Friday, December 4, 2020

Second Friday since the last misfits box...means another one is here

 But first, it seems to be time to be in touch with Santa, as this little elf  is demonstrating today in the Advent Calendar


And since there's no knowing exactly when my Misfits box will arrive, tracking telling me it was loaded hours ago at their depot about ten minutes from here, I thought I'd better observe Action Stations.  

 
I find I was lucky in my choice of time to start with Misfits, since I get a delivery every two weeks, and it conveniently was not Thanksgiving week, and will not be Christmas week, either.  So I don't get any interruption in service, as they say.  I hadn't thought about this at the time.

Meanwhile, since I was in the kitchen anyway, I made a big pot of pumpkin, carrot and cashew soup, with plenty of nutmeg, a bit of curry powder, and a dash of lemon.



Which eventually became this, and very nice it was, too.


And when I'm not reading Olive and Mabel,  I'm into another Lisa See, very readable, even if hard to cope with at times, but she's a terrific storyteller. Two sisters who grow up fairly affluent and unthinking in Shanghai, where they earn money modeling for an advertising artist, until their lives come to a crashing halt when their father loses his entire property, and they are more or less traded to his creditor as wives to his sons.  Much complication follows, including the Japanese invasion and some scenes I felt I had to read, because historically this sort of thing did happen, but I was glad to move on from.  They eventually get to San Francisco, and that's where I'm up to.  It's unputdownable.


Then over lunch, there was a presentation from Amherst, which Emily Dickinson fans know as the home territory of the poet and a lot of history.  This was a series of slide presentations from four well prepared people, who know their stuff.  The Emily Dickinson Museum click here to see more, does a lot of these Zoom deals;  the material is usually very good indeed, and the technical knowhow of the academic presenters friendly, but not always on top of it.

Today there were a few, um, you're muted, Dr. Blank, no,  you're still muted.  Can you take over the screen now, thank you?  and a few muttered oops, mixed the buttons up, in the background.  But it is usually really good, and with none of the fake slickness you get in documentary type work.

I think of this as Zoom Without Tears, since all I have to do it click on the link and watch and listen.  No need to sit right in the right place, adjust my lighting so I look a little less like I've been dead a couple of days, and find and fix my sound levels. It's very restful.

This one examined the Dickinson family's relations to the College, which one of them founded, at terrible cost to himself, and their relation  to the town, the Civil War, race relations, immigration, flower pressing always gets in, she did a lot of it, and her college coursework. It was a lovely program, and I think may be found on their website, you could check at that link.




Then finally, the Misfits box arrived and did not disappoint.  This week it's top-heavy with fruit, enough for my daily intake for two weeks, urgent need.  The lettuce and Roma tomatoes and celery are all involved in tonight's supper.  The chocolaten, some ferociously dark stuff, with seasalt, is a little treat for Handsome Son, the dark chocolate lover.



And here's my supper, coming to the table shortly. I have a whole range of apple varieties, and I forget which this is, I took off the label, but it's crisp and juicy, even if anonymous.


So that's a quiet Friday around here.  Also I did some spinning in case I ran out of things to attend to..

15 comments:

  1. Happy Friday. Your misfits boxes have all looked nice, variety and condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each week I wonder if I've just been lucky up to now, and then it turns out well yet again.

      Delete
  2. your soups always look so good. I read Shanghai Girls years ago and the one that comes after, Dreams of Joy which is a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for both comments. I'll note Dreams of Joy. I'm guessing that's a double meaning, one about joy and one about little Joy

      Delete
  3. I will make a note of Lisa See for my next excursion to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Snow Flower (?) and the Hidden Fan (?), titles not my strength, on a friend's recommendation, reluctantly, then found it was so well written, fast narrative, that I'm continuing with See.

      Delete
  4. I read that book too. It's a good one.
    It must be a little like Christmas to get that box every two weeks. I love what you put together from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to open the box and get that old fashioned smell like a greengrocer's shop. They're much more fragrant than the shop bought produce. And even though I've chosen the contents, it still feels like a surprise.

      Delete
  5. And again - I have got to investigate the MisFits program. Your box always looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your misfits box looks wonderful once again. I hadn't realized (or managed to not pay attention!) that you are able to choose what you get in the box. That makes it a whole lot more fun because you know what you're getting is something you will actually want to eat. And I'll have to do a search at the library site to see if they have that latest book in their collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find misfits much superior to the local farmshare where you just got what they gave, no advance info, no choices. But that's one farm. Misfits gets produce from many suppliers. When I put in my order, the Sunday before delivery, I get choices in several categories, as well as add ons. So I can plan.

      Delete
  7. I bought misfit potatoes and was not disappointed. In three weeks however, the price has doubled. Not sure I’ll buy them at the higher price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if someone is exploiting a market. Misfits Market buys and sells at a discount. The advantage of scale.

      Delete
    2. And you live in potato country!!!!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful produce. Thanks for the Lisa See title.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!