Thursday, October 5, 2023

Flowers, food, gymnastics and Maggie Rudy

 One more flower has come in the house. 

The season's waning, though it's still in the 80s f, so not many more flowers. Some great fungi appearing overnight



Such intricate structures, natural art forms appearing daily.

Back to wearing skirts, but soon I change the front door curtain for the red felt one, and the sofa cover to the warm kitty-themed throw. Not in a big hurry on these though. 

And what to cook when you're short of ideas, not interested right now in tomato based standbys, here goes with onions, leeks, yellow potatoes, heavily spiced with long pepper, my new go-to, za'atar, kosher salt, tossed in olive oil and left a couple of hours, before 30 minutes at 400°f. Served over jasmine rice, I remembered to cook rice.


there's enough for a second dinner today. I also need to bake something, because Handsome Son is visiting. It might be warm enough to sit outside, if the biting bugs aren't too active.

Yesterday the US women's gymnastic team won a record seventh World gold, with Simone Biles' amazing floor routine blowing away the competition. 

Go see it on YouTube and marvel at her landings. She also got a vault named for her, another move with her name on it. We're fortunate to see this greatest of all gymnasts still on form even when older for a gymnast.

Those of us who can barely do a somersault and have never managed to get over a vaulting horse, usually getting stuck on top, can only wonder and admire this power and beauty in action.

Back home, a bubble bath might be a good idea, after watching all that exertion

And some more stitching. 




The added rows of stitching are lending body to the piece as I go. A lot more stitching yet to do, such meditative pleasure. I'm glad I started this piece and that you're coming along with me as it happens.

Happy day, everyone. In the midst of political and climate chaos, art is there for us. Making something, if you're a maker, cooking something if you're a cook, tending  your plants and animals, all these are actions supporting calm and order, and they're acts of resistance to chaos and enmity.




18 comments:

  1. I am changing up the menu now. Stew made it to a recent picnic and chili is on the agenda, as well as cabbage rolls which I haven’t made in ages. I love autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the most vivid narrative dreams after cabbage rolls. I think there must be psychedelics in them. Last time I was a mounted police detective with a silver sword and blue hair, vanquishing criminals right and left.

      Delete
  2. Perfect upright mushroom , or toadstool? They do just pop up instantly it seems-
    Your stitching is gorgeous , inspiring, by the time I return I may have to give it ago. Of course mine would be about three inches , only one panel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One panel at a time.. Thanks for the nice words.

      Delete
  3. Well done to your girls. I love seeing women doing well.
    We should all build each other up.
    So much work has gone into the wall art. It’s going to look wonderful when it’s done. Thank you for taking us along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that gymnastics result wonderful? So glad to boost their signal.
      Thank you for the nice words on the stitching. It's giving me such pleasure, too.

      Delete
  4. For the life of me I cannot think of what to cook the last few days. I pleaded with Glen this morning to tell me something he'd like to eat and he looked like I'd asked him which cat he would choose to sacrifice to the gods.
    Sigh.
    Anyway, we always figure out something.
    Your stitching is coming right along and I know it must be such a gentle and peaceful pleasure.
    I love the little mousey in the sardine can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at an array of food in the freezer and fridge and on the shelf and not being able to decide! It's like looking into the closet and not having a thing to wear.
      I'm listening to Barbara Pym while I stitch, great combo.
      That's no sardine can, it's a top of the line bathtub!

      Delete
  5. Simone Biles is inspiring. What a great comeback from her stress-related issues that she quite rightly handled by taking a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had great courage to attend to her own needs despite massive pressure. Smart lady. And back triumphantly!

      Delete
  6. The stitching is wonderful! Thanks for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to share it with people who appreciate stitching, so you're welcome.

      Delete
  7. I'm not doing much creating lately but I'm enjoying watching you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll get into some watercolor now your temperatures are cooling enough to think about it.

      Delete
  8. I love the stitched hanging -- it's beautiful. Simone Biles -- I cannot begin to comprehend how she does it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm with you in how can a person do what she does? The height! The moves in midair! The strength!

      Delete
  9. Maggie Ruby always manages to charm. I'm so lucky that Resident Chef takes care of the cooking and I don't have to come up with ideas of what to make. If it were up to me I'd likely live on grilled cheese sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grilled cheese sandwiches, now there's an idea. With ketchup for dipping..

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!