Sunday, October 22, 2023

Pull of the Thread, sock ministry, and flowers

Yesterday's Textile Museum and NE Rug society's joint presentation was a montage of a generation of young travelers and collectors who followed the pull of Eastern textiles, to collect and display them to Western audiences.

Aside from the cringe factor of wealthy young white Westerners cosplaying Eastern wearable art, they did undertake serious study, too, and became knowledgeable in their special interests. So that's what I focused on in my editing of a lengthy PowerPoint presentation. 

There's the usual drawback that the presenter, whose own book is the subject of the program, admits to knowing little about textiles, so we refrained from asking questions about looms, dyes and material sources. I did make a point of including all the images showing artisans weaving. And there's a lot to enjoy here, so here goes.





















































And back home, I finished the sunset sock, and will start the second today.




Leaving you with the last of the flowers this morning, casting their shadow in an interesting composition,  happy day,  everyone, enjoy what you can, be aware of agendas!





22 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful works. I like that sock! I will beware, they are all around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely textiles yes, politically, not so much!

      Delete
  2. "The sunset sock" is a great description!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe that creation is the most profound thing a human can achieve and there are so very many forms of it, from the simplest to the most magnificent. All holy in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many forms of creating, and we need to remember your words and hold creating ahead of consuming.

      Delete
  4. So many beautiful colours and such imaginative work.
    I really love the sock. It worked up beautifully with those colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you about the sock. I'm glad you enjoyed the textiles, well organized, and their books are featured in case anyone's interested in learning more. If they can find them.

      Delete
  5. Incredible textiles. I cannot imagine weaving so fine and so intricate, not to mention the thread to execute them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments like yours make it very worthwhile to book and schedule and watch the program, then shoot, choose and edit my pictures! Each event takes me about four hours all told, and when it gets knowledgeable and appreciative reactions it's definitely worth the effort. I love these textiles and learn from every presentation.

      Delete
  6. My reaction is not knowledgeable but it is very appreciative. You put a lot of work into sharing these programs. The vast range of the textiles in this one, the patterns and colors - just wow.

    I too like the sunset sock, and I suspect the recipient will too.

    Your bouquets have been a delight to the eyes all season, so I started making tiny bouquets too. We may have a few more days of flowers, but the season is changing fast - right on schedule.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Mary moon's tiny bouquets so much that I started doing them in here, too.
      And thank you for your kind words about the textile offerings. I think they're an art form that needs to be seen more.

      Delete
  7. Those are just beautiful textiles. Love the idea of sock ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the nun whose group I'm a long distance part of who told me I could consider it a ministry, because they did. I like this much better than the term charity knitting, which sounds too Lady Bountiful for me.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Considering each of them wrote a book, there's a ton of material there, in both senses.

      Delete
  9. So many interesting textiles this time! Your sunset sock looks wonderful - will be hard to part with them I expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any trouble sending in my sock ministry items, more eager to get them to their recipients.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!