Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Preamble to Textiles and Tea

The presenter always asks what's the guest's favorite tea. Mine's English breakfast, sometimes Scottish breakfast.

Handsome Son announced this morning he's visiting tomorrow afternoon, so I needed to make a little something to offer him.

So, between that and this afternoon's T and T requirements, here's the little something. 

It had to be a butter-free recipe, since the butter and a couple of other groceries are coming with Handsome Son tomorrow.

So it's chocolate/ginger/raisin/walnut cake. Very tender, you need a fork to eat this one, very posh.


So I tuned in faithfully to Textiles and Tea




And struggled to hear what the presenter, a charming and very experienced textile artist, was saying. 

Her face was in shadow, her computer sound was muffled, and after conferring in the chat with other people with the same problems, I finally left. 

I did leave a request that presenters be briefed about lighting their faces, and using a mike, not just the built-in sound on the computer

I went to her website instead, and recommend her blog, which I'm now following. 


She's very interested in natural dyeing, from growing the plants to processing the dyes for the yarn she weaves, and in community art projects.

Both close to my heart, having conducted community weaving and mixed media projects myself, and as you know, dyeing from materials I've grown or foraged. 

She did a community art project after 9.11, and incorporated spun and woven paper. She taught people how to spin paper for the purpose. 


 These are four woven panels.

You'll remember my spun paper adventures, learned from Sarah Swett. 

Sarah Haskell's a very spiritual worker, interested in the universal connections via threads and natural materials. And I loved her attitude to art, that you don't start by shopping! 

She points out that almost anything can serve as a loom. Remember in here when I was weaving on branches a while back, and several blogistas tried their hands, too?

Kindred spirits!

Here are images I did get from the presentation, but i don't know what she said about them! 




She's done a lot of residencies, and gave information about finding them, paid and otherwise. They're not as closely guarded a secret as people think. At this moment just a future plan, in view of the pandemic shutting events down. But one day. 

I've done them at local libraries, and they're great. You can learn a lot from the questions as well as get work done as a demo. If they're enlightened enough they can write a grant to pay you.

So, terrific artist, not one of the better episodes, but just go to her blog, it's lovely. You can see the address on her intro pic and the blog for which I did a screenshot.

14 comments:

  1. You are a true wizard in the kitchen, enjoy your visit with HS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like the very last image, the one with the trees. And as usual your cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about the wizard, but yes, I'll enjoy seeing handsome son tomorrow. Surprise visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite tea is called Symphony Blend and is manufactured by Murchie's of Victoria, British Columbia. I believe it is some kind of darjeeling blend. I'm drinking a cup of it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. I'll check that tea out. Me, I brew builder's tea, the kind that you can see me drinking from an enamel mug, in a building site in me work boots. Not really a ladylike tea drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry. After "chocolate, ginger, raisin, walnut cake" my brain quit working. I must make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You didn't miss much! The cake was the best bit of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, being a southerner, like iced tea. My fav is a combination of Moroccan Mint green tea with hibiscus herbal tea. Very refreshing! Your cake looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wilma, that tea sounds exotic. I wonder if I should start investigating iced teas next summer, being a virgin in that respect, aside from chilled lemon sun tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a lovely wall hanging I gave to my first grandchild. The artist used strips of paper with song lyrics. I chose "You are my sunshine." The strips were woven into a colorful plain weave warp. When I was on the road I made a point of collecting weaving. I've given away all but one. Haven't been to the post office, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently had a tea party with my grandchildren using my mother’s China cups. The girls enjoy herbal tea while the youngest has juice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite tea is Lady Grey. I did, once, plant a dyeing herb garden. It was a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What did you plant,Pam? In your climate I think you can grow the madder plant, for lovely pink shades.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chocolate and cake - a marriage made in heaven if you ask me. I'll have mine with oolong tea please.
    Too bad the presentation had issues with the volume level, but at least you discovered an interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!