Thursday, July 6, 2023

Paper, yogurt, buds and self improvement

 Here's the paper recycling, where it's up to







Pulp to felts to drying, with inclusions of Japanese maple leaves. The leaves also make red dye. 

The last picture shows the output, tiny batch this time, still drying. Watch this space again for the great removal from the felts (those are the pieces of interfacing they're resting on). That was a nice little interlude.

While I was out I noticed flowers and buds. Gary's butterfly bush soaring above the trees, my little offshoot from it now budding, ready to host butterflies and moths, and my zinnias starting to bud, the morning glory climbing everywhere now




Bit too hot for me but they're all very happy.

Meanwhile I finally got a batch of yogurt done. 



It's simple but I tend to put it off, like bread making. I did a bit of figuring and find that from an approx 3 cup container, I end with 18 cups of yogurt. That's the original, minus a couple of tablespoons for starter, then three more batches of five cups, at which point it loses its strength. Not a bad return.

And I was about to embark on an interesting book about envy and how to manage it. The I decided once again, that self improvement is the enemy of self acceptance, and it's time I did that instead. 

So I'm good enough as I am, crabby old lady.  Also self improvement is a source of income, rather than a selfless offering by writers. So fine, good luck to them, they'll never lack an audience, but I think I'll be sewing and paper making and other things instead.

Happy day everyone, you're fine, I'm fine, we're all fine, everything's fine!


 




19 comments:

  1. Not so much the 'crabby old' lady if the evidence of the liking and respect of your neighbours is anything to go by. 'Well busy' lady as always. The paper making looks interesting - once again we will have to back-track through the reading we have missed. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've blogged at length about real papermaking, if you're in the mood for a search. I think I have nice neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your paper making, looks good.
    Humidity is too high for me to try it yet as it takes too long for even clothes to dry.

    Homemade yogurt, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried paper making once - long time ago - a messy business it turned out to be - I didn't bother again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sll about water! I love the process.

      Delete
  5. I agree, neighbor's aren't nice if you aren't as well. Your neighbors like you. Now, I'm a crabby old lady. I won't envy you if you don't envy me!! Your paper making amazes me. so many things I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A non envy pact! Done.
      I do love a bit of paper making in hot weather. Chucking water about outside, just the ticket.

      Delete
  6. I am trapped between knowing there is not going to be a whole lot of self-improvement going on for me anytime soon while at the same time, not really accepting myself as I am. Perhaps I should write a book about this dilemma?
    Ah- your neighbors are beautiful! And so are your about-to-bloom plants.
    And look at that yogurt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people would read that book.

      Delete
  7. Everything is so green and pretty. Right now everything here is green but oh so wet!
    Yes acceptance is the key to happiness. I’m all for trying to be a better version of myself and to do better everyday But honestly at my age I figure this is about as good as I get lol
    Well maybe not. But for today I’m fine, your fine we are all fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we're about as evolved as we're going to get!

      Delete
  8. I made yogurt years ago. The yield is great and it is good. A great way to save money these days. Hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll get back into making it. I love homemade yogurt.

      Delete
  9. I think your papermaking experiments are fascinating. I remember doing a workshop on it eons ago. I think we embedded strands of roving in it. I'm going to have to see if I can find my old notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great summer project, because you needn't be concerned about mopping up all the water, if you're outside.

      Delete
  10. I also don’t feel the need to improve myself. 😀 If I did find the need, I sure would be unlikely to find the wherewithal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Self improvement books just end up making me depressed so I avoid them like the plague. No matter what, there's always someone out there with a superiority complex coupled with a herd mentality.
    The paper experiment looks like it's turning out although I suspect it's a rather messy process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to think papermaking is messy. I wonder why? It's a lot of clean water, best done outside. Less messy than watercolor painting or cooking or gardening. Maybe it's the liquid idea, to someone who does dry crafts?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!