Monday, July 24, 2023

New stash, old fungi, adventures with Climpson

 So the sheets were delivered, and are a terrific new stash. Well used and soft, great for hand stitching, in several florals. Maybe a skirt or a top will happen, too.



The purples are not to my taste, so they may be passed on. The giver commented that she was ready to throw these all away, before she saw my Freecycle request. Amazing, but anyway, we're both happy.

While I was between projects I got out the cordage basket, and did a bit. 

I think I'll bring this to the knitting circle if ever I get back. It's very portable and fits into the fiber arts idea of the group.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Gary showed up, saying I need your magic! He was going to a wedding, a friend's daughter, went to write his greeting card to take with him,  and found the envelope had already sealed itself.  Empty. Humid weather will do that. He was at a loss.

So I said, wait, let's steam it open. He'd never heard of this, and I thought I'd better explain I'd never actually done it, just read about it. Just so nobody thinks I'm in the habit of steaming open other people's letters. 

But I remembered the scene in Sayers' Strong Poison where Katherine Climpson steams open the vital document.  And did that, holding it in the steam from the kettle. Slowly. Carefully. It opened up and Gary went away happy. I was amused about practicing this sneaky skill! Not so sure when Gary said I knew you'd know what to do..

Yesterday's walk revealed this fungus

Which my photo alert tells me I photographed on this exact date two years ago! Nature is faithful. And I went to check on the progress of that marvelous orange fungus. And found

I wonder if any birds or animals eat it? I'd expected growth rather than disappearance. Back at home, the snake plant, after three years of no apparent growth, is suddenly doing this

Parent plant in the background. The pointed leaves are the new growth.

And I'm making my zinnias my cutting garden, since that encourages them to keep budding. It also gives me fresh flowers

Happy day everyone! What useful skills have you learned from detective stories? That you can admit to..




23 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I first learned about steaming an envelope open from a volume of the Bobbsey Twins! How random is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be Gary's 'search engine'. ask and get an answer. the sheets are great. nothing like soft well worn cotton sheets. I do like the purple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The search engine function is the story of my life!

      Delete
  3. and I meant to add the when you saw the orange fungus, it was probably the fruiting body and once it had done its job, withered away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so short lived compared to others I've followed. Two days start to finish. Beautiful while it lasted.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Where's the solution to the last brainteaser you posted? It's driving me crazy trying to solve it and I can't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last one was a series of words which you could change to new words by putting sp at the beginning of each. You're personifying the answer to the current one..

      Delete
    2. I must be particularly dim today. Even your clue isn't helping!

      Delete
  5. Busy as usual, Boud. Gary is a smart man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen squirrels cache amanita mushroom caps in the crotches of trees, for later consumption. But it's a good question about what might eat that lovely little orange fungus. I suspect Ellen Abbott is correct about the fruiting body withering after doing its job. And yes on Boud the Search Engine. Well-done on the envelope steaming.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to channel a private detective, even for an empty envelope! Yes, I conclude the fungus is very short lived, at least visibly.

      Delete
  7. I learned to steam letters, probably from a child's detective book, and have done it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first try. But I see I'm in good company.

      Delete
  8. Invisible ink using lemon juice!! Obviously a detective story from childhood but that genre has long been a strong favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, this was a favorite of mine, too. Also writing in milk, invisible till heat applied, like ironing.

      Delete
  9. You’re crafty … in more than one way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The steaming of the envelope is one that I cannot recall where I learned it. Love that you got this fabric. Very fun to play with. And that you found a home for the purples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a home for the purples yet. They're in a bag in the closet until I do. But the rest of it is great.

      Delete
    2. Oh my bad. I miss understood. Just got a new purple keyboard and mouse.

      Delete
  11. I've had to steam envelopes because I've forgotten to include something inside...or, had a brain fart and couldn't remember if I'd actually signed the card.
    I love 'inheriting' sheets because they're perfect for underpinnings for landscapes. My supply is dwindling so I'm going to have to scount around for some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free cycle definitely came through this time.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!