Thursday, January 27, 2022

Resting on Laurels today

Machboos rubyan was a great success. Handsome Son did it great justice and the evening went FIIIIIIINE.

The overhead light is a task light, very white, for working, so it washed out a lot of color.  But the dish, by the usual table light, was fine, lovely and golden and browned, sizzling hot, smelling like a Bahreini kitchen!



The halibut, a first for me, was just lovely, cooked along with the shrimp, both ready together. 




Anyway it came off really well. And the hand-dipped chocolates and tea afterwards were decadent.

I feel like someone who completed a big project! And we discussed other ways with the same rice, such as hot sausage..this has possibilities. It's definitely joined the repertoire.

Meanwhile, back at the Kindle, I'm reading this













I'm not a big Gilbert fan, usually find her too excitable and breathless and sound-bitey, but this came recommended by Flossie Teacakes, from whom I learned to love English paper piecing, so I thought I'd try it.

She has a couple of interesting ideas about creating. One is that it's not the realm of a chosen few, which I very much agree on. Another is that whether you make a living or not from your creative work, is irrelevant to the work, yes to that too. And you need to honor your ideas when they arrive, not set them aside for a better time. 

She notes the phenomenon where several unrelated people are seized by the same idea at the same time, no way of knowing about the others. Happens in science, math, writing. It can cause a lot of heartburn, too, people thinking their idea was stolen. 

Happened to her and Ann Patchett about a novel. They handled it in a very classy way. That's a story worth your reading.

So far, so good. I may take these pearls and let the rest of the book go. And she'd probably say fine, my work is done! She's nothing if not good natured. 

I have zero commitments on my schedule today. Maybe I will finally try one of those jigsaw puzzles I've been keeping for January, just in time for February..

And dinner is leftover spicy rice with some fresh cooked shrimp and halibut. Hygge.

20 comments:

  1. That does look good! Nice to have some left for dinner tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds like something I need to read. I thought her book "The Signature of All Things" was terrific.
    And it sure looks like your dinner was terrific! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wilma, several nights! It made a lot.

    Mary, if you read it let us know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on that spectacular dinner you prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the success of the recipe

    Interesting book. Honoring ideas when they arrive, eh, doesn't make sense to me because artists have creative ideas, I believe, regularly. If we stopped to honor every idea, then not much would get done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SP, that idea was addressed to people who never give house room to any ideas because they're so self critical that they can't allow their art any oxygen. That's the audience of the book, blocked and nonstarting people who could be makers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ps to Mary, I just borrowed the audio book of Signature, read by favorite presenter Juliet Stevenson. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dinner sounds delicious. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your day sounds perfect. Just set your own agenda and pace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no doubt dinner would be a success. My sister is fond of telling people that I am the talented one to which I always disagree. We all have our talents but she does accept hers as so and yet she is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the dinner went well. You like to cook and must know his tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AC, he's very adventurous in his tastes, so it's great to cook for him. Interesting considering he was a picky eater when young, no two foods could touch etc!

    Yeah, Joanne, this one was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must admit I've never read any Elizabeth Gilbert.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm listening to The Signature of all Things just now, read by the wonderful Juliet Stevenson, and I'm flagging. Not done yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the dinner report. What a hit! Isn't it great when children's picky palates expand in their adulthood?!

    I have not yet become an Elizabeth Gilbert fan. This book sounds interesting, though.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds so good.
    I have that book. A friend gave it to me and I did begin but decided it wasn't relevant at the time. Don't know why. maybe I'll try again.

    And the jigsaw I'm doing is coming together nicely, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's a book for specific times and needs, like Art and Fear. I read some just to find out what she had to say, but it's not a need for me. Ever, really! I've never needed anyone to say go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad the meal was so enjoyable for you both and so happy that you can relax. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, e. Enjoy your weekend,and try to keep warm,you and Lukas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!