Saturday, December 12, 2020

The star arrives

 The snowshoe hare got the elf's attention and showed him where the Star is approaching.



And, on the reading front, I found a mystery writer I'd never heard of.  Turns out she had a lot of Christie's ideas before Christie did, what with impersonation, mutual protection, the amateur sleuth along with the official police, the unknown stranger, the country house, the maids and butlers. The Cosy, in fact.

And since she was writing in the Golden Age, where marketing was king, the Christie machine got ahead of her, and now she's scarcely heard of.  But this is a rattlin' good story, all the same.  About as serious as a Christie, and pretty puzzling, too.  I had several ideas about whodunit, but was wrong in the end. So I recommend this.  My library only has this one, but I managed to get some low cost other ones for my Kindle. Winter afternoon reading.



And I've been thinking about cabbage and leeks, yes, my life is riveting, partly because I had supplies of them in the freezer waiting for me to do something about them.  I love this vegetarian book of Ottolenghi's and even if you never cook from it, it's beautiful to handle and just see the photography.  I remembered having made an elaborate vegetable pie thing out of here ages ago, so I took a look.


And quickly found that since I have neither puff pastry, nor Gorgonzola, nor broccoli, I was a bit stymied with this recipe.  But I recommend it if you have the ingredients.


 I remembered some cabbage pie ideas from YouTube, still held back by a lack of cheese, it's on the grocery list for this week, decided to go to war with the food I had.


Namely, leek whites, red cabbage, cooked pumpkin, white onions, nice addition of capers. 
Three eggs, flour, nutmeg, a spoonful of plain yogurt, Dijon mustard, beaten up as a sauce.
Then all baked at 400 for about 40 minutes, resulting in this interesting stuff



The roast potatoes were just fine, the cabbage mixture lacked a little oomph, so after I sampled it I decided it might work better as a soup.  Sooooooo, a quart of chicken broth and a dash of lemon juice later, simmering and  blender at work, here it comes, with a sprig of lemon balm to decorate it


It's really odd to have a tangy soup, which  tastes pretty good, and looks like dessert.  But if you can get past expecting it to be some fruit deal because of  the color, it's fine.


11 comments:

  1. You always amaze me with your food combinations and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup is quite beautiful - but does rather lead one to expect blueberry than savory.

    I've never heard of Annie Haynes - will look her up. That Ottolenghi book looks delicious - will look it up as well. You have expanded my literary repertoire.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear. Ottolenghi's books are all artworks, great food for the spirit as well as the body. They're worth owning as physical books rather than as online viewing. My Jerusalem has a padded cover, lovely to handle.

      Delete
  3. Never, ever even heard of Annie Haynes!
    That soup does indeed look intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she'd been a man you'd have heard of her among the other Golden Age mystery writers. But the publishing world only allowed one female star and the well-connected, socially posh Christie was their obvious choice.

      But we can now right the balance.

      Delete
  4. OK, this one finally got a little to weird for me. but I admire your explorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too a bit. But it's worth trying stuff just to find out.

      Delete
  5. Lots of goodies here. You have been busy. A funny thing happened, I ordered the book on my Kindle and was told I had already bought it and would not be charged the 99 cents. If I read it again and like it, I'm so happy to see all the rest were 99 cents too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like it, there's more where it came from. I'm now into The Secret of Greylands

      Delete
  6. I trust the artists and other color knowledgeable readers realized I was trolling you by putting a purple soup into a yellow bowl? opposite on the spectrum, making the purple pop more than ever...No? nevermind..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!