Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Rollercoaster day, mildly

Yesterday did not start out promisingly. First thing as I was dressing, half awake, a text from next door to say my rear car window was open. I hadn't opened it. 

This has happened a couple of times, some electronic quirk, but I've caught it before. This time it had been open throughout a huge rainstorm and now snow. Neighbor came to collect my fob and close the window for me. Today I need to dry it out somehow, now the snow's stopped.

Then a text from Handsome Son to say dental appointment was fine, no work needed, but there was another problem, see following text.

Turns out his house key jammed in the lock, locking him out. Much confusion followed, as neighbor Gary I called for advice said he wasn't home yet but would go by there and see if he could unjam the key. 

Then son says well I'm not there either! On the road from the dentist, having left the condo with the key jammed, not to lose a long standing appointment. Safe enough, since nobody could get in anyway!

Anyway, they did meet, neighbor used WD 40 and a high tech de icer, got the door open. But the key was now turning uselessly along with the barrel of the lock. New lock required. My heart sank, locksmith,$$$$, etc 

But this is where things started looking up. Son came to visit and eat tea loaf with tea, mentioned that Gary suggested they could replace the lock themselves. Or son could get replacement, and call for help as needed. Gary stopped in to confirm all the above.

The tea loaf

went down well, several pieces finding their way next door. Handsome Son polished off a couple more. And I'm having a slice, buttered, for breakfast.

Later son texted: done! No need for help. He bought and installed new lock and knob, would deliver keys to me ASAP. Yay! He really stepped up, not being a handyman usually.

In more good news, the feds opened the portal to order free home Covid test kits early. I jumped on it, ordered for son and me, one package per household allowed, no problem at all. Already got acknowledgement. 

I had decided it wasn't wise after all, to go in symptom free, feeling well, to the local free test site to be possibly exposed to people there because they feel ill with Covid symptoms. So this will do fine.

Yet more good news, this book, Opulent Textiles, arrived, second hand, ex library copy, excellent condition. Today I plan to enjoy this.
















See, even the flyleaf is lovely.

And last bit of good news, all this happened, and son had departed, in time for me to catch Textiles and Tea, which I had thought wouldn't happen this week.

I was particularly interested in this one, since the guest is a bead weaver as well as a loom weaver, incorporating both in her art works.



Her work is spectacular. I have woven beads and worked with freeform beads and wire (she prefers thread) and can attest from a humble standpoint to the stunning skills of her range. I also have a great urge now to do a bit of beading..

But here's some of her wonderful work. She overdyes her weaving threads, too.






She works full-time at Home Depot, and loves it. She says not only does her day job support her, working with window and door installation  with customers gives her ideas for her own artwork, which she attends to evenings and weekend, and feels very balanced.

She makes the point that she can develop her art much better without having to depend on it, and on pleasing buyers, to make a living. That pressure is off.  She can choose whether ir not to teach, same reason, and often chooses not to, but to use her time in the studio on original art. And you can see her results. 

She's a good busineswoman, bought her own domain name years ago, and makes videos to demo. She doesn't like making them, but it's inevitable that she needs to, just to stay visible. 

When she teaches, it's at major events such as HGA Convergence next year, or other groups where the group and location, nowadays Zoom, are organized by the inviters, and she gets to teach. 

I totally endorse this approach, being the way I've always done workshops. It's the best for the teacher to put time and energy into creating the workshop content and materials, without being concerned about pr and registration and site care. 

I'd say she has designed a terrific life for herself. She works many hours and loves it. But oh dear, now I need to bead.. 


25 comments:

  1. You have an amazing neighbour! Such a great helper. Mind you, tea loaf is a great incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All's well that ends well! Except for your poor, snowy car. But it will dry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, last time his partner came over to return containers we were joking about keeping the supply chain working!

    Debra I have to go out and see what I can mop up. But it's not mildew season at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the door lock turned out well.
    Thank you for the reminder to buy de-icer for door locks. It is a must have in winter.
    Happy Beading! Her work looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just now ordered my tests. Glad to hear the lock situation was resolved painlessly. Sorry to hear about the open car window. Been there, done that many times with the old Volvo. The beading and weaving is interesting and she does have a nice balance in her life, getting to make her work without worry of income. It helps that she likes her day job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That much water in the car may require something like a hair dryer. I don't know, really, but it sounds like a lot of wetness got in there.
    You really do have a fine neighbor and good for HS for changing out his lock! How frustrating to be locked out of the house.
    Okay. Show us your beading! I want to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't own a hair dryer! Nor a way to make one reach the car, twenty five feet being the nearest it can get to an outlet! As you see, this had crossed my mind.

    This afternoon after the frost has melted and the sun's been on the car a while, I'll venture forth with towels and energy.

    You saw some of my beading on those figures I made a while back. Quite a bit of the weaving is in collections at this point. I'll see if I can find a link, but I don't look back much, as you may have noted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much happening here! So great that both you and handsome son have such great neighbors. I do too and it's so important to me. And isn't it fun to get a book you've been waiting to read and to enjoy it when it finally arrives?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ellen, yes, she was smart in her choice of day job. It helps that she's physically strong, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary if you scroll back to August 22 and September 20 of 2021 for most recent beadwork. There's beading on the other figures, too, but less intense than here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have a link to that portal for tests? I'm glad all ended well. How is your car?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your neighbor noticed the open window. Hopefully it will dry out in a few days. Glad your son fixed his door lock issue. It's always good when you don't have to pay the big bucks to an expert. The tea loaf sounds good. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. E, I found the link on Twitter, but I'll see if I can track it down. You might also try googling at this point, chances are that will get you there. I'll try both and let you know.

    Bill, yes, always good to avoid fees. My neighbor is committed to never paying for service if he can avoid it. Horrified when I mentioned a locksmith.

    ReplyDelete
  14. E, try:

    COVIDtests.gov

    I did and it got me to the sign up screen okay. You may have to cut and paste, since Blogger doesn't permit live links in comments. Probably a spam guardrail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a drag about the car, but thank goodness the lock didn't turn out to be a major problem!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your new book is truly sumptuous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We get so involved in our children's dilemmas! It never stops.
    I ordered that sewing book you mentioned before for Daughter for her birthday next month. It has arrived and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope she enjoys it.

    The involvement with my son in this instance, is legal -- he's my tenant! So he did me a huge favor by tackling the lock himself, saving me a good bit of $$. But I was legally bound to secure the property swiftly. So all's well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well. Comments have gotten away on me again. So....instead of inundating you with an influx of out-of-date drivel, I will simply dive in where you're at and make yet another resolution to do better in the future.
    I'm sorry about the open window issue - do you have any newspapers on hand? I've heard that crumpling them up and leaving them in the general area will help absorb excess moisture but can't speak from experience.
    Won't go into the debacles here over getting rapid tests. Now they're saying not to bother getting tested and just assume that you have it. That means that the publicly reported number of cases is a whole lot lower than actual fact .

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad for both of you that your son was able to replace the lock. Have you figured out your car window situation? Sounds so weird. And terribly inconvenient. Are we going to be seeing some new beading projects here soon? =^)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad the trouble with windows and doors got settled, but maybe the window will become an ongoing saga.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Frustrating when the car window is down - all night, in the rain. I like doing bead work. Oddly enough I find it soothing as all my concentration is on the work and everything else sort of floats away.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree about beadwork. Or any close fine work. You get engrossed and worries just fade into the background.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My sister loved beadwork and taught the grands. Then those braided bracelets came along and that became their consummmmming interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!