Sunday, January 16, 2022

Personal triumphal discovery

This is a niche moment of great excitement to this lifelong amateur botanist. 

When I was a little kid, north Yorkshire moors, I loved to find a little plant with tiny green cushions on the stems where flowers would be. You pinched and sniffed and got a lovely scent of what I thought then was fresh apples only better. Locally kids called it chickweed, but it didn't resemble anything you see as chickweed when you look up the word.

I've been longing to identify it, wrote about it in here some time ago, no joy other than being assured whatever it was, it wasn't chickweed, which I already knew.

Then yesterday, wow! Following along one of Atomic Shrimp's  YouTube videos, doing a foraging walk, there it is, the very thing! 


He says it's pineapple weed, and describes that scent as pineapple. Which would explain why a three year old English kid in wartime with no experience of tropical fruit, didn't recognize the scent.

And it's edible. As a country kid  made very much aware of not eating anything a grown-up hadn't passed as edible, I hadn't known this. You can even make tea with it. Well, finding out it's wild chamomile makes that clearer, now that knowing the pineapple weed name has opened up ways to learn about it.

The examples he finds in a field in the South of England are much taller than I remembered though. So I plunged into other websites for more info and found it can grow as small as I remember it, just a few inches, by roadsides and heavily trodden paths, in more northern temperatures.  

So my excitement and relief at having sn eighty, that is not a typo, year old question answered was huge. 

I told you this was a niche thing. My botanical research is complete.

To quote the divine Louis: what a wonderful world.

Speaking of which, here's the upcoming weather



18 comments:

  1. What a satisfying discovery after all those years! I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that makes perfect sense! I love how your life-long search all came together to give you the complete picture! Isn't that a joy?
    Now that coming up storm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I guess sometimes you just have to wait for the answer to show up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never have tried chamomile tea myself - does it taste or smell anything like pineapple? I remember my happiness when as a 50 year old I discovered one of my favorite flavors from when I was child on Okinawa - it was sweet mochi. I seek it out whenever possible to relive those worry-free childhood days. I imagine it was similar to your triumph, even if short by 30 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wilma, I've never had chamomile tea either. I've only seen it dried and packaged. Maybe other blogistas can tell us more.

    Bill, yes, though this was quite a long wait.

    Mary ,yes, I gave a squee when I saw it. Chance favors the prepared mind. Mine's been prepared a long time for this discovery!

    Debra, yes, satisfying is right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to find the answer you've been searching for for so long! Things like that from our childhood can really have special meaning. I would love to find some pineapple weed just to be able to smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I think it may be a European plant. Or the blogistas reading here would probably have known it. They're very good in north American plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After all those years, home to roost.
    I'm looking forward to just an edge of that storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snow started a while ago. It's going to veer between snow and icy rain and high winds while it decides what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Handsome Son just texted to say he was safe home. Very happy to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that was a through and diligent search, and you have been rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great is that! Now you just need to plant some. Chamomile tea is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a European strain of wild chamomile. I doubt if I could find or import it. I wonder if the scent survives hot water, come to think of it. But I'm content with having identified it at last.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have to watch out for escaping chamomile. That's something nobody warned me about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Liz, does the plant smell of pineapple? Or is it just the wild variety?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tada!!! So glad you found an answer after lo these many years. It is such a satisfying feeling.

    I love pineapple weed, ever since I discovered it when in college in New England some 50 years ago. I stepped out of a car in a gravel parking lot and was engulfed in pineapple aroma. It couldn't possibly come from those tiny little weeds I was stepping on?!?

    I haven't tried making tea from it, but it's not the same species as the cultivated-for-tea chamomile.

    Well done, you!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes I think the "wild chamomile" name is confusing. it's not really a wild version of the cultivated chamomile.

    But I'm glad that it does appear in this continent, too, so I might encounter it again with luck. The fairly similar species I've seen don't have that characteristic scent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!