Sunday, July 23, 2023

Nutgrass, design thoughts and Freecycle

Yesterday I pulled this, I think nutgrass, which I plan to try as a cordage material. 


I think it's a sedge. I can't find any references to it as a material. All I can find is How to Kill It.  

There's something wrong with obsessing about killing plants, I really believe. If it's invasive, don't lose your head and act as if it's a deadly danger. It's the deranged lawn lovers mainly. Lawn Derangers! 

Anyway, I've hung it to dry and I'll try it out.

I haven't done any work on my little cordage basket recently, needing to spare my neck, but I'm between sewing projects so I think I'll do a bit today.

I ironed the muslin, which is three yards plus of 27" wide -- the other strip became the curtain lining in the bedroom -- so it will need some thought, about other fabric to go with it for a summer robe. 


This is on hold, however, since I'm waiting for a Freecycle kind delivery this afternoon.

It occurred to me to ask for bedsheets, to use as fabric, on Freecycle, and I got a quick offer. The location is a bit far from here but they very kindly offered to deliver! Way beyond the normal you want it you come get it procedure.  Arriving this afternoon, so we'll see what shows up. If they're well used, they'll be good for hand sewing.

Meanwhile, this year the Japanese maple has put on such a growth spurt it's casting enough shade to sit under.




The views from under the tree 

Cool morning, the temp in the 60s, where you wake up early, open the window and draw the quilt up, to lie and listen to the mourning doves.

And here's a Sunday puzzle

Happy day, everyone, gardeners, too, don't get nuts over nutgrass!




28 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I am one of those people obsessed with invasives! But I don't even have a lawn so that's not my situation. I just hate the fact that these plants that someone once put in for their attractiveness (I guess) have taken over and replaced what would grow here naturally to attract local pollinators and feed local critters.
    Your patio looks so inviting and your maple really has grown! I am glad you got some cooler weather this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a native, I believe. There are invasive native species. Like phragmites grass. I expect their natural foes have been eradicated by people with lawns.

      Delete
  2. I'm not going nuts over nutgrass, but I AM going nuts over than brainteaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those impossible ones that suddenly dawn on you.

      Delete
  3. Most of our little front lawn and garden is mulched. Whatever the rest does, plus our neighbour’s portion, is left up to nature. We mow whatever is there, but we don’t water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the nutgrass plans. And the muslim would be really nice as a wrap for summer mornings. Hope the sheeting is in good shape. I have a favorite old one that is only used occasionally because it's become threadbare in the used part. But the wisteria print on it is just lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what the donated sheets will look like.

      Delete
  5. oh, nut grass. no poison but I do dig it up or pull it up but I never get all the nuts and it comes back. it's johnson grass I hate with its tough stems like wire and its deep roots. don't poison it either. I never got around to mulching this year and I wish I had because it is so hot and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Johnson grass is a trial. But we just used to mow, mainly to avoid being surrounded by trees, and the "weeds" stayed green!

      Delete
  6. This early bird is not complaining. Got the puzzle immediately. Look forward to seeing the sheets. Hope you aren't disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneaky clue there! Yes, I'm hopeful about the sheets.

      Delete
  7. I have given up, nature is winning. I've never poisoned. We are allowing the forest to take over. Allowing is not quite right, it's doing what it wants and we aren't arguing anymore. I look forward to your progression with the robe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to be in the company of people whose resistance, if they mount one, doesn't extend to poison! We can't kill our way to victory.

      Delete
  8. Happy Japanese Maple! It looks gorgeous.
    Interesting on the PBS show, Human Footprints, with Dr. Campbell-Staton, there's a segment about invasives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched a bit of it and was discouraged to find that they signed on to the assumption that invasives are introduced plants. Nope, they can be native.

      Delete
  9. It’s been too hot here overnight. We leave the windows open and the breeze blowing through the house helps though. The humidity is killer this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The overnight here was cool enough to offset the humidity, which has been very high lately.

      Delete
  10. I've been thinking about a summer-weight housecoat too but haven't lucked out and found one in my limited thrifting trips. I refuse to pay full price and I don't have the least desire to make one so I'll bide my time. Having said that, tomorrow I cut into fabric to make a dress for our grandie. She needs a new summer dress (probably doesn't, but that's not going to stop me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're fearless when it comes to dresses for your granddaughter!

      Delete
  11. Day is gone here and we are under a rumbling thunderstorm. Next week will be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.
    If it’s annoying you. Move it I say.
    And don’t get me started on the crazy lawn people

    I can’t wait to see what you make with all that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I take it personally when people criticize plants and dismiss them as weeds. Like we're perfect!

      Delete
  13. I'm not sure I've ever seen nut grass. Garlic mustard, we have that growing. I've eaten that. Quite good. Great brain teaser. Got me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here, wetland country, we have a lot of reeds and sedges. I bet the answer will jump out at you.

      Delete
  14. I did what the puzzle said when the answer jumped out at me (as you said it would).

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!