Saturday, January 8, 2022

Hand stitching, composition, chicken noodle soup

Yesterday I was moseying about online as you do, and found a reference to chicken soup with ginger and turmeric. 

To think it is to do it around here, well, yesterday, anyway. 

I've been planning for years to make chicken soup, and yesterday the planets were in alignment, I rummaged around the bottom of the freezer and found a chicken thigh.

So, I poached it to tender in stock, turmeric and loads of fresh ginger and whole tellicherry black peppercorns, while I ssuteed tons of onion and garlic in oil, then strained the poaching liquid into the onions, added more broth, and simmered. Then I blended it smooth. 

I had a large bag of spinach and a handful of broken spaghetti ready, plus the chicken now in bite size bits. They all needed about ten minutes. Bunged them all in, and this doesn't look like chicken noodle on account of the spinach. Koi Pond Noodle, thank you Steve and e.

Anyway it was great. Very spicy but not gasp for air spicy, gingery not peppery. Definitely worth doing. More interesting than chicken soup I've had up to now. If course, since this time I'm not taking it to fight a cold, I can taste it, which definitely makes a difference.

I have some cod left from the recent cod capers, and I'm thinking of a chowder involving cod and shrimp, which I also have. Must check that out. 

A friend of mine used to talk about a great finnan haddie recipe she made, using cod. When I said but haddie means haddock, so you made finnan coddie, she was not amused. Anyway following her lead, maybe I'll make clam chowder using cod and shrimp.

Moving on to the suddenly busy bird feeder on the patio, temp in the teens f., birds all puffed out, running about making zigzag tracks. My attempt is capture the tracks didn't work but I managed a very nice  accidental blurry composition, here

Today's Tatter is about a lovely young hand stitcher, about to teach online courses in hand making your own clothes. A bit pricey, but if you learn these skills, they're good for your lifetime.





Hand making includes making your own buttons, covered, or Dorset, or clay. These are her covered buttons. I added in the Dorset and clay because I've made them.

And as you know, I do like the slowness and thoughtfulness of hand stitching your own clothes, and longtime blogistas have had blow by blow coverage of various items now in use. More to come. I have plans.

Like spindle spinning your own yarn, collecting your materials to make paper, hand stitching is about connectedness.  Also kindness to the earth. And a great sense of content. Not a bad ROI.

15 comments:

  1. The observations about hand stitching and relationships with clothes while making them cause me to wonder -- is there a "slow sewing" movement (like the slow food movement, etc.?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is, I've been in it for decades! There might be, but I don't know if there's a formal organization about it. Good question. I wonder if other blogistas know anything about it? Comments welcomed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought the same thing as Debra. Slow cooking/slow sewing. I consider this all the time, actually. Don't know if there's a movement or an organization but I am sure there are plenty of people who practice many forms of the "slow" variety. And they all increase our awareness, I think, of what it is we are actually doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any kind of hand stitching skill left me when my eyesight 'slowed' down. Knitting and crocheting, embroidery and suchlike all disappeared from my life. But cooking hasn't. I also raided the fridge and freezer a few days ago for things that might be combinable and came across celery sticks, shallots, lardons, chicken thighs, hoisin sauce and a whole bag of spinach. The resultant mess actually tasted quite acceptable. I have another portion left. I wonder what it's like as leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frika, anyone who has lardons in the kitchen is a real cook! Years ago another friend, another great cook, mentioned pancetta to me. At that time I had no idea what it was, asked, and she said, oh, you know, like lardons!! Leaving me none the wiser at that time!
    I expect it will be even better next time you serve it.

    Mary, yes, your from scratch thoughtful cooking, and your mending, too, are a kind of slow meditative approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind a foot powered sewing machine but I still want a sewing machine for sewing garments. I already have one time consuming endeavor with no guarantee I'll like the eventual result. Cooking now, cooking is always by scratch, except the little bit of bread I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, well. I've made my own lardons for years. I just call them bacon bits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bacon bits sounds more explanatory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurrah for making your own clothes!
    A garment that fits well in a design I like is perfect for making a freezer paper pattern. Old, the open the seams to use the pieces as the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like hand stitching (be it embroidery, sewing, crocheting). Focuses my thinking brain and allows my subconscious to hear and see other things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly, Pam. It really adjusts your vision for the better, getting you away from the product as you enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SP, yes, no need to buy paper patterns, which often need adjusting anyway.
    Which reminds me that I really need new fabric scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That soup is a beautiful color! I first heard of "finnan haddie" in the lyrics of the song "My Heart Belongs to Daddy," and I didn't have the slightest idea what it was. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I expect it was just an irresistible rhyme for Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Personally I think I'd rather have your version of chicken soup - at least it's more colorful than the norm and, to my eyes, looks a whole lot more appetizing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!