Saturday, January 15, 2022

Polar vortex, Eastern style, and response

 So here's today around here




Won't last long. Back up to the 30s tomorrow.

Meanwhile,  the chowder is s great response





Really good, if I say it myself. Cod, shrimp and clam. Mostly Misfits, except the small can of clams I picked up on the shopping trip.  Onions, garlic, yellow potato, celery, tomatoes, can of clams plus liquid, fish in for last few minutes. When the shrimp went pink, I declared it done.

This is a pretty easy recipe. When the fish is as good as this, you can't miss. Enough for seven meals for one. Or two for handsome Son!

And my town is opening up a free Covid testing site at a local church next week, run by the hospital down the street.  I think I'll go and get tested just in case.  

The police department sent out emails and tweeted the explanatory vdocument, complete with links which probably weren't ready, because either nothing happens or you get a page of raw code. They do say you can walk in, though, bringing the dox. The link to the patient portal seems to work though, for getting results.

So I'll give them a few days to get it together, then I'll go along. Only five minutes away. 

Meanwhile I canceled my very expensive online order for rapid at home tests. I don't need instant results, not planning parties nor travel, and I do like lab tested results.

I'm feeling fine, but I think it's a good thing to be sure in case quarantine is called for. You just don't know.

Meanwhile the downstairs fabric and stitching Winnowing is done, resulting in a little bag of truly useless tiny fabric scraps, 



quite a few items upstairs with their friends, 



and a drawer of silk and cotton paper pieced shapes. Nothing to donate yet, but I think that will happen upstairs.

18 comments:

  1. Hope all goes smoothly at the testing place
    Prayers you test negative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chowder looks wonderful. Can’t beat cod says this loyal Newfoundlander!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame you aren't here: I noticed today a hospital support craft group appelaing for any tiny bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to check with Husband. '11 degrees Frankenstein is cold, isn't it? No, frankincense. No wait, I'll get there.'
    Anyway he agreed whatever it was it was cold. Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, I grew up on Atlantic cod fished from the other side of the Atlantic. It's the taste of home.

    Liz, yes, however you spell it ( in fact it's Fledermaus), it's cold. The sunshine is lovely though.

    I have never succeeded in offloading those tiny bits. They don't make good stuffing, and they're really too small to work with. Sigh.

    SP, if I test positive, feeling well, my life won't be much different! Alone anyway, contacts by text and email and website. Anyway I'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The town has free testing here off and on. Probably not as cold here as there but cold enough! Soup sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read starting Wednesday the government will send out free home tests though I don't remember if you have to apply for them or they will just send them. Covid has finally made it to my family here, grandson and one granddaughter. They're all getting tested today.

    Some cold weather blew in here last night, lows in the 30s high in the 40s today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your crowder looks warming and delicious. Good luck with your covid test.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do a red chowder! We tend to think of chowder as milk-based. But...both are delicious as I am sure yours is.
    I'm thinking I might have to go back and get retested, this time with the kind that does not give instant results. I'm still having symptoms. I sure hope I don't have it. The little boys are here today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine's a Manhattan clam chowder. The white kind is New England. And never the twain shall meet! There's much debate about which is right.

    I don't have any symptoms, just wondering about precautions. I did get an updated doc with links that worked, to register. Alas the form is flawed. After filling out screen after screen, their system deleted all my info. Three times. I'll do a walk-in instead. They really need a teen to fix their site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like some good fish chowder. I may rethink my food procurement again However, spring is a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your chowder looks tasty! We don't get cod here, except frozen. Some friends who are commercial deep sea fishermen have promised to bring us deep sea snapper again. Last time they gave us 3 different kinds, all of which were delicious and much nicer than the snapper caught in shallower waters. Fish chowder may be be in our future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think snapper would be fine as a chowder. Ate you in the Manhattan or the New England chowder camp??

    ReplyDelete
  14. The chowder looks lovely and perfect at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. New England chowder in this camp. I love the red fish soup, but it ain't chowder!

    Who knows, anymore, if they have Covid. I had the sniffles for a couple of days last week, canceled all engagements (a couple of outdoor walks), and nary a test to be found amidst our surge. Am proceeding on the assumption that it was a tiny head cold (not that my head is tiny). Glad NJ continues to be ahead of the curve in so many ways!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew there'd be a dissenter on the chowder question!!

    I have no symptoms and now I'm rethinking getting the test. It would be putting myself into the company of other people getting tests because they do have Covid symptoms. Seems less wise than I thought at first.

    And it's still possible to get other viruses even now.

    I'm certainly glad to be where I am just now. Despite all our care though we're having a surge. Ih well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!