Saturday, July 1, 2023

Paris, life offering lemons, White rabbits

White rabbits, for July 1st, also Happy Canada Day


 Edith Holden's tribute to July


And a special day for Lucia and her fans


I may reread her in tribute. 

Then life, well Misfits,  literally gave me, well sold me,  lemons, so beautiful I had to take pictures. 





I zested two of them then pitted and sliced them for the freezer. The other two will keep on the counter where I can enjoy seeing them 

Speaking of famous people and streets, more or less, this suddenly showed up on my timeline

This is the street I lived on when I worked in a Paris family as an au pair. I was there in the late 50s.

See the very top floor, under the roof? My private room was a tiny place up there with a marvelous view, much better than my employers ' affluent apartment several floors lower.  The attic floor was the servants quarters when the boulevard was built, dating back to live-in help. Also suitable for starving artists.

Right across the street lived Francoise Sagan, of "Bonjour Tristesse" fame, very young, newly affluent,  and my employer used to grumble at how badly she treated her wildly expensive cars. I used to wonder if a little bit of envy got in there.

Fast forward to now, and this morning I started weaving skirt panel four, 

so happy to be making again. I tried a bit of knitting yesterday, 

and found my neck wasn't quite ready, but getting there.

 Happy day everyone, when life brings lemons, we can try looking for the workarounds. Sometimes there's a workaround.

June's over, Pride isn't.




 

22 comments:

  1. What amazing memories you must have of that time in Paris.
    I wonder what you will do with that lovely lemon zest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly an interesting time, the Algerian crisis going on, and I met my first American boyfriend, what a sweet kid.
      Lemon zest goes everywhere! Cookies, shrimp, jam.

      Delete
  2. Oh, to be young and in Paris! Did it change your life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly sn eye opener to a young Yorkshire woman suddenly being seen as a sheltered English lady!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing life you have had.
    So many wonderful memories.
    That skirt is going to look awesome I can’t wait to see it all finished
    When life gives me lemons. I make lemoncello lol,

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life's still going on! About lemons: uf you make lemon jello and use tomato juice instead of water, you get a great savory jello, much better than aspic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your life has been an adventure.
    Love the hot colored yarns, bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life continues to be an adventure! And I really like the cheerful yarn colors.

      Delete
  6. Our town continues PRIDE through July- the forth all rainbows instead of red white and blue. I love the building where you lived - enchanting! Paris - I always feel apologetic when I travel but Paris makes me ,down right ,feel like groveling... sorry for my rudimentary French. Your knitting is such a sunny treat for the eyes, love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the street, but the actual apartment was in the middle of a block if I remember correctly. Same idea as in the picture though. This yarn is cheerful, yes.

      Delete
  7. What a great memory, Boud. It must have been an exciting time for your young self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much! I was about 19 at that time, went off alone to look for an su pair job through an agency I'd heard of.

      Delete
  8. Your knitting and weaving is wonderful. And Happy Canada. I love the Mapp/Lucia books. Do you follow their FB page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do fb but there's a Friends of Tilling account on Twitter which I like. Thank you for the nice (!) words about the fiber project's.

      Delete
  9. I like knowing that bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an interesting life you have lived. It's good you can do some making and that you are listening to your neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continue to live an interesting life. Old,not dead :). And my neck gets insistent. Maybe I'll name her.

      Delete
  11. Oh yes, Paris just wonderful.
    I like your web work. I'm really looking forward to it. I wish you lots of fun with your activities.
    Today I sewed a sweat shirt for myself out of an old sweat shirt from my husband... I'm quite happy. It's so nice to produce something useful.
    I wish you a happy Sunday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. my life seems so dull in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, living in Texas sounds so exotic!

      Delete
  13. Living in Paris at 19 must have been an amazing adventure. You should write a book about your life because you've done so many interesting things. I'm sure Handsome Son would be an appreciative audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my blogging is! Since 2008. It's a slowly unfolding autobiography. But handsome son has little interest! I'm just his dear flaky cranky old mom!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!