Monday, December 7, 2020

Full moon for Advent

 Bit late for the actual full moon, but nonetheless welcome.  At this point I want to see what the whole thing will look like when we get there.  Meanwhile, it's really cool to come downstairs and see what today's about each day.


Today I got a really welcome email, from Cesar, one of the friends I made during my freecycling years.  A very nice man indeed, a saintly person, who used to collect good items from freecycle then personally take and give them to people in a very poor parish in Trenton.

I sent him a lot of the things from my friend Karen's house when she died and I was helping her sisters empty the place.  She was a world-class shopper, only the best, and Cesar literally took a carload of brand new teddybears and gave them to children personally.  And many unopened bottles of perfume, very good brands, the kind with the glass sculpture bottles, went to women who never had a luxury.

It was a good feeling to know Karen's stuff was going exactly where she'd have wanted it, she being the most generous of souls.  The bears had been intended for gifts to her students, also low income special needs, so she'd have approved.  Her clothes went elsewhere, too small for the people he knew!  She was tiny. And her massive collection of cookbooks still in the original shrinkwrap, not a cook, but loved good food, went all over. My cleaning family was thrilled when they took a stack of them.  I had invited them to pick some or all of a large bunch I'd left out for them.  They left just one, probably for good manners!

Back to Cesar: the reason the email was welcome was that he is usually in touch with good wishes at every holiday throughout the year, and I hadn't heard from him at Thanksgiving, so I was very anxious, considering our times.  But no, he's fine, his wife and family are fine, and I was so happy to return good wishes to him for the holidays.

A couple of years ago he was planning to try his hand at learning to bake over the winter.  They're a Chinese Filipino family, baking not high on their agenda usually, so it was new to him. I gave him books to get started, from the cookbooks I was downsizing, also some of them from Karen, still in the original shrinkwrap.  He was quite pleased when I insisted these were for him, not to give away again! He also said he was reviewing his Mandarin, since he'd got rusty with using English for so many years since he came to the US. His Spanish and English fluent. He's also a poet, in Chinese and English.  I like how he's always learning, despite getting up there in years.

And my last shout out today is to those readers who have been alone since March.  There are quite a few of us with no family at all in their house, some who literally have seen nobody from their family, if they still have family, for months.  I live alone, too, but I do have the huge luck of having a weekly brief distanced visit from Handsome Son.  However without even that, it would be hard indeed, and I just want you to know I know, and I'm thinking of you, and I know that pain when people talk all the time about "we".  Not saying they shouldn't, just that it's a pang for some of us to hear it.  And we need to acknowledge that, we have to deal with all this daily,  no need to keep silent on it. 

We're all hopeful now that a vaccine will soon taper off the pandemic, but realistic in that we don't expect that to happen very quickly.  But there's a glimmer of light.  And now that we seem to have seen off the bad guy in the White House, that's looking better, too.  Especially if we manage to see off the election runoffs in Georgia successfully. 

Hope is on the way for all of us.  

I have a birthday soon, and Handsome Son has been wanting to know what I want about it. I usually ask for a service or a meal cooked or something.  This year I'm asking him to reverse our usual routine when he visits, and he will provide the baked goods and organize the pots of tea and I'll just be a guest on my own sofa!  He's fine with this, and I'll enjoy it a lot. I told him not to bother with a card, to which he said, too late, you're getting one!

Remember that municipal holiday meal for seniors I had such a hard time getting registered for? It happens soon, and there's been a new email begging people to sign up, plenty of slots available, and here's how to do it. I suspect a lot of people were kicked off the website just as I was, and have given up!  I hope they get in touch personally and say sign me up, the website won't do it.  Anyway, I hope my vegetable lasagna is worth the trouble we all went to.  I'll let you know.


17 comments:

  1. Cesar sounds like a truly splendid human being and a bright light in anyone's life who is lucky enough to know him. Thank you for telling us about him.
    I love your birthday plan. Sometimes the best thing we can do is to tell others what we truly want. It makes things easier on them and...we get what we want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it when people tell me what they want. I don't pick up cleverly on hints, and my son is the same.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out to people like myself who live alone with no family here. It's been relatively easy for me, but by now it's getting a bit harder. March 18, was the last time I was in a grocery store. And I love to chat with strangers. Miss that so much. Friends stop by with special groceries I can't get at Walmart where I do my shop online and pick up at the store. I see my neighbor and all her farm animals. So it really has been OK for me. Blogging and emails have helped too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, blogging and email have been a lifeline, also online library access. And zooming.

      Delete
    2. I've tried three times to leave a comment in your blogpost about Faith, not working. Anyway I loved the picture of her doing a sit, showing off her learning!

      Delete
  3. Great post, thank you. There are a lot of use alone, but not without recources for security.
    Your friend Caesar is a lovely person to have in your life. It is good to read about giving people.
    Happy Birthday Soon! Your sofa service sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's nice to know there are good caring people out there who make that a part of their lives after the last four years of cruelty and meanness and stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a reminder that there have always been good people around, who don't make the evening news.

      Delete
  5. It can’t be easy to have been alone all these months on lockdown. Thank you for the reminder! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For an introvert, there are compensations. However there's a lot a single person can't take for granted.

      Delete
  6. We need a lot more Cesar's in this world - bless him. I do hope he reads your blog and sees what you've written about him.
    I know how lonely it must be during these times and it appears as though the end to it isn't anytime soon either. I try to look after my 92yr old friend who hasn't set foot (beyond getting her mail and taking out her garbage) outside her condo since March. I can't go into her building to spend time with her but we talk on the phone every day and I deliver her groceries to her lobby. I really don't know how she's coping with the loneliness but I know her daughter calls her every day and she talks to me. Luckily she is quite involved on the computer (she's a genealogist) and that keeps her occupied. I don't know how people who have no hobbies and no family connections are able to manage. You have Handsome Son and really great neighbours so that's really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'd be very embarrassed to read my praise! Very Chinese culturally, where you don't show off, even indirectly. But he knows I think a lot of him.

      I bless the home computer these days, since so much of my life takes place on it. I stepped up my blogging and following since the pandemic got under way, and have got a lot of benefit from it.

      Delete
    2. "I stepped up my blogging" - and glad we are for it!

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  7. What a pleasure to read about Cesar. :) And I appreciate your personal words here, Liz. It is important to be reminded that we are each experiencing this COVID time as well as our country's social upheaval and the election issues differently - and not just because of our different bents, but also, sometimes, because of life's circumstances. Can I tell you something? ...if I found myself alone, I'd sure want to be known as that interesting lady who's always up to some new experiment. Having a constant companion (while I'm thankful for him) tames the part of me that would have projects strung all over the house. Not saying you do that. Just that I would. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im happy that Cesar is getting his due in here. And yes, there are pluses and minuses to our different life situations.

      Delete
  8. It is hard being alone specially during the holiday season. I have two children in other states - too far to drive and one here in Texas though I don't see her as often as I'd like due to distance (it's a big state). Your friend sounds like a wonderful person and how good to be able to distribute things to those that will love them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!