Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Early morning herb prowl and other good things

This morning I did my early herb pinch and sniff rounds, like a flourish of trumpets to the nose.



Clockwise from five o'clock, Italian basil, skip the potatoes, Thai basil, curry leaf plant, thyme, lemon balm, sage. It's a lovely journey for the senses in rhe early morning, when I'm also providing breakfast for various biting fellers.

My little patio now has this herb garden, a flower corner, an arboretum, consisting of a giant butterfly bush (which yesterday my Indian neighbor, English her third language, referred to as a buffalo bush), the ficus and the Japanese maple, now dealing with a morninglory invasion

And a butterfly sanctuary, my rapidly growing butterfly, or buffalo bush. I'm hoping not to attract buffalo.  Amazing what you can claim, even if miniaturized.

Out front, my daisies having been completely obscured from the street by the lavender plant, I've made them my picking area. See below

Less ikebana, more flowers stuffed into water, but yes, that's a tree seedling. We get loads of them, constantly digging and cutting before they take over. Around here, it's the main reason to mow.

Yesterday's yield of great stuff, out walking, first time in days because of heat, here's another mystery plant. What the heck is this? There's a lot of it


And are these wild strawberries or a poisonous imposter? 


But look at this wonderful new fungus or lichen


on a huge hollow fallen tree trunk. I haven't been able to get an id. If you know it, looking at Chris here, or anyone with an app, I'd like to know. I'm going to follow this one's progress 

Gary stopped by last evening to add one more jam jar to my collection (!) and to say the plum jam is so freakin' good he's rationing it to make it last.

Yesterday's excitement in the mail


When the arrival of a new ironing board is a source of heart-pounding excitement and tearing open of packages, you do start to question your life choices to date.

Happy day everyone, with a couple of thoughts

Very high falutin from an ironing board aficionada, but oh well.

And a tribute to the bridge busters in the process of retrieving Crimea




24 comments:

  1. Much going on in your little space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly. Bit of a change from the acre I used to struggle with.

      Delete
  2. Love the Putin meme! Your patio has turned into a lovely place to sit and smell the flowers. My herbs are doing well, too.It makes a person feel good when someone tells them something they made is freakin' good!! Enjoy the ironing board,

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm hoping not to attract buffalo" -- hahahahaha! A good laugh to start my day, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is wild strawberry but not for human consumption and I don't think it's poisonous, just unpalatable. my sister grows herbs. anytime I need fresh herbs, I go across the street and raid her garden. she gets more sun than I do. love the flower arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next best thing to growing herbs is to have a local relative who does it!

      Delete
  5. My plant ID app says your mystery plant is mugwort, also known as wormwood or Artemisia. I'm not 100 percent sure, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking! I'll look it up and see if it's the one. It's very nice foliage despite its common name.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's the one. No flowers on this, though maybe wrong season. Turns out it can be dried and taken as tea to promote lucid dreaming! who knew?

      Delete
  6. It is a good looking ironing board.
    I'd dance if I just put mine up to iron my clothes. I read once the wrinkled in summer look makes people think you are on out of a suitcase vacation.
    Happy Ironing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironing happens when I make clothes. It'll be a little while!

      Delete
  7. I think I would get excited with a mini ironing board too.
    Your garden is looking very lush considering how hot it’s been. Well done.
    I mention to my hubby that the idiot in Russia was throwing a hissy fit because apparently damaging stuff during a war was only allowed on his side. Well done to the Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep your eyes peeled for those buffalo (water buffalo, I assume?)! Ironing board mania - yippee!! Your landscape is rich in themes, and who says an oak seedling can't be in a bouquet anyway?

    Fungus: I'm going with Dacrymyces chrysospermus, one of the orange jelly fungi, sometimes known as witches butter. Though putatively edible, probably not as freakin' good as your plum jelly.
    https://www.carolinanature.com/fungi/orangejelly.html

    Thanks to Steve for the mugwort ID. That one stumped me.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - and yes on the wild strawberries; I'd sure sample them. If I could get to them before the chipmunks...

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the fungus id. Yes, that looks like it. I took a screenshot. Great team of naturalists, thanks everyone.

      Delete
  10. "A flourish of trumpets to the nose". My day is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I checked out the irons in every place we stayed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I imagine that butterfly bush will evermore be known as a buffalo bush. Hope you enjoy your new ironing board. I went for years not having a full-sized board and instead relied on my small one as well as the cobbled-together arrangement on my computer desk. Since I inherited a full-size version I have to remember to actually haul it out and make use of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like my little contraption which fits between the freezer and the shelves, just right to be handy enough to actually use rather than think about.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!