Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Triangles, couples and jam

 This morning's patio prowl before it gets too hot shows new buds happy with the heat and intermittent downpours


The Thai basil is flowering happily and new seedlings are coming in


No buds on the morning glory but it's swamped the shepherd's crook


tiny buds starting on the alyssum


And the first zinnia flower wheeee! These seed packets are more than paying their rent


 And yesterday I got a bag of prepped, pitted plums from the freezer to make an exclusive batch of jam


Which came out a lot better than the accidental apricot crumble stuff, so evidently I can still make jam

About the current skirt. Here's the inside showing the rectangle of fabric pinned in place


Then I laid dowels along the stitching line to show how I'm getting triangles off the pieces of batik



And here are the triangles ready to applique. I may take a strip off the biggest, for a bit of trim for the pocket edge. Today's about direct applique.

You'll notice I did this the easy way. A stitcher who's part engineer or who works for a dress pattern company would probably have painstakingly measured two triangles to fit the spaces, using protractors, slide rules and a piece of string tied to a pencil to determine the exact angles and slopes. So much easier to do it  this way, 

The inside finishing involves turning under and stitching the raw edges of the triangles. 

A couple of bloggers have posted early stories of their relationships very engrossing reading, and I have one, not so old, that became a family joke.

For many years  Handsome Partner and I were a married couple who couldn't in the end continue, divorced fairly amicably, continued as friends, more years, gradually realizing we were bonded for life but couldn't live together. 

Then came 9.11 and we realized it was ridiculous to be apart, who knew what could happen, so we coupled up again, with the proviso that we keep our own homes, share both.
We both owned the townhouse, bought together earlier, and I'd bought the condo personally.

Then his health deteriorated dramatically and we were forced into my moving into the townhouse where he had lived throughout the separation. Neither of us wanted this  but he simply couldn't manage alone with just shopping help from loyal and tactful handsome son.  He navigated his parents' unconventional relationship heroically, not taking sides, just being the grownup, and deserves tons of credit.

Anyway, neighbors noticed I seem to have moved in, and one, clearly out of the loop, fell in with me one day while I was walking KC the Dalmatian. How nice of you to take on the dog as well as the other tasks, she said. A was so smart to get this arrangement. I wish I could persuade my dad to do it, too.

I was sort of listening and wondering what we were talking about. Set up a relationship for her elderly frail father, what? Then she went on, would you mind telling me what agency sent you? I'd refer dad, too. Live-in is so good.

I explained that we were a couple, had been for many years, Handsome Son, whom she knew, was our son.  Her face was a picture. She recovered and we've had a lot of nice chats in the years since.  To be fair, she'd seized the wrong end of the stick because she was wanting to set up something for her dad, can't fault that. She'd assumed I was a live in paid  companion.

Evidently It had not crossed her ageist little mind that old frail men can have a relationship. Nor that older women can, too. Without consulting the neighbors! 

Hp was creased laughing when I told him and if we argued I'd threaten to get a new assignment from my agency if he didn't shape up. And he'd better upgrade my pay too, while we were at it!

Happy day, everyone, no need to get the neighbors to consent to your life! That's not what consensual means, hehehe.



23 comments:

  1. I think when bloggers tell us stories like this, it endears them more to us. Ellen has told of many episodes of her life, as has Mary. I've "known" Ellen longer. So funny that the neighbor jumped to the conclusion---a sensible one!---that you were live-in help. Knowing about other lives very much enriches my own. Thank you, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Both Mary and Ellen are recent readers here, and it's great.

      Delete
  2. Good story! Yes, a conventional living arrangement is not for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been loudly criticized for it by women who had terrible divorces and can't believe you can divorce without hate. Depends on the people.

      Delete
  3. engineers, pattern makers get all up in their precision when there is usually a quick simple work around like you just showed us with your skirt.

    having separate households can be a good thing as your experience shows when you can't live with him or without him. my husband and I have spent our lives together 24/7 because we worked together running our studio. no one ever left in the morning to go to work. and so now retired, kids grown, grandkids grown we basically have split the house...his side and my side, coming together for meals and a couple of hours in the evening before bed when we either listen to music or watch TV or read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great arrangement. But I don't think I could have hacked the 24/7 years. The caregiving of our last years practically did me in, partly exhaustion and responsibilities, but also being with one person all.the.time

      Delete
  4. Mark worked so much it was like I lived alone much of the time. Now he's home but still busy. We have our own spaces, which I feel is important. You and HP came to a logical conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder how many partnerships would be happier with more space to be alone in.

      Delete
  5. As ever your life stories are an artwork in themselves. I just paused at the jam and contemplated the joy that is plum jam. Xxx F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This jam is so good, one of the best I've made. Tomorrow I'll say more.

      Delete
  6. I cannot understand couples that need to be in close proximity all the time. People comment on how large our house is but we each need our space. The thought of not being able to go and close a door and be on my own is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find agreement around here. Also separate vacations. Why not, if they have so different interests?

      Delete
  7. What a fascinating story and arrangement. I tink one of my blogger friends has a similar arrangement. I can also see it being a possibility for older people who get together after a lifetime of living with someone else, for we all get accustomed to different ways of getting on in this life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a possibility for a man who doesn't expect the woman to see to everything. He needs to be self starting, then it will work. When I was single after the divorce I met and dropped quite a few older men clearly looking for a caregiver. Wished them good luck, though.

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking very productive.
    And the skirt is coming along nicely.
    As for neighbours, well the less said about that. The better
    People are so nosey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making jam is fun... I like it... and even more I like making clothes :-))) I'm also very generous with scissors :-)))
    Beautiful skirt, wonderfully spiced up with the nice batik part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the art aspect of this one appeals to you. You're fearless at making clothes.

      Delete
  10. Oh my god, Liz! I love this! I knew some of it but not all. Ageism is rampant among the younger, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, st least she didn't try to poach me away to her father!

      Delete
  11. I think more and more people are living in those sorts of arrangements these days (not necessarily being 'ex's'). I read not too long ago about a group of seniors who bought a house together and they all live together,sharing the responsibilities which is to my mind a far better situation than living alone and being rent-poor or being forced into assisted living long before the need is there. I often wonder what will happen to me if Resident Chef is gone. I know I wouldn't be able to afford to continue to live here on my own. Our town has a college and students are looking for living arrangements so I might have to take one in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might need to consider arrangements, yes, unless there's somewhere you could afford solo. It's wise to be thinking now. I wonder if nearer one of your sons has crossed your mind?

      Delete
    2. Being near to our sons isn't really an option. It's not fair to put that sort of onus on them when they have enough to deal with. B'sides my friends are all here.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!