Sunday, January 2, 2022

Walk in the friendly neighborhood, matinee afternoon

Lovely day, after torrential rain for about 30 hours. Started with a breakfast of pancakes and apricot sauce, that sauce l made for the Christmas ham. It's still going. Very good with pancakes, not very sweet. Also with the milk pudding. Probably with ice cream, too, if I had any which I rarely do.

The sun came creeping out, temps in the 50s f. So after lunch I walked for half an hour, staying on sidewalks because there was almost enough mud everywhere else, and met all sorts of friendly Indian neighbors, lovely teens wishing me happy new year, a little baby in her carriage giving my hair an amazed doubletake, her father waving her hand at me, general cheeriness and masks even outdoors.

To explain about the hair amazement, I've had this experience a few times with Indian babies. They've seen white hair, if grandparents have visited from India, though most of the Indian population here is the younger generation and children. 

But Indian grandparents don't have fluffy curiy white  hair and pink and white faces.  Youngsters meeting me for the first time look in amazement, wondering what has settled on this pink auntie's head! 

Then home to a matinee with tea,  on YouTube.



So wonderful, Rach 2 played by Eileen Joyce, one of whose recitals,  when I was a little kid in the late 40s my older sister (Dogonart on Blogger) took me to.  

It was a postwar commonwealth thing, I believe, a series of world class  performers  from Australia, such as Joyce, and violinist Beryl Kimber, touring England, playing recitals to packed houses at our Town Hall.

I was young and impressionable enough to still remember to this day the events, what the musicians wore (Joyce in blue taffeta, full skirt) the astonishing virtuoso playing. Anyway until today I hadn't realized that the pianist in Brief Encounter was Joyce.

The movie is still so good even if dated and a bit stiff, the comic relief overacted, the symbolism laid on with a trowel, steam trains rushing back and forth, music deafening, colonialism jarring. 

But yet it was still wonderful anyway. Great touches, the struggling cellist playing at the restaurant with the equally struggling violinist, turning up again as the cinema organist!  Highly recommended. 

As one of my friends, now long gone, said about the two principals, when we talked about it long ago, "they didn't even DO anything!" True. 

All about longing and the steamroller effect of sudden passion on affluent proper Londoners whose emotions were firmly battened down under the hatches of polite society,  suddenly finding themselves in a typhoon. In a railway waiting room. Over cups of tea. Irony abounding.

Anyway a well spent afternoon. 




15 comments:

  1. Your walk in the neighbourhood sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to mosey about and have greetings on every hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel Coward's plays have not, in my opinion, aged well. Too arch, too brittle, and too closeted for today's taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree in general. Too BBC, too, and all your adjectives apply there, too. But I do have a soft spot for Brief Encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your walk sounds wonderful. I love your description of the little ones!
    May your new year be healthy, happy, and full of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Bonnie. It's starting pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely afternoon! I hope the rest of the year is this nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you are what a departed friend used to call a Q-tip. I am a no tip, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. E, yes, it was a good start.
    AC, the front of my hair, around my face, is white, the rest dark still. But white is the initial impression.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those old movies with the British being so formal and stiff in posture and in conversation make me wonder how we are to believe that the upper classes ever got around to reproducing. Is that rude? I hope not.
    Your walk sounds so sweet! I love thinking about you in your community. The image of daddies waving their little ones' hands at you. I imagine that you are a beloved auntie in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you say about movie stiffness and total awkwardness is a joke of the working class about the one so called upper class in the UK! Old movies only depict the awkwardness of the privileged. Real people are the character actors, with actual lives.
    I just remembered that the cellist was Irene Handl, one of the best character actors, as well as a brilliant novelist. No stiffness there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never saw the movie but I read the play years ago, as I recall. I'll have to catch the film at some point, if only for the Rachmaninoff! I'm impressed that you even remember what the musicians wore when you saw them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A walk is always better when neighbors are happy and friendly. Yours sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steve, the movie is on YouTube. They really went to town on the effects, for the time, 1945.

    Pam, yes, my years of daily walking around the neighborhood have established me as a kind of local landmark! That and greeting everyone I meet. They've got used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can imagine the mystification a little one would feel seeing someone out of their own realm. Sounds like a wonderful walk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!