Monday, January 31, 2022

Misfits lasagna and curry plant

The lasagna came to be. The Misfits ricotta and other cheese, mezzaluna? mezzanine? mozzarella, that's the one, were very good, and now mostly used up. I also used a fancy Misfits egg in the ricotta mixture.

I did boil the pasta briefly, just a couple of minutes for home made, and it held up just fine to handling, also to being frozen then thawed then boiled. 

So here's the earliest stage


The next processes were too involved to stop and wave a camera about, but there were several. 


Meat sauce cooking for ages then a bit on the bottom of the dish so the pasta wouldn't stick, I suppose. They always tell you to do that. Pasta on the right, water briefly went off the boil after it was put in.

The number of tools this dish needs is amazing. 


But it came out nicely. 25 minutes foil hat on, 25 minutes hatless. I baked it on a sheet pan just in case it bubbled over. It bubbled over inside the dish instead, between the foil and the glass, dang it. 

I did get the cook's first slice privilege, though.


With a bit of green salad and mezzaluna, why not. And it was good.

I did manage to maneuver the lasagna in foil out of the dish to freeze it, using both big spatulas and some basic language.  

And Handsome Son's next dinner is all set, easy. Probably mid February.  Valentine's, president's Day,  59th wedding anniversary, thereabouts. I count them anyway, though the other half of the act has been with the choir celestial for many years now. 

And here it is, last day of January and I still haven't done a jigsaw puzzle. They might end up with the gallon of water and the first aid box as part of the survival kit. There seem to have been so many interesting things to do first.

Speaking of which, here's the curry plant with new growth.


I've been picking the lower leaves for cooking all winter, so it doesn't seem to mind. It's a wonderful flavor, use wherever you'd use bay leaves, but better. 

Indian cooks use it a lot because it really punches up vegetables, and my Indian friends are mostly vegetarian. This came from next door, dear Aditha, great gardener.





11 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that curry comes from plant leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't. No connection between the dish and the name of this plant. It's not hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful dish! And I'll bet it was so good. I never remember to buy ricotta. Hmmm...
    I'm about to make a meat sauce for plain old spaghetti and...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lasagna is one of my favorite meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must look up curry plant. Not the first time someone commented on it. One person flatly refused to accept any leaves for her cooking, saying, I hate curry!! no amount of explanation worked, oh well.
    It is very appetizing, yes. Thinking of adding in ricotta to your sauce, Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ". . . a couple of big spatulas and some basic language." That basic language works well and gets a lot of use in this household! We have a curry leaf plant out in a raised bed, but it doesn't look as nice as yours. I should probably make sure it gets watered regularly instead of relying only on rainfall! Enjoy that gorgeous lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The curry plant is a great idea. You have great neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does look good as do all your dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellen, full disclosure: I cook dishes also that taste really good and are not at all photogenic, so you see the pretty ones. Like life..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!