Thursday, July 27, 2023

Shakshouka, fridge and check updates, oh well

 Yesterday's mood improved dramatically after I made and sampled a lovely shakshouka.  The original recipe in Meghan's Grenfell cookbook, involves bell peppers which I never have.

But I used spinach and lentil sprouts, and got a terrific result.




The flatbread is essential, to help get all the sauce.  And there's enough for two more meals.

Accompanied by a glass of sun tea, this one raspberry peppermint

The investment company returned my Twitter dm,  asking for a phone call because my question was so account specific, I sighed, been there before. 

Kyle, probably a third grader, defensively stonewalling. Unless you can surmise the answer and formulate the question to fit it, they're useless. I think people in the financial world are deeply passive aggressive!

So I tried again, saying this is not account specific, and did they void the checks when they switched management to brokerage style? Basically my original question reworded. 

This time Debbie, it's always a woman who actually reads the question and answers it, when the men are claiming nobody can help,  answered saying yes.  

The old checks need to be destroyed, and I need to apply for new updated check writing arrangements.  So if you can guess the answer, you'll get a confirmation. If you can't fathom it, they'll never help.

I'll destroy the old checks and go from there.

In other news, I heard back from both fridge retailers  I've used and been pleased with in the past. They're out of stock, of anything in the size I need.  Earliest availability will be late September. 

One other retailer I tried refuses to deliver, curbside pickup only,  meaning they won't take away the old one either. So I hope the current fridge keeps limping along till I can replace it. Oh well. 

The robe's coming along though. Just as well, because here's where we are



Good weather for a new lightweight robe and sun tea.

Happy day, everyone! Keep your cool, in all senses.




23 comments:

  1. This is the second blog post this morning with refrigerator issues. I hope your hangs in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been okay, I just have a sense of urgency about it.

      Delete
  2. It would be helpful to notify people at the time of transition that the checks are no longer good. We are having the same weather, it's miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They fell down on that one, their q and a emphasizing that checkwriting would continue. No indication that it would require a new set of checks.

      Delete
  3. Your forecast looks just about like ours.
    Okay. So when we were in NC week before last, we ate breakfast at a place that offered Shakshouka. I had never heard of it before. Ever! That I know of. And my son-in-law ordered it and loved it and since then, yours is the third mention of it I have heard. I suppose I am just noticing when it is mentioned. Funny how that happens.
    Glad you figured out the check thing. Seems like that would have been information that was offered during the change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote about shakshouka when I got the cookbook, and made it then, do you've seen it here before! It's great, wonderful texture. And yes, they gave incomplete info on the checks. Arghgh.

      Delete
    2. That was March 30th this year.

      Delete
  4. Is the fridge good enough for a thrift shop donation? They sometimes pick up, and then fix broken appliances. I'd keep looking for a fridge and try to coordinate. Or perhaps somebody is in need of a garage beverage fridge.
    Goodluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is over 30 years old, parts no longer available, which is why I'm buying new, when I can. At that point I arrange for the retailer to take and scrap the old one. That's my usual process, anyway. I expect a new one will be more fuel efficient too.

      Delete
  5. It’s like everywhere these days you have to have the answer the. They will either answer yes or no.
    I have no idea what these people do to actually earn their money.
    Fingers crossed your refrigerator lasts until the new one arrives.
    The weather here is cold and today it’s also wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What they do to earn their pay is a good question. It's hard to imagine cold and wet today. I'm hoping the fridge limps on for a while.

      Delete
  6. Glad the bank business got sorted out. Hateful job though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the investment company that's involved with the check snafu. No bank is in the picture. I think people are getting the two mixed because they both use checks.

      Delete
  7. I swear they must have meetings to discuss how to make our lives more complicated and lessons on how not to listen. I hope your fridge situation gets sorted quickly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping that your current fridge hangs in there. Good for you for planning ahead and (hopefully) averting a crisis. Our appliance store estimated a six month wait for our replacement stove; it actually came in five months. We too had planned ahead, thank goodness, as that would have been a very long time to cook on camping stoves...

    We love shakshuka!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fooled by the ease of replacing the fridge at the condo. Just a few weeks ago I even had a choice of colors. I must have bought one of the last in the area.

      Delete
  9. Over here fridge retailers have to take away and legally recycle the old ones. Something to do with extracting refrigerants (greengouse gases). It doesn't seem to stop unscrupulous secondhand dealers finding someone to fly tip truckloads of old fridges in isolated woodlands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear regular complaints about fly tipping in the UK, and locals doing detective work to find the culprits. It's satisfying when they catch them.

      Delete
  10. Fingers crossed the fridge hangs in there until a new one becomes available. As for the banking issue, how I wish they would hire people who would actually answer the phone without putting us through all the 'push 1 for this, 2 for that' which never quite fits the problem you have. Makes me even more annoyed when you go through all the rigamorole, finally figure out how to maybe get a real live person, and they drop the call, making you have to start all over. Or, even more maddening, when they tell you that it's not their department but they'd be happy to transfer to you and then cut you off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What really upsets me is when all this happens and it's your prescriptions you're trying to order. harrowing when your health's involved.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!