the wrong time -- basically fooling your brain into thinking you're remembering something, even when you're not. I have no idea whether that's true or how definitive it is as an explanation but it made sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't explain knowing what hasn't happened yet though.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Mrs Hudson certainly gets her due in the "Sherlock" series! Her backstory just gets better and better as the series goes on.

    I occasionally get minor premonitions, such as thinking of someone and then they phone me that day or send me an email. If only I could get premonitions about winning lottery tickets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For several years as a little kid, I'd forecast the winner of the Grand National, a brit steeplechase, for my dad. He'd show me the (long) list of horses entered, I'd pick, he'd bet. And win! This is a race renowned for its mishaps, falls, injuries, not considered good for betting on, since knowledge didn't foretell it very well. So I guess a little girl is your best bet!

      Delete
  7. I love British mysteries although Sherlock, at least this Sherlock, is not my fave. It's ok, just not at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched two episodes, and I'll see how long it holds my interest. A bit gimmicky.

      Delete
  8. I thought Cumberbach being (sometimes) irritating was just me. lol. I do like most of his acting though.
    Now this is weird to read about. For the last couple of weeks, I've been having more deja vu than I've had in years. Repeat deja vu, old been there seen that, sensed that. There have been days with mulitiple episodes. I know I have had the thoughts and senses before because I gave them thought as to what they meant. People do tend to be irritated if I say I already knew something they just told me. It doesn't happen often enough to be a problem for me.
    I don't believe all deja vu are just a feeling of something happening before. I believe the person has been there before. What freaks me out about such things, is having a vivid dream where an event doesn't take place until over 20 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all either exciting or unnerving, depending on a person's perception. And I haven't seen any convincing explanations yet.

      Delete
  9. The toes of your socks are so neat
    De ja vu is a strange phenomenon. I’ve experienced it many times in my life and it always leaves me feeling a little strange.
    I learnt long ago to not let people know that I know. It freaks them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people get very worried about it. I learned not to mention it!

      Delete
  10. My mother used to say she could read minds - she also said she could see ghosts and was a witch. She used to terrify me as kid.
    There is so much about our brains we will probably never really understand, and I think that is a good thing.
    You are blessed to have such a gem of a son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we don't know a lot more than we do know about the brain and the mind. It's interesting to see how quickly people tend to dismiss experience they haven't had. I think it's about fear.

      Delete
  11. deja vu, yes I have experienced it but less and less. in fact I can't really remember when I last did. I think the human brain and/or consciousness is capable of far more than we understand. these flashes of ability occur most often when young, the young mind is not rigid as to what is and is not. once we decide that something is impossible, we stop being able to see or recognise these extrasensory phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I wonder if the young brain is more flexible as is the young body. We seem to settle on boundaries as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could Handsome Son come and fix our car too as Mini keeps telling me the pressure is low even when it's just been corrected? And I have watched whole episodes of Sherlock and still not understood it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about going into the settings and finding your way around, at which I'm only moderately adept, usually somehow switching it to Spanish

      Delete
  14. I loved that series. I thought it was very clever indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had premonitions over the years, the most notable being the day my not-yet-husband's family was headed to the bush to cut wood for the winter. I knew, beyond any doubt, that someone would get hurt and I was terrified. Of course they laughed me off. Well, they cut one tree and it fell in such a way that it was wedged by another. In the process of freeing it, it flew with lightning force right towards my brother-in-law's head. He ducked at the last possible second and it took his hat off but he was unhurt. After that they listened to me when I had a 'feeling'.
    And, the night my father-in-law passed away, I woke up out of a deep sleep to see him standing at the foot of our bed. I knew he was gone. I suspect he actually came to RC but he wasn't 'receptive' and instead I was the one who saw him.
    Both extreme occurences but there have been a multitude of smaller ones over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, these don't surprise me. I'm glad your foresight was taken seriously after that near miss.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!