Tuesday, December 1, 2020

First day of the Advent Calendar

 First of December, White Rabbits, first day to open a door on the Advent calendar, and the Season of Sagittarius is under way.

This month, several of my friends, in rl and online, have birthdays, aside from that big one on Christmas Day, so happy birthday to you all, and I hope you're reading in here. Sags rule!


Today is that really misguided day, Giving Tuesday, which started out as a nice idea to remember the nonprofits before the for-profits start to rake in the holiday takings.  But it's got to be a mad rush of demands and emails and promotions for nonprofits which are not on my radar at all.  I think giving ought to happen any old time, and especially if you find you have a bit of extra money in the kitty.

My usual default is local and immediate, mainly the food pantry, which can use money better than actual cans and boxes of food. They know better than I do what's needed right now, and it's not always food.  Often people are desperate too, for sanitary and hygiene items, none of which are covered by any insurance and certainly not government programs.  But the need is there and it's pressing.  So it's a good idea to think about that.

People feel very good giving actual items, and I don't discourage that, if they check first to see what's needed.  But it's still good to remember that cash is good, since food pantries and banks can use it to get items at reduced cost. 

Right now people who even as recently as March would never have thought they'd need the help of a township food pantry are finding they do.  Their jobs and worlds have collapsed around them. Those of us who have the luxury of continuing our ordinary lives with just a few restrictions would do well to remember that.  Pay it forward, okay?  There, but for the grace of God, and that train of thought.


15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's the time of year when they come crowding in.

      Delete
  2. I always take the grandkids to the food bank to donate this time of year. Don’t know how we do that this year other than write a check and mail it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite as dramatic a lesson for little kids in giving and remembering other people don't have much, but it will get the job done.

      Delete
  3. I said white Rabbits this morning too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Now you're guaranteed good luck all month. They say.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of saying white rabbit or rabbit rabbit but it has come across my view a lot this year. what's it all about Alphie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old tradition in europe that saying white rabbits, or rabbit, rabbit, or, like Alice in Wonderland, rabbits and hares, first thing in the morning of the first brings luck for the month. Remember Alice realizes she forgot it first thing and tries to make up for it frantically?

      Not sure anyone knows the origin. There are some people who insist it's only said in certain months, but they're a breakaway sect.

      Delete
    2. Which reminds us of the notion of carrying a rabbit's foot for luck. Not so lucky for the rabbit.

      Delete
    3. I think we said Rabbits, not white rabbits.

      Delete
  5. White rabbits - rabbits, rabbits. Never heard of that but I shall have to add it to my book of "you never know what works"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute advent - something to brighten your days over the next while. Should have a tea ceremony along with the grand opening each day (just a thought!).
    Thank you for the well-thought-out discussion regarding Giving Tuesday. It's a new concept I hadn't heard of before this year and now it seems to be absolutely everywhere. I know the charitable organizations are suffering this year but I will stick to the ones that we always support and try to give a little more. I tend to wonder if this Giving Tuesday thing will become as in-your-face as Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess everyone's more desperate for funding this year. Ut that's why I'm giving for basic needs, not to keep an agency going.

      Delete
  7. Love the calendar. I'm a Capricorn...Dec 23rd. I was always ripped off for birthday and Christmas gifts....grumble...grumble.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!