Sunday, July 9, 2023

Storms and pups and pockets

 Last evening Gary had to be out without Billy the Pup, normally his constant companion, and asked me if I'd go over when it got dark make sure Billy was in and close the patio door, left open a  bit for her to come and go. When it starts getting dark, crickets come in. 

I'm sure he knows I'd do what I did, go over earlier, play with her and later close the door and leave her safely indoors. We'd had storms and I wanted to see she was okay.

Playing with her involves being climbed on, scrabbled at, yanked about and licked, all at the speed of light. I held her firmly to massage her ears, and try to get her to slow down enough to be petted.

I think she really needs a companion puppy, but I don't think I'll mention it to Gary. I don't think he's up for another handful. She seems to be trying to get humans to be honorary pups. 

Today it was finally cool enough to drive to the next town to the  library and return the  Nigel Slater, which I really enjoyed and got good ideas from.  

I tend to lose my driving nerve a bit when I haven't driven for a couple of days, so I had to force the issue to do it this morning, very wobbly. Home again and I was, as  always, glad I'd done it.  I am a good driver, just a reluctant one. It's better for the car and me to get out regularly though.

Anyway here's today's weaving progress, almost at the end of this panel, two more to go.

And a baby cucumber, from my neighbor, grated and mixed with malt vinegar as a salad.

I don't like cucumbers much but fresh picked and in best vinegar, okay.

I hope my thanks were courteous but not effusive enough to encourage her to offer ten more 

Then here's today's Pocket Progress


Cut out, assembled, now pinned in place ready to make this skirt a lot more useful.

And though I'm usually winnowing, here's a buy that just arrived. 

I have finally, after decades of using folded blankets, invested in a real, 100% New Zealand wool ironing blanket. I pressed the new pockets, and what an improvement on improvising. 

The old blankets can be dog rescue blankets, if I can get a YouTube taker.

 Happy day everyone, sometimes you need the real thing, not a substitute. This idea can work in a number of contexts, left to your imagination..

And I expect you know the puzzle answer was

SP!

At the beginning of each word.




24 comments:

  1. I’ve been making a cucumber salad which involves vinegar. I can eat it that way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trick is fresh picked. It's a bit metallic after a day or two.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm starting to feel more experienced with it.

      Delete
  3. Chihuahuas make good companion dogs. Just sayin'

    Lovely fabric print, would make a nice sundress.

    Cucumber slices in vinegar with lots of black pepper, I stared at them wondering why my father liked them so much. Now I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a kid I didn't like cucumbers, including cucumber sandwiches. Everyone else seemed fine with them. Chihuahuas? Hm.

      Delete
  4. We love cucumbers sliced very thinly with maybe onions and balsamic vinegar. Sometimes a splash of Tamari.
    I swear to you- I did not know that ironing mats existed! And in a bit of serendipity, I just did some ironing in preparation for our upcoming trip.
    Puppies can definitely be extremely energetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lost me at balsamic vinegar. I really can't with it.

      Delete
  5. Getting old is my excuse! Somehow I missed a post of yours. Wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned the puzzle answer. "Puzzle? What puzzle?" So i got a treat and had TWO of your posts today. I don't like cucumber! A few years ago my knitting group had a "tea party" for Valentine's Day. I discovered that I was totally ignorant when it came to that whole subject. It seems to have been assumed that sandwiches were necessary, and cucumbers were the favored choice. I was the only one of 15 who would not eat cucumbers! Now I know somebody else who would've been in my corner. 😁. Good job on the pockets. Really like that yellow skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classic afternoon tea involves a lot of home baking, cucumber sandwiches and egg sandwiches, tiny, no crusts, fancy cakes, maybe a small savory, definitely bread and butter and homemade jam. Tea made with loose leaves.choice of lemon or cream if Indian tea. It's a whole thing!
      Sorry you got the answer before the puzzle!

      Delete
  6. I do like the next skirt with pockets. Quite youthful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm for once going to be ready for hot weather.

      Delete
  7. I’m the same with driving. It was very unnerving the first time I drove when I got back from this trip.
    I love cucumbers fresh is the best. Use it in yogurt with some garlic and make a Greek dip leqve the the seeds. Grate and drain the cucumbers
    It’s good fun playing with a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't do yogurt with cucumber. I've been offered it by Indian friends with hot curries. Tried it, but no. About puppies -- good to visit and not be in charge of training!

      Delete
  8. My humans eat cucumber like aan apple - carry it around taking bites out of it and chewing them up. I've heard a scurrilous rumour that cats are scared of cucumbers - what a load of olf tosh. Some humans will believe anything even if it couldn3be further from the truth. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats and cucumbers? Now there's a thought!

      Delete
  9. I have four of the NZ pads. One of the best inventions ever. I'm not sure how I made it as a seamstress back in the day when I didn't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased with mine. You can also use it to block small knitted items.

      Delete
  10. Puppies have amazing, relentless energy. Two would be a lot to handle! But maybe Billy could occasionally go to Doggie Day Care or have a walker in order to socialize with other dogs? Olga has a walker so she goes out with a group every day.

    Even when we're winnowing we need to occasionally buy something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have group dog walkers, just individual clients. Not the city! I don't know if he'd go for daycare, though when he visits his daughter and her three dogs, Billy does fine, nagging the life out of the Golden. Might be a thought.

      Delete
  11. I am still okay away from city traffic. I think I would also be ok in the city if I knew my local neighbourhood well. But I would still be leery outside of that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to drive fearlessly everywhere, across several States, alone, to meetings or visits. This is the new post pandemic me, I think.

      Delete
  12. Puppy love has to be the best and good for you for being a willing participant.
    Very curious about the ironing mat and what you think of it. I have a folded towel beneath a quilted mat that is supposed to be for ironing that fits on the swing-out part of my computer desk. Works fine for most things. I also have a regular ironing board which I rarely remember to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. Such an improvement over a folded old blanket.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!