Saturday, January 29, 2022

Snow day and stitching

The snow is still falling, no paths dug yet, only one pass of the plow.













This is the town adjoining mine, same conditions apply.

Home is warm and snowbound, and the birds are out in force at the feeder. Yesterday there were male and female red bellied woodpeckers, always separately, a fierce little goldfinch fighting off juncoes twice his size, Carolina wrens, bluejays and various little brown birds.














And the endlessly talented embroiderer who writes the Fils et Aiguilles blog just showed her blackwork, here stitched in red thread. Go check her blog. She doesn't post often but it's worth waiting for.

This is really virtuoso stitching, both sides look the same.













It was introduced to England from Spain by Katherine of Aragon. The reason it's two sided is that it was used on collars and cuffs, both sides showing. I've done this kind of work and it's not easy! Usually in Elizabethan times it was in black thread, like this










You'll see motifs like this in portraits of the period. 

Meanwhile it's about keeping warm here. I still haven't started a jigsaw puzzle. January seems to have gone by so fast, hardly had time. 

14 comments:

  1. If I start a jigsaw puzzle I won't get anything else done til it's finished. A nice sunny day here, cold but no snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are an hour into the high winds and horizontal snow, good day to curl up with a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks right chilly at your house. It's cold here today but thank the gods no snow, sleet, or rain. I've seen that type of embroidery and it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine the difficulty of doing two-sided embroidery! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now I am in despair over my needlework. All of it whether crocheting, knitting, sewing, or embroidery. I wonder why I bother but I love yarns and threads and fabric. Maybe this is why I like mending- I can definitely repair and no one really cares how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect you're much better at all of it than you think. That love of the materials definitely has an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boggles the mind. two sides embroidered the same. I love the patterns.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snow sure looks beautiful through your windows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was just the first half.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was raised on redwork; my mother made quilts for all the babies she knew of redwork blocks she had embroidered. She passed the talent on to my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red work is a different embroidery, wonderful on quilts. There's a whole tradition of it, entire exhibits of red work quilts. Whoever got those quilts from your mom got treasures.

    Blackwork in any color is worked on even weave cloth, Aida cloth, can't be used in any application where there will be handling and friction, too delicate. It's strictly decorative. Also it's intended to be seen from both sides, as in collars and cuffs.

    It's just a different thing, referred to as blackwork even when it's worked in other colors, oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went back and edited to make it clearer. I had missed out a phrase and it wasn't clear. Better now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The view out your windows has changed considerably between yesterday and today. We in droughty Idaho are envious. For you: hygge-time! Glad your larder is restocked.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  14. The timing was very good there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!