Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A weaving prodigy, a volunteer and dreams of spinning

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea presented a prodigy! Astrid Tauber, brilliant weaver and dress designer, who looked to be in her twenties, great poise, but I kept having trouble understanding her speech patterns. I thought she's talking like a teenager. 

Turns out she's thirteen! Homeschooler, learned to crochet then weave when in fact too young for the classes, but was allowed to continue, I'm guessing when they saw her work. 

She's now doing online coursework in fashion design, but hand weaving is her driving force, including shoes,  she loves handwoven shoes. I loved her!

I really urge you to check her website for videos of her cheerfully weaving. She's lovely, and it sounds as if her brother is equally talented but with other forms such as wood.

Anyway, her weaving and design speak for themselves even if I can't follow teenspeak!













And last evening, longing to spin after seeing the latest newsletter from Sarah Swett, but worried about the pain that would ensue, I did a bit of research into e-spinners. Electronic, compact little things. Saving a lot of the movements that cause me trouble.

After I recovered from learning the $$$ cost, I watched a few enthusiastic videos, and realized nah, my objection to machines, that people end up in service to them, applies. Also they're largely plastic. And the servicing, and workarounds, I think I'd be in a different sort of pain! 

So I knitted a few rows of the current sock and felt much more cheerful. It really is a hardwired need, to handle fiber and make things.

And, since I don't have a really lightweight bathrobe, this hot summer indicating I'd better do something about that, I watched a hilarious video about simple tunic making by a cosplay historic designer, very skilled but really easy going in approach. 



This is ASH LG,  a very knowledgeable designer,  history, sewing, the lot, but not solemn about it.

I got some great tips which I'll put into action, after I've laundered the plain muslin I plan to use. For once I'm preshrinking. 

See the influence of the ironing board already? It's a miracle.  The muslin is some of that fabric I used to line the bedroom curtains. I can stamp it, or dye, or something, depending on what I'm up for at the time. It's a multi purpose kind of natural cotton muslin.

And a volunteer balsam flower suddenly showed up

It's a descendant of the seeds I collected on the sidewalk down the street a few years ago and gave to Gary because I had no space. His grow fine, and seem to gave decided to move here, too.  The original bed of balsam was torn out by a subsequent owner, so we conserved it.

And here's more info on that great orange fungus, thanks to Chris

Food happened yesterday, too, a new batch of yogurt, and salmon and parsley fritters

Happy prodigious day everyone,  enjoy whatever crops up.




29 comments:

  1. I can see joy flowing off the young woman. 13! She is a prodigy. I'll be looking forward to what you do with the muslin. I think I'll make fritters with zucchini and salmon, thanks for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also wondering what I'll do with the muslin

      Delete
  2. she's 13! what a talent, hand dying her cloth. prodigy is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one to watch, for her future projects.

      Delete
  3. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a prodigy. ⭐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's only concerned about her work, happily, not about fame.

      Delete
  4. Yes, wearing makeup makes Astrid look much older than 13. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the lightweight summer bathrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might end up being a popover. We'll see.

      Delete
  5. Astrid is amazing! Very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tunic! A simple pattern is always a joy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a no-pattern, just measure and cut, tunic. Historically authentic since paper patterns didn't exist back when.

      Delete
  7. I thought about a knitting machine and an embroidery machine at different times. And both times I decided against them. Both for the price but also I think it goes against want I actually want. And that’s to have hand made things that I’ve spent time making with love.
    Or does that sound corny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it sounds familiar to me. I like being close to the materials, using skill instead of engineering.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Regardless of how young she is, her work is very high level.

      Delete
  9. F loves the idea of your plain cotton tunic which you are going to 'art' on afterwards. Can't wait to see where your imagination goes with that one. Xx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tip to Astrid. She is a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to Astrid's website - 13, wow!!!. Tonight I watched the tunic making video, which was delightful. Looking forward to your muslin creation, as it develops in your mind.

    Thanks for posting about yogurt-making; I need to do another batch tomorrow.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash is lovely. Funny, very skilled but remembering beginner needs.

      Delete
  12. Very interesting about Astrid Tauber. I had to work up my nerve before I used my handwoven fabric to sew something! I'm guessing she will make a huge impact in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's fearless about cutting into her hand woven for dress pieces, even cutting only the specific areas she wants, making a lot of waste. But she uses scraps for purses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Age is no barrier to skill and talent . One can display, practice and perfect one's talents freely from childhood on, and delight us with the results, like in the case of young Astrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. In her case, she's fortunate to have a mother who kept her out of regular school where she'd have been a fish out of water. So her great talent and quirky personality get to flourish.

      Delete
  15. It's nice to be home and catch up on blogs. It's funny how often I thought of my blog friends and wondered where their stories were taking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're real friends, even though electronic!

      Delete
  16. 13 - that's amazing! She has a wonderful career ahead of her. Homeschooling certainly was the best for her because it's allowed her to flourish. I doubt there are too many adults who could accomplish what she already has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gather that her brother is equally talented, with tools and technology. Good thing their parents were in a position to homeschool, ot rather unschool, because she takes coursework all over suitable to her needs, not the needs of a school fitting kids together mainly by age.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!