Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Pick a card, any card..

As I promised myself, January is a month of resting and not pushing to achieve or even make.

In pursuit of this goal, I bought a pack of playing cards,  and refreshed my knowledge of patience, then learned a couple of other solo games from YouTube.  Carpet, a kid's game, just right for my current aspirations, is fun 

I made two discoveries: one, that either playing cards have shrunk, or my hands have grown since I last remember playing.  The cards seem small.

Also, though I have mixed dominance, can use either hand for many tasks in art and cooking and diy, I am very left handed for dealing and shuffling cards. I tried switching, and got a fountain of cards spraying out.  

I hadn't noticed this before, though I remember my dad commenting long ago in family card games that people might think I was dealing from the bottom of the pack, as a left hander.

Haven't got to my jigsaw puzzles yet, but they're there. Modest size, it's not a competitive sport.

I gather that I'm not alone in returning to mild hobbies from long ago, at this point in the pandemic.  I also wanted to replace screen time with rl pastimes. Of course in order to remember how to set up patience, and learn a couple of new to me games, I had to start with YouTube! Oh well.

Speaking of mild hobbies, remember the Easter eggs, little programming jokes that Microsoft and Google used to bury in their algorithms?  Here's a couple of cool ones that emerged on my timeline today.

Google the word askew. Just the word, no question nor command. See..


And while you're there, instruct Google to do a barrel roll. Now read on.


Now, class, put away your screens because important food is happening.

The salmon I froze from Misfits debuted. It's a 12oz  steak, for two meals for me.

With a bed of spinach and roasted fries, Yukon gold. 

Buttered glass dish for  the steamed spinach and the fish, fresh ground black pepper, potatoes in the 425° oven 15 minutes ahead of the fish, which needed about ten to fifteen minutes, ended up a couple more, the center being thicker.

Took it out as soon as it flaked easily. No need for fancy sauces. This was good already.

And tomorrow I do it again for Twelfth Night, to round out Christmas.

It's all good! 


18 comments:

  1. My Rare One and I play a lot of cards together. Cribbage and canasta figure prominently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to play cribbage with my dad. I remember using matchsticks for pegs, the real ones long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salmon is such a delicious fish. My husband, however, does not really like it. I think that's because you cannot catch salmon in Florida. I always eat some when he's out of town.
    I've been having a good time playing cards with the grandkids. I remember my granny playing with me. My next project in that area is to google how to play Parcheesi. I got a set but it has no directions, having come from some thrift store and I've forgotten now to play. Granny used to play that with us too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no experience of board games new enough to have the instructions! Except the ones who thoughtfully printed them on the inside of the lid. The kids will like playing it with you, once you find out how.

    The salmon was a huge treat. The other half tomorrow. It's rarely in my budget, so enjoyed all the more when I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fish sounds delish! The only card games I ever played as a kid were Go Fish and Rummy, the latter of which I have now forgotten. I like your plan for the month too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brothers and I played so many games as children. I believe I'd know them in a minute if I sat down to play.
    Envelope is stuffed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't be surprised if the cards are smaller. It seems like they are making everything smaller these days, except the price! I hope you enjoy your cards. Have you tried playing Accordion? I used to love that game.
    Your dinner looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Accordion? I don't know that one. I'll check it out, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I checked out accordion, and I think I have to move to the dining table. These games take up space. I must try accordion though.

    I like the way solo games converge. End up with one pile. Or four suits in ascending order. So you know when you're finished. Or have lost, more likely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Google and everything really make is so easy to check definitions -- just highlight, right click, and Bob's you uncle. Works on jus about any device.

    There is probably something to be said for your tactile (analog?) was of playing cards although left-handed dealing must look different.

    I always read or at least scan your posts but don't always comment because your art is beyond me and some of your cooking too. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. The askew joke isn't about definitions, though, is it? I'm guessing the reference to right clicking refers to the mouse? I never use one. Blogging is off my phone or tablet, has been for years, so I had to think twice there.

    I'm glad you read here -- commenting not required, but questions always welcome. Keep on reading and enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for those Easter Eggs! That was fun! Is patience the same as solitaire? For some reason when I hear the game referred to as patience it makes me think of Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, they're the same. I wonder if the name patience dates to her time and the urge to attach a morality lesson to everything? Especially the devil's pasteboards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That salmon looks good! We have salmon most weeks as it's Husband's favourite fish.

    I saw the 'askew' thing on facebook and couldn't understand the joke. Seeing it now on your page I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading the comments. I used to play crib with my grandfather. I wonder if I still have the board.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salmon is probably my favourite fish but it's not often on the menu due to the price, at least here.
    Solitaire is my go-to game on my tablet when I'm having a sleepless night. For some reason I'd rather play it there than haul out the deck of cards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!