Saturday, October 7, 2023

All libraries, great and small

On the way to the knitting group at the regular library, I dropped off the last few books from my Freecycling at the Little Free Library 

It's in the parking lot of the Arts center which used to be the Firehouse. And here's a few friendly greetings on the ground around the little library 


At the Big Library, there's currently a display of arrowheads, found in local fields,  and created by the Lenni Lenape, on whose ancestral land we live, and whom we celebrate with the long  weekend coming up.


The knitting group was small, probably because of the  long weekend, Monday being Indigenous Day, and here's a completed sock,  the second sock being finished in time for a birthday this weekend, also the first sock I've ever seen at the knitting group other than my own


the sock knitter, librarian C., was wearing one of her own tops, in a fine linen thread, a beautiful fabric. She's the maker of those marvellous fantasy animals I showed you a while back, very talented maker, musician, and children's librarian.


And there's a Halloween gnome in progress by F., who brought you the cute hats I showed you recently


A small group and a merry one, talk ranging over haunted houses, corn mazes, pumpkins, stiff necks and the latest exercise for them, children's art, board games, and more. There was also companionable silence sometimes, very comfortable.

Rain today, just right for more stitching on the wallhanging accompanied currently by Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan on YouTube. I did prune the butterfly bush, so it won't be pulled down by the rain, yay me,  great timing 

Happy day everyone, enjoy the season, the holiday if it's one for you, the weekend if not. And remember the indigenous people who first cared for the land a lot of us live on. 

If you're Australian, I hope they get your support in your upcoming indigenous people referendum. The US can't brag -- it's not so long since native Americans finally got citizenship and voting rights, and they have to fight endlessly against vote suppression. We all have work to do. 

Did you know that native Americans looked on transgender people as sacred, with insights into more of life than single gender people, to be protected?











27 comments:

  1. I did not know that. The librarian is accomplished! Having the social outlet of the knitting club is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really important to people like me who live alone, and to women new to the community, and the country, needing to make connections with likeminded spirits.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reminder Monday is a federal holiday.
    October, feels like the holiday is a week away. I see orange tint to the mountains when it is so green nearby. This is foliage leaf peeping week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors seem to be a bit late this year.

      Delete
  3. If we were as wise as indigenous people, we too would regard Two Spirit people as special and insightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's an awful marker of mediocre and narrow thinking to condemn whatever's different, even when it's superior.

      Delete
  4. I've noticed a number of little libraries popping up around our town - good to see. There's one that has two 'buildings' side by side with one being for kids books. If I didn't have the little 'library' in our laundry room I would definitely be donating books to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the concept of little libraries. When I remember, I donate books, occasionally take one, too.

      Delete
  5. Especially appreciated your post because it brings me up-to-date on Indigenous Peoples Day. I am a part of that generation that probably still calls it “Columbus Day.” It’s easy to understand why Americans want to recognize Columbus, but I am thankful that we have finally recognized how much we owe the Indigenous People and honor them with a Federal Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to move away from Columbus, the more I found out about him! Locally we have a large older generation of Italians, many born in Italy, so it's still a hot topic for them.

      Delete
  6. good job on that pretty blue top. and yes I did know the indigenous peoples attitude towards the transgender. two spirit people. they are much more civilized than us white people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue top is spectacular in person, beautiful fabric, very fine knitting.

      Delete
  7. I'm just about to take some books up to the little free library a few blocks from here.
    That is a gorgeous top Librarian C. made and that's also a very fine sock she made. How nice that you can get together with people whom you can chat with or be quiet with. I love that image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C is a lovely person, very funny, so talented. And she understands how to let groups be. I really feel better in the knitting group than in most company, probably because of the shared interest.,

      Delete
  8. I'm always interested to see what books wind up in those little free libraries! I had heard that about Native Americans and trans people. Must be amazing to live in a society that wasn't governed by money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did use currency equivalents though. Nowadays the nearest we get to free giving and taking is the little f.l. and various versions of Free cycle. But when you analyze it, most of life in any era is transactional. The native American way was transactional with nature -- taking only a portion, to let more grow, observing planting times according to leaves opening, etc.

      Delete
  9. Indigenous people had so much right when they were on their own on this continent. We have lots to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do. I read Braiding Sweet grass by Robin Wall Kimmerer, such a treasure of knowledge and kindness that it was a life changing event.

      Delete
  10. We have a fiber group I have yet to attend since retirement.
    I want to learn to knit this winter I have to many projects going now to pick up one more.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing with having a lot of interests -- getting to them all.

      Delete
  11. That sock has made we want to pick mine back up. Maybe later today.
    Next weekend will be interesting for Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for the sock. I'll be watching the news, too.

      Delete
  12. Hah! I thoguht I was reading another blog but said to myself, "This sounds like Boud."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that, too, and thought, no this isn't that blogger's style, then found it was someone else!

      Delete
  13. That is interesting about native Americans and transgenders. What a great librarian to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have quite a few great librarians. It's a lively community, so I think that attracts good applicants.

      Delete
  14. I just can't resist a little free library! What an interesting display.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!