Friday, July 21, 2023

Misfits box, skirts, banks and ignoring

Yesterday's misfits arrived, bringing shrimp for various good meal ideas, and other vital foods such as beautiful eggs,  apricots and blueberries.




We're in a period of downpours alternating with hot sunshine, bringing on plants and weeds with great fervor. Also mosquitoes, after a late start, are well under way.  I haven't even switched on the outside water faucet yet.  The high humidity has rendered my hair Very Bushy, but my dry skin loves it.

And there have been interesting adventures with banks, this time Wells Fargo, the one my cleaning family use, mainly for the handy ATM. 

Last month the bank said it couldn't process the check I'd written them, no explanation, just refused it. So I sent them a replacement, deciding to watch my own bank account in case of shenanigans. I didn't cancel the first check, not wanting to incur a steep fee. 

Then the cleaning family emailed to say the bank wrote them to say it was going to process the first one after all. No explanation. I checked my own account, and, as I thought, the first check was processed after the second one, within a day. 

Does this mean their robot learned my handwriting? That they found the bundle of deposited checks they'd dropped on  the floor?  That they decided I wasn't an international bank robber?  That I wasn't one of the many African American residents of the state with my last name? 

Don't dismiss that last one. I've had a number of abusive exchanges with officials who thought they were dealing with a minority. A tiny flash of insight into the daily experience of a real minority person.

At any rate, good thing I had the funds to cover both checks. That could have been a squeaker for somebody who didn't keep a comfortable balance.

Speaking of which, I have the proud accomplishment of being one of the few individuals who forced Bank of America to rescind a fee they'd charged for falling below the minimum balance. 

I took them on and pointed out that the date stamp on their fee was later than the deposit of my social security payment, which brought the balance over the minimum. 

I explained I'd be glad to let the state banking commission know about this practice, nothing like threats to get action. Whereupon they agreed, for this one time, they emphasized (face-saving measure) they'd drop the charge. They really can't argue with a government payment, but they didn't get into that. 

So I guess it's a draw, banking vs Boud.

And I've been thinking about families lately, and finally come to realize that it was  after I quietly stopped reaching out to siblings who either ignored or dismissed my attempts, that I got wind, via other friends,  of massive fights and feuds among them.  

It dawned on me that as long as I was available to ignore, they were united in ignoring. Then when I wasn't any more, they turned their energies onto each other. Oh. It does make sense. 

Remember the old joke that parents are there for kids to ignore? It works in other contexts.

Families are a weird invention!  I like more the one I've assembled from friends. It's a luxury to be free to think aloud in here! I don't mind disagreement, but I no longer have to cope with having my lived experience denied. It's nice (!). And these are the same people who spoke warmly about me to other relatives -- word gets back. Mystery.

Meanwhile the last of the summer skirt collection is finished and being worn


Happy day, everyone, everything's funny eventually!




27 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love that skirt!
    When my mother died, my brothers and I almost totally isolated ourselves from each other. One brother did entirely. I have many theories about this, none of them pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often the mother is the connective element. I mean look at the mess up the British royal family have broken down into since they lost the governing matriarch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Bring Bank of America to its knees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't realized that you were part of a dysfunctional family. Wrong word maybe. Glad you have found a way to maintain a healthy life in any case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I decided young that I wouldn't do what had been done to me. That only perpetuates the chain, instead of trying to do better.

      Delete
  5. Your Misfits boxes are a highlight of my week. I'm going to look into them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like misfits a lot, good prices, and getting them delivered urges me into cooking!

      Delete
  6. Ooh I do like that skirt! Families are strange beings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you like green? I seem to remember. And yes, families are a weird idea.

      Delete
  7. I can’t quiet my head around the term imperfect food. People are so strange. Mother Nature doesn’t do perfection. She does individually all beautiful and unique.
    I’m glad food that was once thrown away because of how it looks gets used now.
    The skirt looks awesome. Well done on the reinventing of fashion.
    Families. They really do know how to push our buttons. Thankfully as we get older we no longer do all we can to keep the peace. We walk away and keep our own peace.
    Stay happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, likewise Misfits! They use the term ironically as a reproach to people who will only buy perfectly symmetrical fruit and veg. That forces stores to cater to them, refusing items that are just a bit different.

      Yes, on families. Sometimes you have to decide on your exit strategy.

      Delete
  8. Families - chosen families can be so much more comfortable than biological ones.

    That skirt has a lovely drape as well as color.

    And I'm with Debra She Who Seeks - Bank of America has no idea who they're taking on when they take on Boud!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this skirt a lot. I think I've finished making skirts for now! And yes, don't get grandma upset

      Delete
  9. I do like that plain green skirt. Probably my favorite of all you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adventures in banking these days… I hate how phone calls to the bank aren’t local any more but a national answering system with dozens of choices to select from. Luck may eventually get one to an answer. Hateful system!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's such a helpless feeling when you're working through a series'of phone menu questions none of which fits your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skirt turned out really well! It's a very flattering style

    And congratulations on beating the bank! A very rare occurrence nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you beat back a bully bank, that you do not let siblings define or cause drama in your life and that you made such a lovely skirt! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your skirt is very flattering., both thw colour and the fall of the fabric. You have made a most excellent choice with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one seems to be well received in here. I'm not sure what the fabric is, maybe rayon, and it does drape well.

      Delete
  15. Your skirt turned out wonderfully and looks very comfortable too.
    Banks and credit card companies are a force to deal with so good on you for beating them into submission. It astounds me at just how many people never bother to check their bank or credit card transactions, blindly believing that nothing could go wrong. I come from a banking background and I don't trust them an inch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me neither. They're more like salespeople now, trying to sell bank accounts and credit cards when I'm trying to get a transaction completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in the bank during the transition between giving the customer what they wanted and needed and having to sell them whatever the 'flavour of the month' was. My boss was not happy with me when I flatly refused to take the phone book pages he doled out with the expectation that the staff would call all the numbers (at home on their own time) and sell credit cards. Wasn't going to happen on my watch.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!