Monday, December 14, 2020

Reynard shows up

 Here's today's Advent Calendar door.  Reynard, fox of folklore and myth, taking a quiet nap with a friend.


And yesterday, I got all dressed up.  Found and put on The Official Pearls.


Handsome Son showed up with groceries and a marbled poundcake, which we dived into happily. He had apparently examined all the baked goods on offer and finally decided we'd both like this.  He eventually went home with half of what was left after we had had enough cake.  I must say, that sitting and being served cake and tea, and a friendly card, on a warm sofa, is a terrific birthday celebration.


And he brought down the box of Christmas stuff, all bits and bobs, really, so I set up the creche together with a display of handmade ornaments Handsome Partner had got from a colleague many years ago, and used to decorate his little fake tree.  Woven star on the roof of the stable.


Handsome Son picked out his favorite figurines and toys, and included an Izzy doll in the display on the mantelpiece. Dark, rainy morning, not good for pix.  But can you see the handcarved llama there, next to a doll.  I suggested putting him closer to the creche figures, but Handsome Son said, no, that might hurt the doll's feelings if we push her out!  I think he's got into the spirit of fantasy around here.


And the Dollivers and their dogs demanded, and got, a display of their own, complete with handmade felt stars, made in the Himalayas, if I remember right, which were a benefit for the Snow Leopard foundation.

That's it, totally, for the season.  I feel as if I've done my bit now.  And my neighbor across the street has obligingly started with hanging lights outside, and a wreath and there's a huge tree in her living room, visible from the door, which I will enjoy a lot once she gets it decorated, as she usually does each year.

I think our little family may be in for an electronic Christmas.  Handsome Son's main laptop has started breaking down, after years of hard wear, and he's out shopping today for a replacement. It's his work laptop on which he's been doing his high tech part time project work.  Sad news there, it's going away at the end of the month. The project was based on a process which Adobe is withdrawing December 31. So he's handling it like a trouper, as he does everything.  It's a hit to his income, though.  On the good side, he won't have to buy the highest end laptop, just one that will accommodate his other testing gigs.

And my Android tablet is being overcome by upgrades in websites and browsers to the point where the processor is giving up the struggle.  I've used it constantly since 2012, so it's not too surprising. In tablet terms it's practically an antique.

Since I don't like Apple, find it overpriced and cultish, I've avoided going there, but the Android tablet world has not advanced.  They seem to have been overcome by Apple tablets, and there's little to find on the market, except for Samsung, the one with the reputation for bursting into flames.  So I'm reluctantly having to consider an iPad.  Which is interesting, in that there aren't any available until several weeks from now.  Seemingly the Apple elves have been overcome by demand, probably from pandemic changes, I'd guess. 

Sooooo, maybe in January I'll have an iPad and be functional again with a tablet.  Right now I'm overloading my phone, an Android with limited memory, and firing up my laptop much more.  The good news about my phone is that it will weather the upgrade to 4G.  It's on the Tracfone list of phones that don't need to be replaced when cell towers move to 4G at the end of December.  Another deadline.  Some of these were set to happen early this year, but the pandemic caused carriers like Verizon to rethink their timing, and push it back to the end of the year instead.

I plan to reimburse Handsome Son for the new laptop, since I was going to give him Christmas money anyway, may as well do it that way.  And I have to save up for my tablet.  Always something!   But here's the good thing:  I will be able to do it.  So there's that, too.

All in all, on balance, as the politicians say, all's good here.

16 comments:

  1. Happiest Birthday! It all looks like you two have a wonderful celebration.

    Cell towers changes? I hadn't heard about it. Oh dear.
    Researching an affordable laptop began for me last week. This is the best time of year with all the sales going on. From what I see so far, I'd love to get another Dell system. As for Apple, out of my price range, but would buy if I win the lottery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pc computer type. Current laptop is in fact an Asus notebook. It's like a religion, you get Apple fans and pc fans and ne'er the two shall meet! I really feel as if I've gone over in some way considering an Apple product!

      Delete
  2. we are apple folk ever since we bought our first two computers in 1986 (I think, give or take a year). apple may be overpriced but my desktop iMac is at least 10 years old, older I think, and it is still fine. my daughter and grandkids go PC laptops and have to replace them every 2 - 4 years.

    glad you had a good birthday. lovely pearls. I have three strands...on my parents gave to me, one my mother-in-law gave (hers), and the third strand was either my mother's or my aunt's. can't remember exactly but all are short, not chokers but close to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good reference for Apple. I am onto my third computer since the early 90s. The first was a multipart desktop deal, with a tower, since then one laptop and the current notebook. About every ten years on average. Not too bad. Current one is fine. It's the tablet that's becoming obsolete.

      Delete
  3. Looks like an appropriately attired and quite perfect birth day celebration. That Handsome Son is most definitely a keeper!
    So sorry for the electronic woes, something that comes to us all sooner or later. Very sorry HS is losing one of his sources of income - hopefully something else is in the offing that will replace it for him.
    And I would say those Christmas decorations are pretty well perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with my modest display! And, yes, I'm fervently hoping he is able to replace that income. He has a few ideas to pursue.

      Delete
  4. Those pearls are gorgeous! Just so elegant. I am drawn to pearls with a passion and those are lovely.
    And of course I adore your dollies. They are so full of personality.
    I am an Apple cult member. Always have been. My husband is even coming around. He just got some Apple ear buds and the is amazed at all they do for him. I think you will love your iPad. At least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a great birthday. The pearls are beautiful. A treasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I got them out I noticed the appraisal paperwork, which showed they were a birthday present thirty years ago.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday it must be wonderful to have a handsome son come by and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You asked if I was a local history buff on my latest blog post.

    I guess I am though I haven’t really thought about it. I like knowing about the things and places I see so you are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed you often supply the background to your walks and rides. It's very interesting.

      Delete
  8. Happy Tuesday birthday and a lovely celebration today with HS. IMHO, as yet another Sag, it always seems more Christmasy after the birthday - one celebration at a time, and in order.

    Your bits and bobs create just the right amount of festive feeling. That woven star looks complicated!

    Cheers!
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right! As a kid I was always very anxious about Christmas maybe obliterating my important day!

      For the last couple of years Mike and I have put out the decorations on or near my birthday, feeling that was about right, one thing at a time!
      Thank you for the good wishes.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!