Saturday, October 21, 2023

Chicken dinner, cables and Rhinebeck

First order of business yesterday, to roast the chicken, which will be sandwiches, soup addition, salad, and finally, soup.



These little misfits chickens, just a couple of pounds, are so good. I don't do anything fancy with them, just butter and salt, one hour at 400°f.  They're good enough not to need much done.

True of pretty much any good ingredients. It's the struggling ones that need a lot of inventive cooking.  Tough meat, tired veggies, bland and dull squash, all that, need a lot of help. From me they get a wide berth, life being too short. Except butternut squash, which tastes of something. 

Speaking of inventive, I decided to try converting the latest granola into bars. This entailed a butter/ sugar/ molasses addition, and pressing into a pan, to refrigerate. I expect Handsome Son will help sample them.  One of my Minnesota friends used to say that in her world, the word bars instantly conjures up church suppers!


The reason for the molasses is that I don't buy brown sugar, which is needed here. It's just sugar still with its molasses, so I buy one kind of whitish cane sugar and where brown sugar is needed, add in a bit of molasses to convert it back, more or less. Good enough for gummint work, anyway.

Yesterday's knitting group was small and good, and the only projects you haven't seen are these from Sandy



this is a hat in black. As I angled it to catch the pattern, my phone read it as grey, but I thought you should see these very proficient cables.

Her other project is setting up for a Halloween sweater, with dancing skeletons to be worked on a black background.


Sandy fitted us in before dashing off for the weekend to Rhinebeck, to the huge annual sheep and wool festival, where crowds of knitters gather, with famous designers, sheep, yarn and general partying, wearing all kinds of handknits, many created specially for the event. This year the weather's wet and windy, but it won't deter the  faithful from their annual pilgrimage. 

The now indoor marigolds are taking a brave stab at flowering


Happy day, everyone! Enjoy your weekend, whatever the weather, looking at you, Babet in the UK.




25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sandy is really the best knitter I know. Also fun to be around.

      Delete
  2. Yes, roasting a small chicken to add to other recipes is a great idea. The granola looks great. However, your knitting is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The accomplished knitting is by Sandy, just spectacular.

      Delete
  3. Your indoor marigolds seem happy! I went to Rhinebeck for a wedding many years ago. Cute town, as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is really small, then it's engulfed annually by the Sheep and Wool fest.

      Delete
  4. Those cables are beautiful.
    Interesting about the brown sugar.
    I try to not use it much because it tends to flare up my sugar intolerance, anxiety, uneasy feelings of anger. It is the same as drinking hard apple cider or rum, sugar based drinks that can make some people aggitated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people who are sensitive to alcohol are supposed to be sensitive to the sugar content. And some people get depressed from sugar.

      Delete
  5. We are having roast chicken tomorrow. We haven’t had it for ages now and we get a number of meals from it. Soup and stew are among our favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how far a small chicken goes.

      Delete
  6. Our Publix grocery stores have a store brand called "Greenwise" which is of the more organic and non GMO and no antibiotics, etc. genre. Their small whole chickens are a delight. So juicy and so tender, and no, they don't need much more than salt.
    Look at that hat! Oh my.
    I bet that knitters can party with the best of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve never learned to knit cables. I love them and would love to be able to knit them. Maybe one day I’ll sit down and try.
    I love how you take one ingredient and make it go so far in so many different ways.
    No wastage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cabling, like a lot of things in knitting, is easier than it looks. Sandy's work seen here, is complex, but doable.
      I do like to use up every bit of food, one way or another!

      Delete
  8. Those cables are magnificent. Rhinebeck was the very last fair I did before I had a hip replacement. It was where I tried to sell handspun yarn. A little successful, but never like the weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I don't think of weaving in relation to Rhinebeck.

      Delete
  9. You certainly get your money's worth with those chooks.
    The cabling is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything but the cluck. And I'm working on that.

      Delete
  10. Whatever the weather. Well it's been rainy here. There is still some colour, and it can even look good enough in dull weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. when we bake a whole chicken it's two dinners and then chicken salad for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great resource. For me it goes several days.

      Delete
  12. Well done with the marigolds. I started knitting myself a jacket with that self same cable design up both fronts. I lost the will to continue at about the armholes and it has sat like that for over a year. Maybe seeing that photo will provide me with some motivation to pick it up again and finish it. Hers is definitely n better shape than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe when you get back to chilly England, you'll pick it up again.

      Delete
  13. I have knitted a very basic cable pattern and swore I wouldn't do it again. Definitely wouldn't be attempting a pattern as intricate as hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to be in a cable frame of mind.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!