Friday, July 7, 2023

Paper, Misfits and a phone

 Yesterday was a good day for drying paper

So here's my yield. There's such a pleasure to lifting the pieces off the felts. It's a friendly material. 

I embedded some Japanese maple foliage from my tree, saved since last year in the freezer, and these paper pieces can be mounted on cardstock. The narrow one can be a bookmark, after I've leatherized it by painting white glue and letting it dry.




As you see, dye seeps out of the leaves on addition to the shapes they form.  Red maple is a good natural dye which I've used on fabric.  

One new idea I got from Magpie's link was to add cornstarch to the pulp, to strengthen the paper. Good idea, because newspaper is the cheapest formulation and very crumbly in use.  

This paper won't have the endless longevity of paper made from abaca or other plant fibers, because it's originally wood pulp, high acid content. But for my purposes, just a fun project. 

Misfits box arrived, and as usual I opened it outside, too heavy to lift.


You see the freezer blocks in the foil bag. I tossed them over to Gary's front path for him to collect and put in his outdoor freezer.

Then unloaded onto the counter where pasta for lunch was underway.


I used up the liquid from that recent tomato thing I made, drained from the can of whole tomatoes, plus butter, onions and tomato paste. Simple, good. 

And I have a new supply of yellow potatoes, apples and cilantro. I do love the scent of cilantro. There was a time when I really didn't, likewise privet and marigold. 

They smelled terrible to my younger nose. And now they're delicious. There's privet growing outside the library, and I no longer dash past it to escape the smell.

Have you experienced changes like that? 

Anyway shortly after I'd sorted and washed and put away the Misfits, Gary came dashing over, all excited. I can't TELL you how happy I am you tossed the freezer blocks over, practically dancing with excitement.

He explained he'd noticed them and gone out to put them away, opened his outdoor storage closet to put them in the freezer he keeps there. 

And finally found his phone, on the freezer. He'd been searching literally all morning, and had run out of places to look.

So he dashed off to catch up with his life now that he was reunited with his lifeline. Very happy guy.

Happy day everyone, try to remember where you put your phone. I wear mine in one of a collection of tiny crossbody purses, because I can't be trusted to remember anything.



20 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all for Gary's phone reuniting!
    Have to say though, it feels good to read a guy misplaced his phone.
    Corn starch tip, thank you. Also, longevity I hadn't considered. For folks saving my greeting card, the paper needs to last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, recycling won't do it for items you want to last a long time. Better get supplies of abaca from somewhere like Carriage House.

      Delete
  2. We’ve had new potatoes this week, boiled in their jackets. So tasty! Can’t wait for the produce from our own garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great thing to have space to grow your own. Nothing better than picking and eating.

      Delete
  3. Love the leaves and colours in your homemade paper. Cornstarch is such a good idea!

    I hated watermelon as a child and now, as a senior, I love it! Took a while for my tastebuds to mature, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if our body chemistry changes with age. Such a lot does.

      Delete
  4. Ha! It's funny how you inadvertently reunited Gary with his phone! The paper turned out well. And yes, there were things I didn't like to smell/taste as a young person that I don't mind now. I assume my senses have grown less acute and taken the previously objectionable "edge" off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be it. Probably young senses are finer tuned.

      Delete
  5. I think the paper is pretty. My favorites are the simple meals, you can't go wrong with what you made. I don't think my taste has changed with food, but I used to like bourbon and cognac and now not at all. Gary put his phone on ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enjoy a glass of wine but now it's years since I bothered. Never liked spirits.

      Delete
  6. Maggie informed me the other day that she doesn't like spicy food "yet". I loved that she is aware that at some point she may.
    Have you ever made paper from dryer lint? A friend of mine did it once and said it was "butt-easy". That still makes me laugh.
    Gary is such a character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie is very wise, especially for her age. I like making paper from higher up in the food chain!

      Delete
  7. The paper has turned out lovely. I wonder if laminating them, like the bookmark one for instance, would make them last longer?
    I’m glad the phone was found. They have become our lifelines. We definitely do have a love/hate relationship with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leatherizing might extend the life , but the acid content would probably ein. Better to start with good supplies, really.
      Gary was frantic about the phone. Last time he lost it I called him and he followed the ringing to under the sofa

      Delete
  8. My watch will tell me if I’ve left home without it. It can also help me to find the phone, at least if I can figure out what to press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need another device to remind you what to press..

      Delete
  9. Cilantro - seeing that led me to wondering if it could be used to make soap because that's what it tastes like to me.
    The paper experiment turned out wonderfully!
    Glad the universe aligned to enable Gary to find his phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know three people who don't like cilantro and they all say it tastes like soap! Must be a body chemistry thing. Thanks for the good word on the paper experiment. That was hilarious about Gary's phone. Great tiktok material!

      Delete
  10. When all else fails look in the fridge! Such beautiful paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a funny episode. He's so good humored, ready to admit what he did. A lot of guys would have huffed and said nothing!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!