Saturday, July 22, 2023

More history bounding, fruit pasties, lentils and future beans

Yesterday I hauled out the rest of the pastry from the freezer. This was for the fruit filling I've been thinking about.

I mixed chopped dried apricots, the very moist kind, dried cranberries, a grated gala apple, with nutmeg, cinnamon, sumac and lemon zest, wonderful smell as they blended.





This made, rather than the ten officially expected, two batches, one of small ones, one big.  This could, as it turns out, work for Christmas mince pies, very similar flavor and texture. Noted.

I also think I can use this pastry recipe for cheese straws, great idea that came as I was eating a breakfast pasty, from the cheese and onion batch I made with the first half of the dough.

This seems to be an all purpose recipe.

About food, another idea I got from Apricots on the Nile was to try sprouting lentils. 

These are organic, from Misfits, so we'll see. Damp paper towels. I haven't sprouted for years.

And when I order this afternoon from Misfits, I'm including cannellini beans, another all-purpose food. 

This time I'm planning akara, a Nigerian  kind of doughnut using these beans. Vegan! Gluten free! It's not an issue for me, but might be interesting for some readers. Watch this space.

More about the skirt, which I wore yesterday, very happily. One of Ash's tips was that if the hem is a bit off, adjust at the waist. Which I did.

 I found a small section that needed unpicking and restitching, and that brought the hem up all even. It's a drawing tip,  too -- when something looks wrong in your drawing, fix the part next to it, because that's usually the issue.

And about historical sewing and design, there's a whole community of sewing experts who make and wear period clothes all the time, not just for reenactment. They're fashion historians as well as great artisans, well worth a look in YouTube and other media. 

They're often friends, inviting each other to be guests on their channels, and here are some of them. 







Karolina Zebrowska is Polish,  with such fluent English you don't remember,  until she breaks into Polish history and you realize she's more talented than we can imagine. Her channel is well worth a visit. She's also brilliantly funny.

There are more, just mentioning my favorites. And yes, it's a world of hugely talented gay and trans people, generous enough to share and teach, like Ash. I  admire them and their grace and patience under pressure. 

So that's Boud today. I just read a piece about how stuffed animals aren't just for kids. They're comfort for sleepless adults, too. Noted in case I ever need sleeping help. Fred Bear and Ursula may find they're conscripted, as well as guarding my hand woven cloth.

Happy day everyone, enjoy who you are and whom (!) you love, the inner grammarian never sleeps, and what you're doing today.





19 comments:

  1. "what the poor wore". not much different today. high fashion for the rich, china made jeans and t-shirts for the poor. your fruit pasties always look so good I'm tempted to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some delicious looking pasties. These dashing people in their period wear must turn heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They get a lot of questions. I imagine people assume they're on their way to a reenactment or fancy dress party or something.

      Delete
  3. I like the Victorian mob boss style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bernadette! So knowledgeable, so funny.

      Delete
  4. Glen's grandmother made fried pies which he so wishes I could replicate. The shape of yours is the same, I think, but of course fried, rather than baked. She was a Tennessee woman who used dried apples that she herself dried ON THE ROOF OF THE HOUSE. She also made beautiful quilts from scraps of fabric that she battered for with haircuts. Or something like that. I wish I'd known her. She could have taught me a lot.
    As do you. I love that sewing tip. Also the idea that there are people who love and recreate vintage clothing lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the roof was safe from bears? Certainly hot enough.

      Delete
  5. I watched a video about Zack Pinsent once and his wardrobe. He is not scared to "be himself" no matter how odd that seems to others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. His dad is a great supporter and defender of his life, so he got lucky there, and he acknowledges it, which is very nice.

      Delete
  6. I really love the long skirts and fitted coats. I think I was way too late.
    Looking back through history, with rose tinted glasses we all can dream of bygone eras. It then you learn the true history, of sanitation, bizarre medical beliefs, woman's rights, or lack of, and so many other things. It’s much nicer to be where we are.
    I can’t wait to see what you do with the beans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to realize that a lot of social history is about middle class and more affluent people. It's not everyone! About wearing period clothes now, I notice that they usually live in cities, so they don't have to drive! I couldn't manage a long skirt or a cape while driving.

      Delete
  7. Those treats look fabulous.
    Period clothing. I admire folks that find a style and stay with it. I think it is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very interested in the high skill levels. They design and handstitch a lot of them, except when they use vintage machine's.

      Delete
  8. The period pieces looked wonderful, Boud. All that clothing would be so uncomfortable on a very hot day and surely they had some at the time. The pastries look good enough to eat and bet that's exactly their purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outfits you see are winter wear. To see summery muslins and linen, go to their channels. Some beautiful dresses and suits.

      Delete
  9. Some of the period clothing is fascinating but some looks just downright uncomfortable. I think I'd be happier living in the 'poor person' wardrobe but I suspect the fabrics would be scratchy.
    I love the 'Odds and Ends' label on the cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odds and Ends is yhe Misfits house brand ☺️, very modestly names.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!