Saturday, July 15, 2023

Billy the Pup, Korean fashion history, twigs

 Yesterday I realized I'd missed a livestream of a presentation on Korean fashion history, around a new book, but I found it on YouTube and here's a few shots in case you'd like to check it out. 

Very learned presenters, and appropriation was an issue they tackled, wearing another culture's iconic dress, here the hanbok. 

They agreed that if proper credit is given to me origin, and you don't make commercial use of appropriated looks or ideas, it's more or less acceptable.













 In other questions, is this giant trying again to take over, despite repeated removals, pigweed, aka amaranth?


And yesterday was Billy the Pup's Spay Day. She came through pretty well, but it was touch and go with Gary. He came over last evening, she was shivering what to do?

I went over and sat with them, stroking Billy's ears till she fell asleep after happily  taking a few drops of water off my fingers.  She was shivering on the inhale, not the exhale, pretty sure she was doing fine. 

She was alert ish   and clearly knew me, so I stayed a while and chatted about all kinds of unrelated things, to talk Gary off the ledge. He planned to sleep downstairs with her.

This morning I called, quiet night, she's getting on okay, he sounds done for.  He loves his dogs so. I've heard him singing made up songs to Billy when he doesn't know anyone's around! Lovely guy.

Today I'm wearing my Hamptons Skirt, east coast people will know the snooty reference! So named for the ocean colors and rock references. 

I finished it last night and made an interesting discovery. As  you know I use either hand for a lot of things. But I'd never tried stitching with my left hand. But, the appliques being long, reaching the end of a side meant turning the whole thing around and getting all reorganized to stitch back up the other side.

So I tried just switching hands to stitch back, not moving the work, and found it worked just fine. Another late in life discovery,  along with whistling.

And this morning on my early patio prowl, I found small dead twigs inside the Japanese maple, and wondered if I could make something with them. 

While I'm wondering, I put them with the current little flower arrangement

Happy day everyone, you never know what you're going to discover next.




.

21 comments:

  1. Prayers for Billy's good healing
    The twigs look lovely. I have no idea what that giant plant is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's going to be fine. Gary, we'll see..

      Delete
  2. awww - poor Billy! Poor Gary too. She was probably in a bit of shock, just like humans when they've had surgery.
    Twigs - could they be tied together to make a paintbrush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea about the twigs, thank you.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Billy will be fine but I'm sending good vibes anyway. :)

    I don't think that plant is amaranth. At least, not the amaranth I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Dave survived Olga's spay, evidently. Thanks for the input on the mystery plant. It grows so fast that I have to keep on digging and cutting. The roots are next door, so the fence is stopping me from getting it out completely.

      Delete
  4. I hope Billy recovers soon from her spaying! Gary too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so ingenious and so kind. And Gary sounds lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be invited into people's lives when they need a bit of encouragement.

      Delete
  6. you've got a little ikebana thing going on there with your flower arrangement. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a tiny simple effect. All homegrown here, too

      Delete
  7. Love twigs. They make such amazing natural sculptures Adds another dimension to flower bouquets
    I think it’s sweet gary makes up songs to sing to his fur buddies
    I was a mess as well when trixie had her spay op.
    Sending hugs to both of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when it's spaying or neutering, we feel it quite personally.

      Delete
  8. It was great that you could help Gary as you did. He knew who to go to for help! Glad he and the dog are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he just needed company with someone who'd had dogs and wouldn't try to jolly him out of worrying.

      Delete
  9. The twigs belong in the flower arrangement--until you find another use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Billy should have been given adequate pain relief on discharge - and Gary should have been given Valium! Glad both are recovering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was. Gary could have used a little help, too!

      Delete
  11. You are a woman of so many talents from being able to sew with either hand to calming a pup and her human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just about being there, really. About the sewing, I'm very tickled about that.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!