Friday, July 14, 2023

Misfits, more skirt design, and ironing boards

 Misfits box arrived 



Bringing lovely fresh lettuce and parsley, salmon for immediate dining pleasure, and a chicken for a few days' time.

Also two freezer blocks which I tossed next door, but no excitement this week, so Gary must not have mislaid anything.


And here's a step by step showing the difference between a design on the table and the same design in action. I really liked this layout, pinned in place. So I tried it on.


And you see how hopelessly unflattering it is in action. All wrong on my hips. Fortunately it was only pinned, so I repinned

And now it's a much better shape and drape. 

This is the way a dress you see in a shop and like and try on,  makes you cry in the dressing room. Online shopping, when it gets home to you, too. But when you're making it yourself, you can change it before sobbing. Just sayin'.

And I have one strip of fabric left to run a narrow decorative band across the back waist.  Literally no remnants. It's like yarn chicken, only fabric chicken. Have you noticed that weavers say cloth, dressmakers say fabric? I do both, weave cloth and sew fabric.

Today is cooler and stormy, lovely in fact, and Handsome Son, who has been on vacation this week, dashing all over, shore, concerts, is making an hour to visit me.  We had arranged that only if the weather isn't good for other activities, he'd come over! His vacation time is precious, he can see his cranky old ma anytime, is how I feel. He's more tactful.

I read a sample of Apricots on the Nile, per Liz's recommendation, couldn't get it anywhere via libraries other than clunky ILL, so I broke down and actually brought a used copy from Abebooks or Thrift books or one of those great places.

I also bust out for a tabletop ironing board, because my flat surface isn't doing it for skirts where you have to insert the ironing surface into the thing in order not to be ironing two sides at once and creating new creases.  

Surprising how many folding boards are designed by people who evidently don't know this. I ordered one, only one I could find,  where the support legs weren't at the four corners, defeating their own purpose. Why do they think ironing boards have that pointed end, I wonder.  Just a fun cute feature? Tell me you're an ironing board designer who's never ironed without telling me, etc.

Happy day, everyone, may all your equipment be designed for purpose!




31 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the repinned skirt looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, the repin looks really snazzy. Yiu have a goid sense ig design balance.
    Ironing boards. They travel well. The inexpensive one I have is close to 40 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the decades I spent teaching drawing and design, I hope I have some grasp of it! But yes, there's a natural feel for it that can be developed but not learned.

      Delete
  3. Your face in the photos expresses your thoughts on the skirt! Disapproving to yes, that's it!Have a good visit with HS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I never noticed. I could never play poker.

      Delete
  4. Clearly that ironing board was designed by someone who never ironed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a lot of other kitchen and household equipment, that doesn't work or can't be cleaned etc. I think designers should be forced to use, repeatedly, the "useful" items they're offering.

      Delete
  5. Your skirt with the triangles pinned up is beautiful... great.
    You can really look forward to it, looks good.
    Yes, I'm constantly trying on everything I sew myself, and it's such that you can see the flaws in the mirror... fortunately.
    Have a nice weekend. Greetings from Viola
    Enjoy your new skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, you get the importance of checking as you go!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing those two skirt portraits. You're right - the top one is all wrong, and the bottom one is lovely. Seeing them side by side (or one atop the other, actually) really helps my uneducated eye. And I too chuckled over your expressions.

    Glad your weather is cooler, and that HS has enjoyed a week of vacation.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting to see in action, complete with reactions! I'm going to like this skirt

    ReplyDelete

  8. Patterns do matter. And yes the second pic is much more flattering.
    Very clever of you to adjust and see. I would never have thought to do that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Now you've seen it done, you'll know forever.

      Delete
  9. Very well done on the skirt. May you get very good use from it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark 2 is definitely flattering. Smiling helps! How lovely to get a precious hour with HS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising what a small change can make.

      Delete
  11. the green triangles don't do much for me but each to their own. You're making me want to get out the fabric I bought months ago for a new skirt and get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting to see the design change on the skirt and I initially thought the first version was good, but then I paid attention to the second and realized how much better it was. (speaking of trying on clothing, I just ordered three long dresses and my fingers are firmly crossed that at least one of them might suit...really good end-of-season sale, so we'll see).
    As for small ironing boards, I have one my Dad made for me many years ago. Made correctly for optimal use too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the dresses work for you. Such a lottery. Your dad had evidently seen ironing done, maybe even done some!

      Delete
    2. Yes, my dad could iron - and did, as the need arose. I think he made several of those small ironing boards for different people.

      Delete
  13. Yes, the skirt looks much better now. I haven't been able to find Apricots on the Nile except on Amazon. I currently have it sitting in my basket while I keep trying. Good job Handsome Son. I am off to a barbecue this evening. At this moment it is dry but the rain when it comes - and it does frequently today - is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting Apricots from a resale bookstore, yay. Let's hope for dry weather for the barbecue.

      Delete
  14. Excellent change on the skirt. It turned out really well. And you are so right about making it yourself. Online clothing shopping is the worst experience; so nerve-wracking to find things that fit properly. I recall it was the same back in the days of catalogue shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always looks lovely online or in the catalog. It's a mirage!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!