Sunday, January 9, 2022

Wabi sabi, what's revealed by the holes

Serendipity rules. Last evening I was reading, and noticed for the umpteenth time the holes and busted sleeve seams on my jacket. 

It's cashmere, used to be a v-neck sweater till I cut down the front to make it a jacket and get a lot more use from it. And I scored it about fifteen years ago at the thriftie.

So I thought, well I fancy a couple of minutes stitching, why not do an embroidered wabi-sabi repair? Where the idea is a lovely obvious repair celebrating the passage of time and wear on this favorite piece. Two minutes to find a big needle and a bit of crewel yarn.




A bit hinky but best I could do last night. Now it's something I like to put on instead of sighing about the holey bits.

And this morning I noticed another nice cashmere cardi in need of tlc.


A glance at the label tells you it's not in my retail range. A thriftie find, as all my cashmere is. So that will happen today. 

And here's where the serendipitous part comes in. I discovered this online magazine of thoughtful essays, this morning, the first being a long and enlightening musing on the holes in life and what they reveal.

From the pinpricks in the paper drawing used in Renaissance and medieval frescoes, to transfer the image to the wall surface, a technique still used in tailoring to this day, to the deliberate omission of whole groups of people from the dominant arc of history - white, straight, male.  Holes are significant and meaningful. And they lead you to find what's missing and honor it.

It's all noted in a great narrative flow well worth your reading. Free subscription. I've signed up. So much to digest here.

And when people ask why you decided to embroider that odd place on your sleeve, you explain: it's where the holes were!

13 comments:

  1. You never fail to amaze, me. So true about the holes in life…often the knitted ones are easier to repair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wabi-sabi! You knew I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, yes, the physical ones can be seen easily and fixed. The others take a lot more work. It's good to remember when you're doing a bit of wabi-sabi: what else am I repairing by doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling this would speak to your inner repair goddess, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the concept of "wabi sabi repairs!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your stitchwork! Bits of stitching like that always bring me a smile. Some of those holes in life are a bit more difficult to handle although a bit of meditation while stitching could certainly help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing this almost make me wish I had a piece of clothing sporting a hole so I could play with repairing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done this, except for the name. On my kid's clothing, too. I believe my daughter did some too. Wonder if she knew a name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your wabi sabi stitched repair. It's very pretty. Can't wait to see the second one. Said as I look about for something I can repair...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that is a new term to me, and my ipad search ins’t helping right now. But I am reminded of my old tattered shirt (like t-shirt but with long sleeves) that I now use for a pyjama top. I Ike it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite lightweight long sleeve shirt that cost me $2 on a mark-down rack is more holes than not. No amount of wabi sabi can save it. I still wear it anyway now and then. Loathe to throw it away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that idea of embroidery over a problem place on clothes. Your wabi sabi repair looks nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!