Monday, January 10, 2022

I think my resting January is ending

 I resolved to rest, goof off, hibernate for all of January. That was in tired December. Here we are, the tenth, about which more later, and I'm definitely looking forward to a new round of Winnowing.

This is like my beach time. After half an hour of just sitting watching waves and vegging, I'm ready for a nice hike along the shore, a walk to the paperback shore bookstore, birding, drawing, shell collecting. Several hours later I return and find the same people still lying in the sun, chillin.  I think I rest fast or something.

Anyway, January two years ago, pre pandemic, I did  a Great Winnowing, literally emptying my art studio, giving a lot of great materials to younger artists to use, donating to various organizations. Also a lot of other household items to various organizations. Longtime readers will remember the pix of stuff being boxed and bagged and moved, endlessly.

I filled the car to drive useful kitchen and other stuff to the thriftie. Then the pandemic caused the thriftie to lock down. 

Then I ended up, when I really had to replace the  twenty year in old car with a less old one, moving many bags and boxes hither and thither, old car to house again, then out to new car,  till I was able to donate. The  mileage on that stuff..

Since then I've Freecycled a lot of useful home improvement stuff, snapped up by diyers during lockdown, and have had a simpler house.

But here we are, itching to do a bit more, largely because hunting up bits of fabric for underwear repair, still in progress, I noticed how random it all was. 

Things that belonged together turned up in half a dozen places. So that's going to happen.  Reunification of the fabrics and threads and tools, winnowing of surplus same..

Since we're in a new lockdown, I may be carrying a lot in the car again,  till the thriftie opens.

Sandra Boynton gets the feeling.


In other vital news you need right now (predictive text turned my "right now" into "next week". Somebody's not with the program) here's the next bit of fancy repair. 

Owing to overwhelming demand. Well, Becki mentioned it. Note the nice doorway effect in the hem.


This cardi really is near the end of its life. These aren't moth holes, we don't have any, but places where the thread is collapsing. Cashmere is soft, not designed for hard wear. And this is an ancient piece.

I think soon I'll felt this one and use the fabric to stitch cosy bed socks. It's very warm. Meanwhile, it's hanging in there.

And today is my dad's birthday. I have little memory of the deaths of family, probably too traumatic to remember, but I know every birthday.  

He would have been 126 today. Since he died at 63, it's symmetrical. My Mom will register the same numbers on March 6. I've now  been without them for the equivalent of their lifetimes. 

Yes, I was young. They both got sick and went in the same yeara few months apart, before I graduated uni. First university degree earned ever in my extended family. So I hoped they somehow knew it. 

They left school at 12, and had a large family every one of whom emigrated to better things,  had  careers, some spectacular,  and became homeowners into the bargain, all family firsts.  

Emigration wasn't a first --relatives on both sides of the family came to the US in the 1850s, when there was widespread strife and unemployment in Europe. Their descendants are still somewhere about in northern New York State, don't ask me where. Not skilled at tracking, also one family was named Smith, very helpful!

Anyway, I learned a new cardgame this morning in Dad's honor, he being a card fan. I tried Beehive patience. Simple enough for my early morning brain.

So that's all the news that's more or less fit to blog. Did I mention it's also Plough Monday, when, centuries ago, ag labor used to start up again after the Christmas break? Maybe it's in my DNA, to get going again today.




13 comments:

  1. I find it very hard to get rid of things - never know when I'll need it again. I just make everything move over a bit for the new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is a great believer in having backups! Because you never know. I have never needed a backup, nor wanted something I've given away. So I live dangerously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get the urge to sort and cull in January too. It usually lasts for February as well. Then I become a slug for the rest of the year again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have stashes of stuff to give away all over the house. I need to organize THAT and get it gone.
    I once made a stuffed chicken for a grandchild with an old cashmere sweater that was beyond repair. Such a soft thing to cuddle and sleep with! Now almost all of the grands are too old for such things but it's still a good idea.
    I always feel I must earn my rest or else I feel too guilty to enjoy it. I am quite sure I got that from my maternal grandfather. He was a constant do-er.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debra, that sounds familiar!

    Mary, I love the cuddly chicken idea!

    And that idea of having to earn your rest is one I'm trying to move away from. It's ingrained from childhood, the assumption I suppose being that people are naturally lazy and need prodding to get anything done.

    I never saw a lazy baby in my life. More like perpetual motion.

    I just like being active, really. Maybe that's my reward for resting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminded of past blog news, brings up more thoughts on downsizing that needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lost both your parents at such an early age. It had to have been hard to lose both of them so close together too. We always carry them with us though, don’t we?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Marie. There's rarely a day when one or both aren't in my thoughts. I've lost five siblings, too, but it doesn't really compare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cardigan grows prettier and prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winnowing is good. We aren't the best at it and only tend to reduce lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I discovered you near the end of your first great winnowing. I'm still winnowing in the background - I will appreciate and enjoy any inspiration you can bring in that regard if you share it here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That will encourage me to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I swear, everytime I finally get rid of something that's been hanging around for when it might be needed, two or three days later, I could have used it. I've mostly stopped accumulating stuff except for art. Just bought a new print from a woman whose work I have wanted one of for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!